Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Thats what I did, minus the center return. My return is over the back. But had I know better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The holes are well worth the money. It will seem loud at first, but I will quieten up.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:24 PM
Spine Straightener

You can make external dursos easily. come out of the bulkhear fitting into a T. Place a short section of PVC running upward and your line to the sump heading down. Put a cap on the pipe and drill it for a plastic airline shut off valve. Insert the valve (opened up) and stick about a foot of airline tubing on the other end of the fitting. Adjust the valve until it silences the overflow. It works great. I have three of them on the overflows on my 210 which is as quiet as can be now.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

You gots any pics??? This is how mine are, except the addition of a piece of pipe on the other end going up. They are quite, but there always something that need tampering with........................

Old 12/31/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Yes, diagram please!
Old 12/31/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

My tank, they drain into a 10 gal sump.

inside of tank....

rear of the tank
Old 12/31/2007, 11:44 PM
Spine Straightener

Don't have any pics. I'll see if I can take some tomorrow. Here is a drawing that may help.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=69372

I just added about 4" of PVC going up, an air valve and piece of hose to tune the overflow.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:55 PM
Spine Straightener

Sorry folks. Apparently RC won't let me link you to a diagram off their site. I'll shoot a picture in the morning. If you look at Phildirts overflows above, substitute a T fitting for the 90 degree elbow. Now add a 4" piece of PVC going upward. Cap it and drill a hole just large enough to push a plastic air valve shut off. Insert a 6" or so length of airline and tune the overflow by opening or closing the air valve.

Pictures coming tomorrow.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Can't you just use a ball valve there Doc?

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 01/01/2008, 04:26 PM
Spine Straightener

Honestly, I don't know how you'd use a ball valve on an overflow, maybe on top of the T. I just googled external durso and searched a bit. I came up with this:

When I read about the hole size possibly causing the water level to rise in the overflow I decided to add a 4" piece of PVC upward from the T fitting. Then I capped it, drilled it, added an air valve and a bit of airline and it turned out like this:

It definitely quieted the beast. If you can imagine the noisiest overflow you've ever heard. Now try to imagine it times 3. That's what I had. The dursos have totally silenced all three of my 1" overflows.

Hope this helps. I know it helped me!
Old 01/02/2008, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Oh I see what your saying...I must've misread, didn't know you were just trying to quiet the overflow down.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me