Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Angry Bad test kit or bad water????!

Well, for Christmas I got a Salifert Calcium and Alk. Test kit. I tested both Christmas day on my 55gal. Cal. was 350ppm (I know, low. . .) and Alk. was 8dKH (dead on). I dose calcium chloride, and baking soda. I tested them both yesterday only to find my Cal. at 150ppm and Alk at 4dKH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way this is correct. I tested it 3 times yesterday with the same result every time, I tested it today with the same result. I tested my 33gal cube today to find out that the Cal. is at 100ppm. There is no way this is correct either. Should I just try a different test kit??? Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand? Lamotte?? Seachem?? I am furious!!! No local fish stores test water. So if I do anything, I am going to have to fork out another 50 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not happy!
Old 12/29/2007, 11:32 PM
RC Mod

I'd mix up some fresh saltwater and test that.

What's been dosed into the 33g cube, if anything?
Old 12/30/2007, 03:34 AM
Team RC Member

Brandan, I think you are reading the results of the syringes backwards.

For calcium, a full syringe is 500 ppm. 350 and 150 is what ? 500 right ?

Same applies to alk.

Please re-read the instructions carefully and if you need more help, give us a shout.

Nice Christmas present.

That means, if I am correct that the calcium level in your 33 gal is 400 ppm which is a fine place to be.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Ahhhhhhhh, So the section on the instructions that says "Reading in ml's" is what is left after the water turns blue, not how much you used. Gotcha, lol. I feel rather out of place now. . . lol Thanks Billybeau.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I'd mix up some fresh saltwater and test that.

What's been dosed into the 33g cube, if anything?
I don't dose anything in the 33g. But it only has a small Birdnest, and a small Acro in it. The 55 has quite a few good size SPS frags and 2 4" ORA Derasa clams.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:24 PM
Team RC Member

Glad your test kits are ok.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

I still think the Alk. test kit is part of the bad batch Salifert put out. I had a reading of about 11.5 this afternoon, I tested with my Instant Ocean kit, and I got 8.5. I need to have this kit replaced, but I have no idea how.