Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Mandarin Gobys

I made a mistake and bought 4 Green Psychedelic Mandarin Gobys for my 75 gal tank. I need to find good homes for 3 of them. Anyone who has an adaquit tank and lives in driving distance can have one for free. I live in Irvine CA.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Just remember that any fish store that allowed you to leave the store with four Mandarins isn't a fish store you should be shopping at. But, good luck...I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to take you up on an offer like that.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:28 PM
Team RC Member

Agree on the fish store comment. I've been to several stores that refuse to even sale a mandarin to anyone with a tank less than 6 months old. let alone, 4 of them for a 75g. Could house 1 in that tank, maybe two if ya got a nice, well stocked fuge and they were a male/female pair.

Great job on realizing the problem and taking appropriate measures to correct the situation though. Keep it up!

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/27/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I've got 4 males. They are quite nice looking but also hungry. I've tried feeding them but they only want live food.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:49 PM
Team RC Member

Oh, ow. I'd contact the fish store and see if you can trade them in on something.

As a stopgap, feed phyto to your fuge and see if you can up pod production. If you had a 50g fuge you might be able to keep them, but there's one other problem: they will ultimately fight. Mandys are the most peaceful fish in the world---except with other mandys.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:51 PM
Moved On

4 males is ALOT. I hope you have a huge pod population.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:57 PM
Team RC Member

Post this in the So. Cal. reef club thread, too. [I'm thinking Irvine is SOcal...] But there are reef clubs all over CA. Check the district in the club forums area.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I had a huge pod population, but once I introduced the Mandys the population dropped allot.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:30 PM
Team RC Member

Mike, try some frozen mysis and turn the pump off so it will settle to the bottom: give it an hour that way. If you can get ONE of those mandys to eat it, there's a chance he'll teach the others. Try it more than once, while you try to find them homes---because they WILL fight, I fear, if left together.