Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 11:55 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Quote:
in my case i think that the uncovered can picked up contaminants from the air.
I always have a fear of that & keep all my buckets containing RODI water, covered. Since we have removed any antibacterial chemicals (like chlorine), there is nothing to kee[p contaminants at bay.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

^^ good point
Old 12/31/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Food grade drums...
Check with any local food companies that may get thier syrups or flavors in them...
I got my from the local distillery that makes flavored liquors.
I paid $10 each for 55 gal and I have seen them in 30 or 35 gal sizes.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I always have a fear of that & keep all my buckets containing RODI water, covered. Since we have removed any antibacterial chemicals (like chlorine), there is nothing to kee[p contaminants at bay.
good point. i have a hole punched in the top of my trashcan so that the top can go on the can and the cord can come out for the pump. of course, the system doesn't work if you forget to put the cover on for an extended period of time...

while i've got your attention -- do you heat any of your storage water? i leave the RODI water cold, and keep the SW heated. with the heated SW i've noticed diatom blooms, which has led me to water polishing.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 12/31/2007, 02:25 PM
Frag-a-holic

I put the lid on upside down. This allose for no particles to fall in, and iit also allows the water to breathe. I am also looking for a place that has the big blue HDPE 55 gallon drums. I used to get them from a cheese factory in California when I lived there for $5 each. Best thing about them is that they were used for them to get calcium chloride in. I would love to find somewhere around here that I can get the same deal.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/31/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

The problem I have with the HDPE containers is that I can't seem to find one as convient as the Brute. I like the lid and wheels on my brute. I haven't been able to find a HDPE with wheels.

With a HDPE container does it matter what it last contained? I ask because, this time of year I noticed that local gas stations have 55 Gal HDPE containers filled with washer fluid for their window cleaners. I was thinking about trying to get an empty one next time I saw it.

Shawn
Old 12/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

good idea. washer cleaner is very water soluble and would rinse out well, and shouldn't leave any residual contamination. i'm going to ask at my gas station.

i just realized that we have a gummy bear factory not too far from me. they've got to have plenty of those drums that contained sugar.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 12/31/2007, 04:28 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I heat my mixing SW to the temp of my tank but use only cold water for my ro/top off water. I bring it upstairs to warm up to room temp (my office is around 78 degrees all the time), before using for top off.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:52 PM
CMAS Member!

Washer fluid is VERY BAD!!! I have one empty in the garage if you want to try, but I don't recommend. Ethel glycol based and Cemtrec said...not way, the poison will leach out of the plastic...that's why they don't reuse them.
hope this helps. Just my exper. I have been wrong before so don't quote me on this.
Carl
Old 12/31/2007, 06:53 PM
CMAS Member!

PS...If you drink washer fluid....you will die. Or come pretty darn close.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kmiec123
PS...If you drink washer fluid....you will die. Or come pretty darn close.
Oh man, i have a new years glass full right now... good thing i read this post first. I just thought the Skull and Cross Bones were a joke...
Old 12/31/2007, 08:10 PM
CMAS Member!

Posion #6 Placard...What's that????
Old 01/01/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

well, i'm gonna call that plastics company and get a price quote on a 55 gallon drum.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Rubbermaid Brute containers are food grade and do not leach phosphates. No smell from mine either and I leave them covered for weeks and notice no smell.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

really? everyone else has been saying that they have had problems with it?
Old 01/01/2008, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

maybe the containers are not leaching, maybe everyones water had hight TDS readings? could that be a possibility?
Old 01/01/2008, 03:42 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I have no complaints about my Brute.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:51 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Me either, no problems at all

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/01/2008, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

cool. Maybe I'll look into the price difference then.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

maybe they aren't made consistantly? I 've been using them butin the heated SW one, the brown is very noticeable. Doesn't test for phosphates though. Maybe something else? I am suspect of the container. RO/DI TDS meter shows output at 0.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

You need to make sure it is a food safe rubbermaid brute. I know for sure the gray ones are and have no problems with those. I have 2 of the 32 gallon and 1 of the 44 gallon.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cp3823
really? everyone else has been saying that they have had problems with it?
Really who and where is that post? High TDS will cause you algae problems. That is why most people make their own water and use RODI to get 0 TDS.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdhanover
maybe they aren't made consistantly? I 've been using them butin the heated SW one, the brown is very noticeable. Doesn't test for phosphates though. Maybe something else? I am suspect of the container. RO/DI TDS meter shows output at 0.
Is yours food grade?
Old 01/01/2008, 06:25 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I think that a lot of people call most plastic trash cans "Brute". The grey ones made by Rubbermade that have the tradename "Brute" are food-safe. Thats good enough for me. There are no other colors of "Brute" that I know of. As far as I know the real ones are food-safe and dont cause problems for aquarium use. The 44 gallon ones are Brute and the 32 gallon ones are something different. i have used both and the Brute ones are aquarium safe for me.
I could be completely wrong....

Edit: I just checked. The 44 gallon grey Brute trashcan is stock but it does come in other sizes and colors as a special order. i was wrong heh. Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast

Last edited by Engine 7; 01/01/2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
I think that a lot of people call most plastic trash cans "Brute". The grey ones made by Rubbermade that have the tradename "Brute" are food-safe. Thats good enough for me. There are no other colors of "Brute" that I know of. As far as I know the real ones are food-safe and dont cause problems for aquarium use. The 44 gallon ones are Brute and the 32 gallon ones are something different. i have used both and the Brute ones are aquarium safe for me.
I could be completely wrong....

Edit: I just checked. The 44 gallon grey Brute trashcan is stock but it does come in other sizes and colors as a special order. i was wrong heh. Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines.
Actually the 32 gallon Brute cans are gray and food safe. They are sold at Sam's Club.