Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Looking to start a small saltwater tank, but I dont know where to begin

So back in the day (actually not that long ago), my dad and I used to snorkel around and catch small fish and put them in a tank we filled with sea water and rocks we found. Some fish would last forever, others would only last a few months but overall, it was an awesome hobby. Im not sure what kind of system we had, but it worked ok. It sure as heck isnt like what you guys are doing, but it did the trick. Now, im off to college and I want to try starting a small tank. I have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now...and to tell you the truth....I AM COMPLETELY LOST! I want to start small, maybe 30 gallons but I dont know if thats best or not. I need someone to point me in the right direction so I can do some reading for a few hours to see what I need to buy, what I will need to do for up keep, etc etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 12/20/2007, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

I would start here...

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...showpage&pid=1

Have you read that? After that...

http://www.reefcentral.com/FAQ/general/index.php

These are located on the main RC page on the left, down a little. If you've read these already, I apologize. Give us an idea what you have in mind and we can go from there.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]

First of all what type of tank do you want. FO,FOWLR or Reef?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a FOWLR would be good for me. I just might have to talk my dad into giving me that tank. I have an old tank that was a freshwater tank probably around 30 gallons. I wanted to convert that but it looks like that would be pricey and it might be cheaper just to buy something off craigslist or something.

Does anyone have any links to peoples build-up threads putting together their first tanks? Just so I can see what they did with pictures? Or, does anyone know of anyone who put together a tank from fish caught in the ocean?
Old 12/21/2007, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

[link removed]
...just about all the information you can handle.

Last edited by bertoni; 12/21/2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Look here. http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm
Old 12/21/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

So after some browsing on this site I decided to NOT build a fish tank quite yet. Im going to spend some time checking in every once and a while, until I get a better grasp of things. It seems much more complicated then I thought!
Old 12/21/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by on_ice
So after some browsing on this site I decided to NOT build a fish tank quite yet. Im going to spend some time checking in every once and a while, until I get a better grasp of things. It seems much more complicated then I thought!

It's costly and you have to be committed. But it's a great hobby ad very satisfying!

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph
Old 12/21/2007, 09:47 PM
Master of Funk

if you have itunes...free download, you can subscribe to the Talking Reef podcast. Start at the beginning and listen away...lots of good info. And you dont have to read anything, which rocks!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:28 AM
Team RC Member

A good start might be to get a turn-key Aquapod, about 24 g. Visit our sponsors' links and check them out. Everything you reasonably need is included in the kit...for a student who may be a bit mobile and restricted in room. YOu can try some fish AND some hardy corals, and get your feet wet so to speak...When you get out and settle in your own place, of course, the 1500 gallon in-wall build, but an Aquapod is a good deal for a student.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Ive been looking at those things/nano tanks, seems pretty cool! What all would be needed to convert a small 25 gal freshwater tank to a saltwater tank? Something I could put a few small fish and live rock in and not have to change the water every week?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:43 PM
Obsessed

check into some form of nano cube to get started. great size for college people
Old 12/22/2007, 11:55 PM
RC Mod

The 25g would be fine for a pair of ocellaris or percula clownfish. With no corals, some very inexpensive lighting would be fine.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Start with a second job.

Unless you have a decent amount of money set aside I would start with a second job. I have only been at this about a month and now realize that they charge a fee every time you step in a fish store. (ok, maybe it just feels that way).
It is amazing to have a tank at home, I love watching the changes (I am not even sick of the algee on the glass yet) but I am always deciding I need a new book, test set, snail, crab, ...

Good luck.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

So I found out my friend won a 24g nano-cube in a raffle that he would sell me for ~$140 . I could get the 24 gal tank, an ugly stand, 40 #'s of live sand, some big chunks of rock (not live rock) and like $30 of gift cards to a LFS. What do you guys think?
Old 12/29/2007, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Go for it.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:58 PM
RC Mod

Sounds fine to me.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Use that $30 to upgrade to some LF. Other than that it sounds like a great start. Keep us up to date with some pictures and such.