Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurentSeattle
I have placed in the RSM the totality of the Aragonite sand that comes with the Red Sea starter kit. And on top of that I have added about one inch of white "live sand". That's, I guess, a deep sand bed.

Bare bottom... I never really considered it: Not very nice, it needs months before coralline covers the bottom and benefits, according to my LFS, is mainly longevity of the tank, after 4 or 5 years. A big issue for large tanks, but not a real one for nanos. Since I will likely rebuild the RSM within the next five years, I choosed to do some immediate "profit taking" on the Deep Sand Bed...
Agreed, Bare bottom does not look great but does offer an interesting minimalist look to a tank. It does have benefits though in terms of less detritus accumulation and ease of cleaning. The most extreme version being when live rock is suspended by pvc pipe off the bottom surface. As far as your alklinty/calcium issues, i would read article on the advanced aquarist website. There are some great articles explaining water chemistry in terms of Alk and Ca and how to independently control their levels.

I Enjoy reading the thread. im impressed with the tank
Old 12/19/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Like your tank - nice pics.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:39 AM
Excuse My French...

Thanks scottydo!

rmcgookey: I have read a number of articles about Ca/Alk on that website. I tried Magnesium supplementation, it really seemed to be the solution... but that was a failure... with the loss of my gramma...
Old 12/19/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Folks;
Well, guess I'll jump in here. My, RSM, now 7 weeks new, & all is well. Purchased the first 3 soft coals last week & everything is going well(hope to post some Pics, by the way). Currently, only 3 damsels in the tank since week 3. My RSM is original, with no mods whatsoever, & most importantly, NO SUBSTRATE, on the recommendation of my LSM!
In my humble view, I feel the following are KEY to the RSM;
1. Only RO/DI water acceptable.
2. NO SUBSTRATE.
3. Live Rock MUST BE fully cured.
4. Take your time!
Since introducing the soft corals last Sunday, I just can't stop watching their progression.
Take Care, & Merry Christmas to All, & Have a GREAT 08'
Jerry
Old 12/19/2007, 09:19 PM
Excuse My French...

JB23:

DSB or not, with so many conflicting advices that you can get, that's indeed a dilemma when starting a new tank... I choose the DSB... Good luck with the Bare Bottom.

I strongly agree with all other points you mentionned.

Also, there are a few mods for the RSM that cost nothing and truly improve the system such as the "Silence the Skimmer" mod. Check the RSM club thread.

Last edited by LaurentSeattle; 12/19/2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:46 PM
Genuine reef addict

JB23 - sounds like things are going great with the tank. I'll agree with 3 out of 4 I'm not sure I agree with the no substrate - I rather like mine, and after some adjustments to my flow pattern and replacing my carbon/DI unit with a true 5 stage RO/DI my aragonite substrate is now as clean as it was on day 1. All kinds of opinions on barebottom tanks - pros and cons, and personal preferences. I'll add a 5th one that may cause controversy - add marine Bio-Spira when the rock goes in - I never had a measurable cycle, nor a hair algae attack, and had fish in by week 2 without ever getting measurable ammonia or nitrite (multiple test kits to be sure). I can only attribute that to truly cured rock and the live bacteria innoculant.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Folks;
Much thanks for the response.
Reefmack-My LFS suggested Marine Bio-Spira when adding the rock-Done!
Laurent-Wow! Skimmer noise is my only issue-How is this resolved?
Take Care All-Jerry
Old 12/20/2007, 12:05 AM
Excuse My French...

JB23: About Skimmer noise:

Just drill a little hole in the right side of the collection box and insert the air intake tube in there. And voila: the suction noise of the skimmer is gone...

Some have even noticed an improvement in the foam production, but I did not.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:33 AM
Excuse My French...

Month 6 - Week 25 - Day 174 - Wednesday December 19th - Around 9:30pm

- Did the usual maintenance: Top off, cleaning white pad, cleaning the glass...

- Cut more Bryopsis... After cutting, it looks almost clean. But most will be back...

- Did a 2.5 g water change in prevision to the long XMas weekend.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:22 AM
Genuine reef addict

JB23 - good to hear another Bio-Spira success story. No matter what some folks think I'm convinced it really does help with the cycle and also the algae stages. To me it's money well spent.

Laurent - great news on the Bryopsis. Hopefully it won't regrow. Do you try blowing out the debris under the spots where it grows? I've read that it traps debris and sediment and that this nourishes the stuff. I have had a few strands of the junk reappear, but nothing like it was before my magnesium treatment. I'm limiting myself to a weekly mg addition now, and the Foxface is also helping control the stuff - I never have had it grow back on my zoa colonies.

On the skimmer - have you tried replacing the air valve with a new airline valve? Someone in the club thread recently replaced the stock air valve with a cheap plastic airline valve from his lfs and greatky improved the skimmer performance.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:50 PM
Excuse My French...

