Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Thickness for a DIY 150g?

How thick should the acrylic be for a 150g (60"x24"x24") acrylic tank?

Also, for a newb with limited handyman skills, how hard would it be to make a DIY skimmer?
Old 12/28/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

for the accryic id say 3/4 inch all around you might be albe to use 1/2 but from everything ive read on here all big systems use at least 3/4. Im far from being an expert on accrylic and this all goes on by what ive read on here.
Good luck
tracy
Old 12/28/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

3/4" will be bulletproof,i have that exact tank and it has no visible bow.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Ditto the above. 1/2" will work just fine but 3/4" would be better.
FWIW, if you do 1/2", 4" perimeter flange with 8" crossbrace works well so 2 top openings measuring ~22 x 16". If you use 3/4", a 3" perimeter flange and one 6" crossbrace so 2 top openings measuring 24 x 18".
1/2" will bow a *little* (not much at all), and 3/4" will probably give no discernable bowing at all, as noted above.
** opening sizing above does not take overflow(s) into account.

As for skimmers, most folks can make a DIY skimmer without much problem. For a first timer, keep it simple, don't set yourself up for frustration. Acrylic is not *that* difficult but does take practice so don't overcomplicated it Kinda the same with the tank, I'd suggest you build yourself a small sump first to try to get the hang of it and see if it's something you're comfortable with. If you simly don't like building the sump, better to know that sooner than later.

HTH,
James
Old 12/29/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone.

I'll go with 3/4" acrylic since I don't really trust myself with anything else.

Acrylics: Do you have any visual representation of the different types of bracing? I only know what Euro-Bracing is LOL. I originally thought a single strip bar from the front viewing pane to the back pane would be OK, like they use on glass tanks. Is this OK or not on acrylic tanks?

Thanks!
Old 12/29/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

brace the tank all the way around the perimeter 4" wide and have at least one cross brace going from front to back 4" wide and you should be fine.

here is what james means about the braces,see how it has bracing around the edge plus across the middle.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic aquarium with top bracing!!!