Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

New tank flow

Well, most everything is set up on my new 210g. build. It's full of fresh water for plumbing/flow tests. I thought I would try and post a video of my current flow and see what you guys think.
I'm not real good at the picture thing so sorry about it being sideways. I couldn't figure out how to rotate a video.

The little white squares floating around are pieces of paper. I wanted to get an idea of how well my water collum was moving. My goal was kind of a clockwise barrel roll if looking from the right end of my tank. This should keep solids suspended and headed for the 2 overflows in the back of the tank.

So far what you see (hopfully if I posted the video right) is with no powerheads in the tank. Only the sump returns and a closed loop.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

IMHO there isnt a whole lot to be learned by looking at an empty tank. It will all change depending on whats in the tank and where. What kind of coral and where they are located will tell you more than any test ran on it empty. Placement of other flow devices will be most effective after its full of rock and or coral as well. Good for a leak test tho.

Last edited by RyanM; 12/28/2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

I agree. I'm sure it will be alot different full. Basically I was checking plumming, pumps, and shutdown back siphon to make sure everything worked like I had planned. I also wanted to see how well the OM 4-way worked. I just thought is was kind of cool to see complete flow with no dead spots or particle settling anywhere in the tank. That was my goal. And though adding rock, and corals will change things, at least this gives me an idea of how the water collum is moving and what effect adjustments to the flow diverters has.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Reefer

Nice!

When are you stocking it?

The answer is always no if you never ask the question.....
Old 12/29/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully soon, my fish are getting tired of their rubbermaid tub.
I drained out the tap water last night and now have it about 1/2 full of rodi water. It's going to take a while to make the rest, drip...drip...drip... I should have bought a bigger rodi before I started this tank
I was thinking about posting a build thread for this project if anyone was interested. I just haven't had the time. I've been trying to take pictures right along.
I'm looking forward to the meet in Jan. I hope to have everything cylced by then. We'll see how it goes.