Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Please Let Me Know What You Think?

I am "thinking" about getting back into the hobby! I broke my tank down a few months ago in an attempt to free up space within my house for new children which we are going to try and have. The damn computer desk resides where the tank was!
I really loved the hobby but got quite frustrated considering how much of a pig my MH lighting was on energy. ( Oh yeah I work for a company that saves school districts money on energy) I hated seeing my electric meter spin!
Therefore Im thinking about setting up a new tank in the basement of my house where my 100g sump is. I have had multiple tanks the last one was a RR 90g, now Im thinking 180g as space and/or supports aren't really a problem. The "new tank" would be on a concrete slab and not over studs as it was before.

I think I can save on energy multiple ways:

1. Going to a newer style of lighting ( ie. T5 vs MH )

2. Smaller return pump as the display tank would have virtually 0' of head pressure

Now the negatives:

1. My basement is first and foremost a basement, I recently put our old furniture down there, as the new just arrived, but besides having white painted walls the basement is ugly, and very much unfinished.
2. My heaters would probably run constant considering the tank is in a 55 Deg F. space. thus possibly eliminating all savings from the lights? I could probably calculate this out but have not done so as of yet.
3. The tank may get neglected as "out of sight out of mind"

I guess Im trying to feel out if anyone else has a tank behind the scenes in their home where others really dont see it and neither do you.

Do you neglect it?
All dialogue is welcomed, by anyone reading!
Old 12/31/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

I can understand you wanting to get back in.I personally would not.I have always figured if I can not have a tank where I can enjoy it why have it.I do not spend much time in our basement and I know I would not make enough time to go down there and enjoy it.What if you even went with a small nano or something like that.That was just my 2 cents good luck on whatever you decide to do....Scott
Old 12/31/2007, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

I considered a smaller tank but I loved having all the components in the sump elsewhere, with a quiet display. I am thinking fish only style with some simple softies for some variety, the stonies just dont grow quick enough for me. I like larger fish ( tangs ) and will not house them unless I have ample room for them to enjoy. I dont think a nano is enjoyable enough, but then again.................. Do they make RR nano's????????
Old 12/31/2007, 03:05 PM
Upstate Reef Society

Cool alas why hide it

if your going to spend all that money.. putting it out of site in an unfinished area would just be a waste... and no matter where you hide it.. the electric man will still smile upon you for supporting his kids college tution.. it is what it is.. my opinion is settle on a size and deal with it.. but know your limits before you do... most nano's ive seen have everything built into the backs of them.. i just downgraded from a 180 and am going back to a 120 (the best size of tank imho) just cause the costs of running the 180 were a killer... so i know where u come from... but i will never hide my "little slice of ocean"
Old 12/31/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

I agree with what others have posted, why bother if you will not see it and share it on a daily basis. IMO Go smaller and keep it on the main floor.

My son said I should have been a potatoe bug farmer.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Build a couple of walls, and insulate it. Make your own fish room. Run a supply air vent for heat/cooling. You can even turn it into a computer room and boild a fish closet for your sump/equipment. You could even build the tank in wall. You can build a bar room instead of a computer room. Pool table, or exercise room.......
Old 12/31/2007, 04:59 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisguy
I agree with what others have posted, why bother if you will not see it and share it on a daily basis. IMO Go smaller and keep it on the main floor.
I agree.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

If you have had halide lighting,Ithink you'll be disappointed with T5.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

I had two tanks running awhile back, a 180 in the livingroom and a 120 down in the basement, my basment is alot like yours and needless to say the 120 was quite neglected... if I were in your shoes a nano would be my first pick, they do come RR and are very quiet. you may not be able to get the tangs you like but there are endless possibilities as other livestock goes... best of luck in whatever choice you make!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Well after talking to the wife last night for about three hours (mainly I talk and she just stares back, and then finally tells me to shut up
) I think a nano may be the way to go. Not quite sure if I plumb it into my 100g sump or not. I know it would certainly give me more stability in terms of water parameters, but not quite sure if I can reduce the flow enough without having a sand storm within the tank? Anyone know of a nice local spot for a nano, i like to look before I buy, and ordering online really does not help me accomplish this. I called Petmart and they had a couple. They are almost two hours away from my house though!
Any recommendations on a manufacturer or specific size 12, 24g, 29, ?
Old 01/01/2008, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

pick out a spot you like then buy what will fit there, I know caribbean forest has a nice one setup to give you an idea
Old 01/01/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

go with an aquapod 24gallon or something ^^
Old 01/01/2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

In response to the electricity issue. I "voiced my choice" this year with an Electricity Supply company which provides 100% green energy to the grid, equivalent to every Kilowatt my household uses up. Specifically, 25% of the power comes from wind, and the remainder comes from methane derived from the local landfills. It doesn't solve the power usage issue, but, helps increase a market for renewable/reusable energies.
And good luck with the new tank - place it in a visible location where everyone can enjoy its beauty.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Controlguy-

I agree with people; aim toward a tank you can put in a visible room, if you can, keep the giant sump in the basement, it'll add stability, and a place to put your equipment in a starved for real-estate small tank.

Don't be nervous, though, to go T5's. I've been using them for 3+ years with great results, previously running a pair of 250W/IceCap/DE's. I wouldn't go back, especially now that we have some great actinic options out there. Most disappointments are due to buying junk fixtures, and wondering why they don't work correctly... Same as MH.

Problem is, though, the fixtures are pricey, and you may not make up the savings in electricity directly from the lights. I don't use too much less electricity, but use less energy because of my chiller disappearing. The question, from a cost standpoint, is do you want to fork out the $$ for a good fixture, if you already have something that may work? And do you need supplemental cooling to keep the tank at the right temps?

Go for a smaller tank, keep it in a viewable area, and enjoy it!

-Andy
Old 01/02/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I had a 65 gal that I had to downsize to a nano. I got a 24gal Aquapod. Everything is hidden, I build a stand with a couple of storage compartments. One for fish and other main part is for my daughters arts and crafts. The stand is 32" high 24" wide 22" deep. Yes I had to get rid of some of my bigger fish, but now I can get some of those smaller ones and be able to see them now. I mainly have a softie/LPS tank and they love the PC lights that came with it. My Blue Clove was not growing in my 65 with the PC/MH but now that I have them in my nano they have doubled in size. My wife loves it, the kids love it and it is a nice convo piece when people come to visit. I have it up against the wall between dinning room and family room. I really don't think I will go large again, if anything I will go another nano.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Oh also check out these sites for mods and things for nano's
http://nanocustoms.com/
http://www.nanotuners.com/
Old 01/02/2008, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

I agree with everyone. If you can't view it, it is a waste of time.
That is not even getting into the "out of site, out of mind" issue.
Why spend all that money to hide it, neglect it and have it crash or something like that.

Late and just my 2 cents