Reefmack:

Before trying another valve, I have tried to run the stock skimmer with no valve at all. Easy, you just pull the valve from the air tube.

No improvement at all. Same little foam production, same amount of micro-bubbles.

Therefore, I concluded that placing another valve would not help...
Old 12/20/2007, 08:59 PM
Moved On

Try hooking up a big air pump to it! That oughta give us some traction! YeeHaw!!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

lauren~ you dont want more air that is the problem with the skimmer it gets to much. get a new valve and throw it on and turn it up only to the point where u get small bubbles. do not open all the way it wont work. let it run at that setting for 1 day and then look at the skimate. trust me!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Folks;
Martin; My reef book has been "Mini-Reef Aquariums" by Jeffery Kurtz. You can't imagine how helpful this has been-by the way a 2005 print!
Reefmack; Yes, I agree, Bio-Spira, I feel really makes a real difference. Also, on the Great Substrate Debate, Heres' my feeling! All is really well at 7 weeks, but I can always add in the future, the RSM Substrate, without significant issues.
Jerry
Final Question-Is there a Forum where I can learn how to post Pics?
Merry Christmas, & Happy New Year To All!
Jerry
Old 12/20/2007, 10:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
lauren~ you dont want more air that is the problem with the skimmer it gets to much.
Eh, well... you could still try the air pump idea. Just make sure the pump is HUGE. And hook the inlet up to a NO2 bottle!!! Just make sure there aren't any open flames nearby
Old 12/20/2007, 10:27 PM
Excuse My French...

stephensturman:

So... The point is actually less air. I believed we had not enough. I will try this then.

JB23:

For picture posting, visit the Photography forum and especially this thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=333197
Old 12/20/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Laurent;
Thanks-Jerry
Old 12/21/2007, 08:27 AM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mikellini
Eh, well... you could still try the air pump idea. Just make sure the pump is HUGE. And hook the inlet up to a NO2 bottle!!! Just make sure there aren't any open flames nearby
The air pump idea was tried months ago & failed. Why would we want to use nitrogen dioxide? We're you maybe thinking N2O - nitrous oxide - laughing gas?

Laurent - Santa is bringing me the Nano Reef Handbook - I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for recommending it.

JB23 - that's another vote for the Bio-Spira. Some people think it's a waste, without even researching it, or trying it, but most of us that have tried it find it works. I think if more people added it they'd have a lot less issues with new tank cycles, etc. Just my (our) opinion based on experience with it. The way I look at it, anything that can have a chance at helping is worth the money spent, and it certainly can't have any negative effects. It's the only bacterial additive I've ever tried, FW or SW, that actually gave results.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Mack, I am currently reading the book. Its an easy read. I have been in freshwater for over 20 years. I have studied Salt Water. This book explains everything without insulting your intelligence. I also like it. I also would recommend it but it is Laurents thread and I don't want to take away his thunder,

Happy Holidays

Marty

Laurent - Santa is bringing me the Nano Reef Handbook - I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for recommending it.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:45 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Marty & thanks for the book review - sounds good! I've been in and out of freshwater for (hate to admit it) at least 50 years LOL. FW tanks and equipment have sure changed in that time, and the same with SW (still & always a newbie I think). Like so many things these days, reefkeeping technology is constantly changing and improving, and I like to read things that have been published recently, as technology and opinions become outdated so quickly.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Actually its aroud 40. It is nice to see another FW hobbiest who started BD. (Before Dynaflow) LOL

Marty

Hi Marty & thanks for the book review - sounds good! I've been in and out of freshwater for (hate to admit it) at least 50 years LOL. FW tanks and equipment have sure changed in that time, and the same with SW (still & always a newbie I think). Like so many things these days, reefkeeping technology is constantly changing and improving, and I like to read things that have been published recently, as technology and opinions become outdated so quickly. [/QUOTE]
Old 12/21/2007, 10:52 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hah - I like the BD comment! I can remember when they first came out with the powerfilters - so much better than those little semi-useless bubble filters that sat in a corner of my slate bottom, stainless steel framed tanks! Cycling? No one much even knew about it back then. It's a wonder the fish (most of them) lived through it. Guppies available were mostly the original type - you were really hot stuff if you had a fancy guppy! But I think the fish were hardier back then - less inbreeding for color and long fins. I guess we're now way off topic for Laurent's thread. Sorry Laurent!
Old 12/21/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Sorry Laurent also. I will say this is one of the better One person threads on RC. Your attention to detail and constantly updating the thread is commendable. Thank you

Happy Holidays

Marty

Sorry Laurent! [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12/21/2007, 03:21 PM
Excuse My French...

No problem guys...
Old 12/21/2007, 03:55 PM
Moved On

yeah, nitrous oxide... sorry. But what would either of them do, really? who knows... unless you try it!!! lol