Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Red face Dead Pepermints

Sorry such a lengthy comment, was tring to give all detail. Please read to bottom

I have a problem with missing and dead pepermint shrimp.

First episode was with 3 shrimp. All looked well after introduction. About 6 hours later, I check, They had good color, moving happly and looked good.

Got up the next morning I had 1 dead and couldnt' find the other 2. The dead one was in peices. Later that day, i found one of the others dead and still to this day never found any carcus of the other.

Waited 2 weeks, Added 2 more. This time I removed my damsils, should have earlyer, was using them for cycle. Added 2 clown at the same time . Same thing, All looked good around 10pm next morning, One dead and one missing in action. Never found it, scowred the take good.

My LFS which is very strick on what she will sell you and your water conditions is a little baffeled.

I added 2 more today and in all honesty, expect them to be missing or dead in the morning.

I test my water every day. Tank is a little over 30 days.

Setup:

125G Tank
PL-2000 Wetdry with small Protien Skimmer (Amaricle)
75 Lbs Live Rock
125Lbs Argonite Substrate, Fine granulars
50Lbs Lace Rock

All Test, PH = 8.3, Amon = 0 Nitrite = 0 Nitrate = 10, Calcium = 500 (A little high), Alkline OK

Temp - 78
Salinity = .0205 ( could be a little higher)

I have found a bunch of hitchhiker on my LR.
at least 2 Britle Stars (Very Small, Silver Doller with legs fully extended)
A Ton of bristle Worms, I belive at least 3 varitities
Aptasia (Who doesnt have)
Small Star, less than a fingernail in size

Any ideas would be apprciated....

Last edited by chasingmytail; 12/21/2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

how do you aclimate them?
Old 12/21/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

When I Aclimate then, I float for 15 or so, at just a little water to the bag with my turkybaster (I find it easier than dunking), keep doint that for about 20 minutes till I have added at least 2times the water. Then I dump then low in the take close to the rock.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Where did your live rock come from?
I'm guessing you have a mantis shrimp.
You need to inspect your tank with a red lens flashlight at night.
Look in the area where the dead shrimp have been found.
Listen for clicking sounds during the night.

Also:

"Salinity = .0205 ( could be a little higher)"

That's quite low.
Needs to be at least 1.025 SG
Old 12/21/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Same thing my LFS Said, But how did it survie the cycle (Although I only had a tiny spike in both amon. and nitrite.)
Old 12/21/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

They are pretty hardy pest.
You may have to purchase a trap.
What ever you do don't try to catch it with your hands.
They're not called "thumb splitters" for nothing.
Do a search on ways to locate and trap them.
Once that's out of there things will be much better.
BTW,some hobbiest keep them in a seperate tank.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Done my homework, Found out how to find them, what to look for and the noises.

I think the stories of a mantis breaking glass is a little far fetched, i could see how they could hurt your hand.

Thanks for the advice, I will post my night watching tommarow and let you know if I found one.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Only mantis capable of breaking glass is a large G. chiragra, or a very large G. ternatensis. There are a few other ones capable, but they will NEVER hitch hike. Also 95% of hitch hiking mantises are diurnal, not nocturnal, and a red light wouldn't help becase they have better vision than us....Where is your LR from? TBS has a high chance of N. wennerae. Also mantises are a very interesting creature. If you have an extra 5 gallon, a HOB filter or powerhead and some extra live rock I would keep it, or post on a local forum and you'll probaly find someone to take it off your hands....

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/21/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Dan.

My live rock was a mix from 2 differnt LFS. One gets the florida stuff and the other gets some from an Hawiia source, Florida . The real problem there is that she buys from other reefers. She did tell me she bough a lot from soming quiting the hobby. I can tell, By growth of items including alge, green bubble eggs and such as well as rock material, shape and makeup that it comes from several differnt sources.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Then it can be near impossible to tell what it is w/o getting a good look at the meral spot and telson. Florida rock usually contains N. wennerae. Don't overestmate the mantis. They are basically harmless and aren't notable for killing corals or being highly destructive. However shrimp and hermits normally be food if they can't find a hiding space when the mantis hunts. Look for where the mantis might be and try lure it out with some shrimp or silverside or whatever frozen meaty food on a wooden skewer. Getting visual confirmation on it is most important. If you have visual confirmation (or are finding tons of broken snails piled up ) keep it well fed-a well fed mantis is a less active (destructive) mantis. Go to stomatopod.com/forum in the tips and tricks forum and there is an article on making a trap/catching a mantis by justinl.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi