Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

compact fluorescent or MH?

i was wondering if a 175watt w/14k bulb, metal halide, would be better than my 130w orbit compact fluorescent on my standard 29g. i am planning on upgradeing my lighting with a metal halide and didn't know if this would be much of an upgrade.

right now i have a some neon candy canes, frogspawn, gsp, zoos, rics, and xenia under the orbit. my bulbs need to be replaced and instead of replaceing them i want to upgrade to a MH.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Do you want to upgrade because the corals you have currently are not doing well and you think this will help? I would think your current lighting would be fine for what you have. If you intent to get into the SPS then I would say upgrade, otherwise save your money. Just my opinion.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

IMO a big step up you mau need to be carefull aclimating your coral. I was running a 175w 10k ushio on my 22g from the start then went to a 250w XM 20k becouse I had it laying around I did not have any ill effects probly becouse of the temp diffrence.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

It all depends how your corals are doing, are they growing? How is the coloring.

I have a 4 bulb t5 unit on my 28g and love it. MH bulbs create alot more heat and use way more energy. I would think twice about just upgrading to upgrade.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

The metal halide lighting will be an improvment, I run 1 250 watt and 4 96 watt power compact light on a 125 gallon mixed reef. I put the more light hungry specimens under the halide.