Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

What would you change to this sump?

Here is the image i just made on paint the heater is in the same thing as the pump
im moving up to a 65 and im going to use the same sump
and im not sure what to change to make it better
So any changes you guys would make to it,
I Have actual photos of the sump there pretty big so i wasnt going to post em but ask if you want.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

you don't need the micro pad in the centre and it can become a source to collect nitrates and reintroduce to the tank.
The skimmer is all the mechanical filtration you need but if you are not convinced then consider a micron sock over the intake from the tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

That it?
Anything you would add?
Old 12/30/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

i agree ditch the mirco pad
Old 12/30/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I agree to ditch the mirco pad. I would also add a few bubble traps after the skimmer to help knock down the microbubbles.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Just the 50 micron pad?
Or that and the two sponges?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:10 AM
I <3 Fish.

Both. Your sump will collect enough detritus on the bottom...you don't need the sponges and pad collecting adding to it.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

I second the motion on the bubble traps. The other thing to consider is to make sure that your skimmer pump is not faster than your return pump or you'll be sucking air fast.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InvaderJim
Both. Your sump will collect enough detritus on the bottom...you don't need the sponges and pad collecting adding to it.
Okay So im going to remove that filter media and add in another bubble trap there...
Old 12/31/2007, 02:56 AM
Moved On

What size tank is the sump? I would not do mangroves if it is going to be under a stand, they need high lighting also. I would stick with chaeto and caulurpa profilia. You will not tell a diffrence in water quality from the mangroves unless you have 5+. Every thing else looks good except the filter pads which have already been mentioned.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
What size tank is the sump? I would not do mangroves if it is going to be under a stand, they need high lighting also. I would stick with chaeto and caulurpa profilia. You will not tell a diffrence in water quality from the mangroves unless you have 5+. Every thing else looks good except the filter pads which have already been mentioned.
The sump is custom built by me and is around 28 gallons full and has about 20 when it is running normally
And lighting for the mangroves what do you recomend? right now i have a grow light on my sump and a 40W 20 000k bulb
Another question is i was given a ball of chaeto and it hasnt grown in size at all it has gotten smaller any reason for this?
Old 12/31/2007, 11:33 AM
Nothing to put here

Replace the filter media/micron pad after the fuge with a small series of baffles to catch any bubbles from the skimmer. If you want the micron filtration, run a filter sock where the drain enters the sump.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

i would make the sand bed in the fuge thinner, like an inch, get some caulerpa, or chaeto skip the mangroves, they suck up magnesium. remove the foam as stated. you have brown in the bottom of the skimmer section, if that is a mistake thats fine, i would leave that empty.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by datablitz
i would make the sand bed in the fuge thinner, like an inch, get some caulerpa, or chaeto skip the mangroves, they suck up magnesium. remove the foam as stated. you have brown in the bottom of the skimmer section, if that is a mistake thats fine, i would leave that empty.
stay away from caulerpa---it can go sexual if the light is not controlled properly. Stick with the cheato--it is more reliable in a fuge--if you want more of it quickly then just crank the light 24/7
Old 12/31/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twz
The sump is custom built by me and is around 28 gallons full and has about 20 when it is running normally
And lighting for the mangroves what do you recomend? right now i have a grow light on my sump and a 40W 20 000k bulb
Another question is i was given a ball of chaeto and it hasnt grown in size at all it has gotten smaller any reason for this?
from my experience the cheaeto will not grow under a high k rating. I would use 10k or less. I put mine under a 90 watt (which was probaly too much) daylight pc floodlight bulb from lowes. It went from shrinking in size every week. to needing cut back every week.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

I'd put the return section in the center and the refugium on the opposite end. That would provide better flow control and a larger refugium.

Also bubble traps between the compartments.

If it's under your tank I would also ditch the mangroves. AFAIK they don't provide as much nutrient export as chaeto or other macro algae.