Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

How to hide skimmer?

I'm pretty sure i'm going to have to go with a HOB skimmer for my new 75 gallon tank, because the area in the stand is short. it measures 40 wide 16 deep and 15 tall. is there anyway to get a skimmer either under there or behind the tank. it's going to be sitting in a corner so there will be some room behind it, but i don't want everything to be impossible to get to either. would i be crazy to put a 10 or 20 gallon long tank in the stand as a sump and hand a HOB skimmer ot the back of the stand?
Old 12/27/2007, 07:22 AM
Killer of Giants

you could do that easily. Make a small sump out of a 20 long. Or, use a hang on back skimmer, but paint the back glass of the tank. That way you won't see the skimmer or any wires hanging down.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

yeah, we're either going to paint the back glass or just get one of the plain one color back drops and use that on the back. i was more worried about the skimmer sticking out the top of the tank. especially since that's where the waste collects.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

they do make a a "shorty" skimmer for people with limited space under there stands, If I remember right turbofloater makes one...
Old 12/27/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

the turboflotor one is still 22 inches, but i did see on their site the 1000 multi might be good to hang in the sump and stick out the bback of the stand. the only problem would be emptying the cup would be difficult.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Not crazy at all! You should be able to make that work, it might just take a little creative effort.

Is your 75g a reef ready tank with an overflow? If so, you might be able to hide the skimmer by hanging it behind the overflow - that's how I've got my Remora and it works well. The top is hidden behind the light fixture, the pump which operates the skimmer is inside the overflow, and the skimmer's output flows into the overflow which eliminates any potential bubbles because the water has to go all the way down and through the sump before it enters the tank.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Well, there may be an alternative: but, you'd need to have a sump. Then, if you can situate the tankstand about 13-inches or so from the corner wall, next to it, you'd be able to plumb a regular skimmer, which I believe you'd find more effective anyway for your 75-gallon tank, in that space. I have two marine tanks set up that way and I'm very happy with that configuration. The skimmer's very accessible. I have one set up that way with the skimmer's pump inside the sump, and another with the skimmer's pump plumbed "dry" next to the sump inside the stand, using a bulkhead. If you'd like any more details, just ask.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i would love to know more about how you have that set up. especially post or PM me pics if you have any? thanks so much
Old 12/27/2007, 01:34 PM
Team RC Member

You can also get a garage-sale entertainment center with doors. Then you can put most anything next to your tank and disguise it as civilized furniture.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

That's so true! I bought a small 2-door cabinet the same colour as our entertainment centre and it sits in the living room where our 90g is. I use it to store fish foods and aquarium supplies; not only does it keep things handy, it disguises a messy assortment of things very nicely
Old 12/27/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

These photos and schematic should give you the idea of how I did it....

I actually made some changes in this configuration when I set up the sump but I could just as well have done it the way it appears.

With the skimmer being outside of the sump, I raised it up so that it's higher than the highest water level the sump will ever contain.

I used regular nylon flexible tubing for getting the water from the skimmer's water pump to the skimmer but PVC for the return back to the sump.

The container in front is there in case I ever am not available to clean out the skimmer's collection cup.

Last edited by Avi; 12/27/2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

so your flow goes out of the display tank to the skimmer to the sump back to the display tank?
Old 12/27/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

No...the flow to the skimmer goes out of the sump and the return from the skimmer goes to the sump. I drilled the holes necessary in the side of the tank stand to get the plumbing through. Take another look at the first of the two photos...it's labeled.