Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Mangroves Plants FS

Happy New Years everyone,
I have lots of Mangrove Plants for sale. These are the seed pods with a well established root system and leaves growing at the top. They average about 14" tall, from 9" to 17".
I have grown these in my sump under various types of lighting from one 60 watt incadescent bulbs to multiple PC's etc,.
I occasionally spray the leaves with fresh water and they can be cut (topped off) if they get too tall. These help remove nitrates from your water and any dead leaves should be picked from the water as they will release nitrates back into the water.
$5.00 per plant or 5 for $20.00
I ship using US Priority mail, roughly $5 for a package of 5 plants.
These can also be picked up, trades possible too~
Old 01/01/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to add a couple of pic links,

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...n/DSC03664.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...n/DSC03665.jpg
Old 01/01/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

would you be able to bring them to the next meeting? Or hold them til the weather lets up?
Old 01/01/2008, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

I'd like 5, do you think you could make it to the next c-sea meeting? What do you run your salt level at?
Erik
Old 01/01/2008, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

We will take 2 if you are coming to the meeting
Old 01/01/2008, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Scott and I would like 5 if you aren't coming to the meeting pm me and we'll paypal you and have them shipped....THANKS!!

Last edited by ReefWidowed; 01/01/2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I'll take 5 . Are you going to the next C-sea meeting?
Thanks,
phil
Old 01/01/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

My salt level is usually 1.021-1.022 but these plants grow in salt, brackish and fresh water. These happen to come from saltwater though.
As far as going to the next meeting...that might be possible but I need to know the date/time. I work some weekends though. These ship very well also, for this area no more than 2 days.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

The trick with mangroves though is to have them in the same salinity. so going for 1.021 to 1.025 they would die.
So there not gonna work for me
Sorry
Erik
Old 01/02/2008, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

"The trick with mangroves though is to have them in the same salinity. so going for 1.021 to 1.025 they would die.
So there not gonna work for me
Sorry
Erik"

Thats ridiculous.
What do you think the salinity was in Florida? or were my last batch came from in Hawaii? Certainly not the exact same conditions as in my sump were I've been growing some for over four years now. What about the plants in the tidal river areas were fresh water and salt water change with the tide? Maybe its the old and outdated Berlin skimmer of mine keeping them alive?
If you dont wish to buy any from me you really dont have to or have to post your opinion about why with misinformation. If some one is selling a 10K metal halide light would you have to mention thats not the spectrum you prefer and thats its too white for something to grow by?

LiveAquaria suggest 1.020 to 1.025, the following is from LiveAqauria's website. These are the exact same red mangrove plants as I am selling. I am prone to believe what they say. (sorry nothing personal)

"The Red Mangrove Tree of the genus Rhizophora grows in the upper end of the intertidal waters of the tropical oceans of the world. The mangrove trees reproduce by either forming seeds about the size of a hazelnut, or by producing a propagule which is dropped from the tree allowing it to root. The form that we are offering is the propagule, which has proven to be much hardier for the aquarium than the seed. The propagule is approximately 6 to 8 inches in length and looks similar to a candle.
The mangroves offered on LiveAquaria.com are propagated and grown in a greenhouse environment, and are fully germinated with a solid root structure and leaves. Some of the other less expensive mangroves offered in the trade are simply tubers with no roots or leaves, and are difficult to germinate and grow.

The Red Mangrove can be planted in the sand, or in between rocks in an open topped aquarium, illuminated sump or refugium. The roots will quickly take hold in either a sand substrate or in live rock. Provide illumination for these plants through the light from the side of a metal halide, or directly under fluorescents with a light spectrum in the range of 6000°-8000°K.

Mangroves absorb nutrients from the water in order to grow, and help lower nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium. They export the unneeded nutrients and excess salt through their leaves. It is important for nutrient control in the aquarium, that when leaves are dropped from the plant that they are not allowed to decay in the aquarium.

This species of mangrove will grow in fresh, brackish and saltwater. They are even suitable for ponds in the Southern States where they will not be exposed to near freezing temperatures. Be sure when planting that the leaves are out of the water. They can also be simply planted in a pot and used as a house plant. Just be sure to keep its soil moist and to provide it with plenty of fertilizer.

The general care for these plants includes; wiping excess salt from the leaves with fresh water a few times per week, and trimming the growth tip of the plant to control growth. These plants will benefit from the regular addition of an iron supplement, and trace elements
Old 01/02/2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Its the absolute truth!!!

Thats why most mangroves die at home or never flower. If there not from similiar salinities they don't grow. I'll look for more info other then from a place trying to sell them to you. So stay tuned
Erik
Old 01/02/2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I did want to buy from you, I was just looking for them in my salinity range....Hence I said Sorry after my post as I no longer wanted them? Panties in a bunch huh?

Wow someone has skimmer envy...lol If Im wrong on this I will admit I'm wrong. Its just a rule I've always gone by with mangroves.
I called a fellow reefer and he will post tonight when he gets off work He has papers to back up what I've stated.
Erik
Old 01/02/2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

From Wetwebmedia.com

Quote:
Propagules can be sprouted in fresh, brackish or saltwater and will do so even fully submerged (although this is not recommended for aesthetics and the cultivation of prop roots if nothing else). One thing is certain, though- you cannot move a mangrove between saline gradients quickly if at all! Aquarists are strongly advised to only seek un-sprouted seedlings. If there are any roots or leaves in evidence on arrival, you simply must be told what salinity the propagules were sprouted in. Failure to abide by this is likely to be fatal for the seedling, evidenced by a shriveled desiccation and demise within weeks (the propagule takes on a wrinkled appearance from the "osmotic shock").
In the faqs section it talks about acclimating already sprouted seedlings to another salinity. They recommend doing it slowly over the course of weeks.

(Mangrove Faqs)
Old 01/02/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info and I stand corrected, who am I to argue with Anthony Calfo. I do wonder just what changes in salinity gradients is he talking about, does he mean as small as .002 or does he mean from fresh to brackish or brackish to salt?
Old 01/02/2008, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

its small changes, And it happens after the seed is "popped"
So if you got the seeds before they open, you'll have a better chance of them making it.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

This is true when the mangrove pops it is set to its current water,
salinity is a big factor