Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Tell me about spagetti worms

I didnt have them in my last tank, now I have them everywhere

Also does a diamond goby hide in the sand sometimes I cant find him anywhere tonight

Thx
Craig
Old 12/27/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Are you referring to the small pink bristle worm types? Did you just move your tank? If so you probably didn't notice them as much in your old tank as they may have been better settled in the rock and substrate, in moving tanks in the past I've noticed they tend to move around alot more after a move. There pretty much harmless as long as your not grabbing them bare handed. There basically the earthworm of the sea, they help to loosen and airate the sand.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

No they are the size of string & pure white. The come out like crazy when I feed from the rock & sand.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

I know they taste GREAT with a spicy marinara sauce! ;-)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I have a bunch myself and they are supposed to be harmless detrivores according to the worm id site. I have one that has some pretty wildly long "tenticles" that is near the base of a piece of rock and it will pick up food debris off the rock near it and drag it back to it's "mound".

Everything I have read on them show them to be a benefit. Also, if they have suddenly surged in numbers, it is usually an indication that you are feeding too much... Kind of like bristle worms, they are an indicator of such. Have you changed your feeding regimen? Perhaps added fish and are now getting a bit more poo? I am no expert but I haven't seen anywhere that says they are a danger even in large numbers.

Hope this helps...

Ryan
Old 12/28/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I think I have the same thing except the "mound" is located in an abandoned astrea shell. The "feeler" tentacles are white with red stripes and are about as thick as a hair.

Never seem to have a problem with them but they do creep me out every now and then.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:30 AM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

My orange diamond sleeper goby will bury himself in the sand when he's scared, so yes they can do that. Do check to make sure he hasn't jumped out of the tank though. They're notorious jumpers.

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 12/28/2007, 12:36 PM
hamster

Harmless.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

The sleeper gobies that I have had have always made dens of sorts by burrowing under rocks (usually leaving a separate entrance and exit) and then mounding rubble by the "doorways", using anything they could carry (including frags), so if you have unexplained piles of rubble anywhere in your tank, it might be your goby's den. I've never had a sleeper jump, but certainly it's a possibility. Good luck -- sleeper gobies are awesome fish.