Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Janitors eating

My 120 is now 2 months old, has cycled and all parameters are good. Had large algae outbreak, but that is receded to the point I am asking a dumb question. My janitors, snails, conchs, crabs feasted for quite some time, but now the amount of algae appears almost 0. I realize, I think, that I can't see all that is really there, but does one have to worry about feeding these guys? If so, what?
Old 12/27/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

I wondered the same thing when I first setup my tank, I did nothing special for them and they did fine, once you get livestock in there they will "clean" the leftover food and detrius for you.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:21 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeljames
once you get livestock in there they will "clean" the leftover food and detrius for you.
This is dependant on the species of cleaners used. Many will clean the leftovers, but be sure to research the individual specimens you choose so you know for certain. Snails that feed solely on algae and often only certain species of algae will starve quickly without sufficient foods, those that feed on meatier foods and leftovers will often get sufficient food left over from feeding times. Specimens like the Conches (larger species) will most likely require supplemental feeding, especially when they get larger, a full grown queen conch ( 16+" ) will die in most tanks without being fed, Even smaller species like the fighting conch will probably need something once they reach adult sizes around 4-5".

crabs (hermits) are opportunistic and will feed on whatever they feel like, and usually will find sufficient foods, even if that means eating something they shoudln't be. Just watch the CUC behavoir when your staring at the tank. If you notice alot of astrea's dying off or something, may try sticking a bit of seaweed in their for em, if you have loads of nassarius snails that are dying off, may try putting some extra food in for them, stuff like that. All tanks differ in their little private ecosystems so going off general rules of thumb for stocking is iffy at best, best way to know is just observe the tank.

fwiw, i've never really had a big need to target feed any of the cuc's in any of my tanks, but I always start small with numbers and work them up if needed. occasionally I'll purposely overfeed for the sake of those meaty food eaters and the few crabs I keep.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
This is dependant on the species of cleaners used. Many will clean the leftovers, but be sure to research the individual specimens you choose so you know for certain. Snails that feed solely on algae and often only certain species of algae will starve quickly without sufficient foods, those that feed on meatier foods and leftovers will often get sufficient food left over from feeding times. Specimens like the Conches (larger species) will most likely require supplemental feeding, especially when they get larger, a full grown queen conch ( 16+" ) will die in most tanks without being fed, Even smaller species like the fighting conch will probably need something once they reach adult sizes around 4-5".

crabs (hermits) are opportunistic and will feed on whatever they feel like, and usually will find sufficient foods, even if that means eating something they shoudln't be. Just watch the CUC behavoir when your staring at the tank. If you notice alot of astrea's dying off or something, may try sticking a bit of seaweed in their for em, if you have loads of nassarius snails that are dying off, may try putting some extra food in for them, stuff like that. All tanks differ in their little private ecosystems so going off general rules of thumb for stocking is iffy at best, best way to know is just observe the tank.

fwiw, i've never really had a big need to target feed any of the cuc's in any of my tanks, but I always start small with numbers and work them up if needed. occasionally I'll purposely overfeed for the sake of those meaty food eaters and the few crabs I keep.
as for the snails---I never clean the back and siides of the tank--esp with the green algae that forms. After all besides providing food for the snails they also are diminishing excess phosphates and nitrates.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Re: Janitors eating

Quote:
Originally posted by hdodd
My 120 is now 2 months old, has cycled and all parameters are good. Had large algae outbreak, but that is receded to the point I am asking a dumb question. My janitors, snails, conchs, crabs feasted for quite some time, but now the amount of algae appears almost 0. I realize, I think, that I can't see all that is really there, but does one have to worry about feeding these guys? If so, what?
how many of each do you have?
Old 12/27/2007, 11:28 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
as for the snails---I never clean the back and siides of the tank--esp with the green algae that forms. After all besides providing food for the snails they also are diminishing excess phosphates and nitrates.
Same here. Works great until your ball of cheato starts dying off and the algae back their takes off like crazy, lol.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/27/2007, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the information, helpful as always. I started with 15 crab, 10 snails and 5 conchs, and beleive it or not I think I have all of them working. I do not clean the back of tank, and there is a small amount of growth there. I have a fox face, 2 zoa's and a galaxia in the tank at the present time. Everything seems very normal.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

crabs eat anything--including snails--they are oportunistic meat eaters--they are to be watched or they will start to diminish your snail populations---actually they go after the snails more for their shells then anything else.
There will always be food for the snails esp if you leave the back surface of the glass unscraped.