Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Question Triggerfish/Book/Care

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to find a book/s on triggerfish or a book related to setup and care. I'm really interested in the Undulated and Titan triggerfish. I want to start with the Undulated triggerfish first. Once I get experience with that one, I want to get a bigger aquarium and then get a Titan triggerfish. Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:48 PM
Team RC Member

I think you'll find the most up to date and valid information here, from people doing it. I don't know of any books specializing in triggerfish set-up and care. For the most part, they are hardy fish, and do well if they have good water quality and diet, as well as enough room and appropriate tankmates.

There are several people that post in this forum that have experience keeping undulated triggerfish. I think there will be fewer with long-term titan experience. If you get one, make sure you have a huge tank.

Personally, I keep triggerfish, but have not tried either of those species.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

that is a gorgeous as well as large trigger...is that a tank photo or a wild photo?
Old 01/02/2008, 04:39 PM
Team RC Member

it's just a google image search pic I found. I'm pretty sure it is a wild photo. I was trying to find a picture that gave an idea of how massive and heavy these triggers get. the triggers I keep are much mellower and smaller - right now a Hawaiian pink tail and a niger trigger. I'm thinking of getting a nice Sargassum trigger that is at my fish store. Wimps, all of them.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Nigers... mine is so mean, he picks on everyone including my clown trigger, who is the most wimpy trigger I've ever had.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:27 PM
Team RC Member

one thing about triggers is they definitely have their own personalities! my niger hangs out with my blue spotted rabbitfish. they are always together, occasionally slapping at each other with tails, but usually acting like best buds...

I still tend to go with the averages where temperament is concerned when making trigger selections. I don't think I'd risk and undulated or even a clown without having a tank just for them. I'd love to have a titan, but I know I'll never have a tank big enough.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:00 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaD
I still tend to go with the averages where temperament is concerned when making trigger selections. I don't think I'd risk and undulated or even a clown without having a tank just for them. I'd love to have a titan, but I know I'll never have a tank big enough.
I completely agree.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I've heard of exceptions in temperament in nearly all triggers except Undulates and Titans. They are always mean, both seem very skiddish though at the stores and tend to hide alot.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:22 PM
Team RC Member

I've also heard from many long-term keepers that clown triggers can start out mellow, but as they get larger, tend to become very aggressive, need more space than most home aquariums can provide, and will kill most or all tankmates. Some describe it as if their trigger suddenly "snapped" after years of being a decent community tank citizen.