Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Uggggrrrrhhhh! Hair Algea! (lots of info)

I am in the throws of the Great Hair Algea Battle of 2007. Its been in progress for approximately 2 months. Here are my specs...

29 gal
2 green chromis, a pair of O. clowns
6 XL turbos, 2 cerith snails, 2 XL nassarius snails
2 peppermint shrimp
lots of pods

~38 # LR, 40 # live sand
chaeto in tank, halimeda in tank

Est. approx. 13 months

Equip: Tunze 9002 skimmer in tank, Tunze 6025 PH, also added AquaClear50 PH with poly filter (installed in the last week)

Temp: 78 degrees F
specific gravity = 1.026 (refract)
Ammonia = 0 (red sea test kit)
pH = 8.2 (red sea test kit)
Alk = 1.7 (stupid Red Sea test kit)
Nitrate = 5 (salifert)
Nitrite = 0 (salifert)

I have been skimming the sand of HA and pulling what I can from the rock weekly and doing 5 gal water changes every 10 days. I always blast the rocks B4 water changes w/turkey baster.

I currently buy my RO water from a very good LFS, which has no evidence of HA in display tanks. I am planning to get my own RODI in January from The Filter Guys.

I run the skimmer in the tank (no fuge) and added the AQ PH in the last week with a polyfilter in an attempt to see if phosphates were a problem. I'm ordering a phosphate test kit. the polyfilter hasn't yet made a difference, though its only been in there a week. Skimmer hasn't been pulling much skimmate.

I've stopped feeding flakes or pellets of any kind to keep possible phosphates out. Only been feeding frozen 1x per day, approx 1/3 cube treated with Garlic Xtreme and Zoe.

The Chaeto in the tank has seemingly not grown at all since its addition 6 mos ago. Halimeda on the other hand I have to prune monthly, sometimes more. I have 2 small patches of bubble algea, but they haven't gotten any bigger in 8 mos.

I thought my bulbs were the problem, so I changed both 1 month ago - t8 RO flourescents (18 w each actinic and daylight).

Am I missing anything? Can you think of anything that could be an additional contributer (other than possibilities of phosphates)? I don't think nitrate at 5 is really the problem.

Any other solutions other than more of the same?
Thanks!

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 12/21/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Phosphates are usually the key for hair algae. So I'd figure out some way to run phosphate obsorber. I've used a cheap HOB filter to run phosphate sponge in my 20 gal and it helped.

Be sure and rinse the frozen food, apparently the juice it's frozen in is a source of high nutrients, including phosphate.

Check your calcium as well. I know this is FO tank, but any time my Calcium and Alkalinity get out of ballance I have some kind of algae bloom.

When you get your phosphate test kit check your source water too. The RO was getting from my LFS turned out to have over 50ppm when I got my TDS meter. Needless to say I have my own RO/DI now, wouldn't consider a saltwater tank without one now.

You could probably cut back on your feeding to 3 days a week with no harm to your fish or shrimp.

A tube brush works great for removing the stuff. Stick it down in the middle of the HA and spin it. The algae winds up around it like spaggetti around a fork.

Good luck
Phil
Old 12/21/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Whats used for flow? I would get more nass snails.
This may help.Gl

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2002/chem.htm

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm
Old 12/21/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I do like Polyfilters but I would run some sort of GFO in a reactor if you could also. I would probably get another 6025 or a Korilla for some more flow. Get some hermits also along with a few more snails. Watch alk/calcium levels. Using kalk can also help with phosphates.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

forgot to mention Ido

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
Whats used for flow? I would get more nass snails.
This may help.Gl

the tunze 6025 PH is for flow.

oops! forgot to mention I do have 3 blue leg hermits, too.

Yeah, I figured it'd be the phosphates, hands-down. I'm gonna get a cheap HOB filter and run some phosphate remover.

If I cut down on feeding anymore, the shrimps start to murder the snails.

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 12/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I am no expert on the cause and long term solution for the hair algae. But, my tank began to grow a little in some of the low flow/dead areas. I bought a sea hare and it cleared the algae down within a few hours. It has not grown back since (about 2 weeks ago). The one that I have is a hair algae eating machine. It may be worth your time to try that as a temporary band aid, before it gets worse.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

No snails. I have lots of snails and no HA
Old 12/21/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

It is a definate battle that I wish upon no one. I have been battling it for over 3 months. I have a 30 gal fuge full of cheato, rock, and sand, Octopus 150 skimming, and a Phos ban Reactor, along with Phos pads. Nitrates definatley stay at 0-.01 and yet it still continues.

The best success I had was using STOP ALGAE and pulling the rock out and scrubbing it down. The STOP ALGAE only spot treats and you are suggested to stop flow for 24 hours, I stopped using thinking with out flow, could be bad for corals. Pull the rock out if you can and actually scrub it down, I feel has been my best success. It hasn't grown back on any of the rock from over a month now. Good Luck
Old 12/22/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

A fuge is the only way to go. I battled hair algae in tank for about 6 months then I added a fuge and haven't had any problems since. I have every algae known growning in my fuge including hair and cyano. Maybe you could try 1 of those little hang on the back fuges. Would probably help.