Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Live Rock On Fire?

I have rocks that I am going to use in my new tank, but there are spider webs on the rocks. I know some people put their rocks in ovens, heat them, and then cool them down with freezing or something, but I need these spider webs out of my rock. If I spray buitane gas over the rocks and light them on fire and wash the rocks with water for a while, will the rocks be ok to put back in my tank? Thanks for the help
Old 12/26/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

I wouldnt do that, the butane can and probably will leach out of the rock and into the tank regardless of how you rinse them.

I owuld just get some FW, and swish them around back and forth up and down.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

A heavy rinse and then a good dry. Not sure about the oven but i hear some use the sun.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I guess my idea was pretty naive >.<
Old 12/26/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

I would not suggest freezing the live rock unless you know they are completely dry. Which can take some time... The water left in the rocks with expand and could break them up if brittle. Another idea use an air compressor with a blow tip and blast then out of there. 80 PSI should be more than sufficent
Old 12/26/2007, 10:21 AM
Team RC Member

Dunno, sounds like a transient problem to me; fixing it by killing the rock is sort of like going after dog fleas with a shotgun. You're apt to get rid of the fleas but the dog won't be worth much after.

If you really, really don't like what's on the top surface of your live rock, just flip it over so the obnoxious stuff's on the bottom and away from the light.

It sounds to me as if it's just one of those nuisances that comes and goes, comes and goes, and if you respond to every one of them you'll constantly be doing something to your rock. Get some hermits, get some snails, get an urchin, or just wait. It'll go away.

Just for the record: never bring any substance that smells of volatiles near your tank, not even Windex.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

If the rock has spider webs on it, it's probably not live anyway, Sk8r.
Old 12/26/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

So how do you clean your tank sk8r? I use windex or glass cleaner?

My tank is acrylic so I dont like to scrub the salt in to it, I use lots of windex untill the salt falls off.

Sorry 4 the off topic.
Cope
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails
Old 12/26/2007, 12:50 PM
Team RC Member

Are we talking underwater or not? There are things that do webbish stuff underwater. If indeed underwater, leave it be; if out of water in the garage and webby, it's base rock, and I'd just take a stout brush to it and hose it down once before putting into water.

Clean my tank glass? I use Windex on a cloth I've sprayed in another room, and wave it about a bit to be sure all the ammonia reek has dissipated.

Actually, on acrylic I would not use Windex for the reason that it can cloud plastic; I'd get an acrylic cleaner/polish and apply that to a cloth in the other room.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

i have some rocks with gsp i'm trying to get rid of. right now the rocks are sitting outside in the sun, and i have a steel brush that i'm going to scrub them off with.

not sure if the spider webs would hurt your tank, but as stated before-if there are spiderwebs on them, it probably isn't "live rock" anyways.

i would treat them like i would if i was curing some new rock.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Whay not just cure this rock? It's painless and proper. Put it in a tub of old saltwater with a powerhead. If you don't have a skimmer just change the water with the old water from your main water changes.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

i vote just cure it... its not live anyway, and the non reef stuff will go away...
Old 12/26/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm just gunna cure the rock and see what the hermits and snails do to the spider webs. Hopefully they won't eat it and die
Old 12/26/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I think they will love it!