Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Flame Angel with a Coral Beauty?

I wanted to add a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty to my tank, but just read on saltwaterfish.com that you can only have one species of angel at a time in a single tank, and that these two would be incompatible. Is that true?

Anyone have any success with these 2 fish together?

I also have 2 clowns, 2 chromis, and a mandarin goby
Old 12/19/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

in a tank smaller than 100 i think your really pushing it
Old 12/19/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
in a tank smaller than 100 i think your really pushing it
Agreed. If you have something like a 100 gal or larger it is possible and actually, it's done all the time. But not in a 55. The aggression will be too much and will probably stress them out.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I had three dwarf angels in a 55gal before. I guess I was lucky.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

If you add them at the same time it may be ok. I had a flame,heraldi and coral beauty in a 50 gallon reef.
I currently have a pair of Aflamebacks and a flame in a 150.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

wow you guys must have got really lucky with these fish
Old 12/19/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Its always tricky! Some people say it cant be done, or isnt healthy for the fish because of stress from aggression, etc....some people say add them at the same time and you'll be fine.....what to do, what to do!?
Old 12/20/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Every fish is different, you could get lucky, but I would stay away from it on principle, not to mention a 55 is a small tank anyway
Old 12/20/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

before I knew any better, a flame added to my 55 that already had a coral beauty resulted in a dead flame. I hate myself for being so ignorant back then.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

if you do add it, get one or more mirrors and tape them to the glass it will help. if you can find both at the same time it should also help.
Old 12/20/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

the mirrors i guess keep them from thinking they are the only species in the tank? i also dont want to stress the clowns or the chromis, they all 4 are inseperable! So peaceful, never fought once!!

If I did attempt, I most certainly would try and find the smallest possible fish, and would definitely add them at the same time. I dont have a quarintine tank so they would have to go in the DT off the bat! They are my two favorite (and inexpensive fish) and would probably round out my 55G! It sucks they might not get along!

I know I've read alot of people on here who have both...wonder what thier secret is?
Old 12/20/2007, 08:25 PM
R I P we miss you...

I have both in my tank with no problems but... I have a 125 gallon and added them at the same time. In fact I brought both home in a bucket together and then added to my tank.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

You are actually one of the ones I remember!! I read your entire gigantic thread til 2 am one morning! What a roller-coaster!

And you never had any problems? Im quite sure that having a bigger tank is much better for fish like that, I wish I had the room!

I am glad to see that some people can handle both though....they are some of my favs!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:36 PM
R I P we miss you...

Boca Kris, LOL what a memory, I'm impressed!!!

I never had problem one. I would guess a bigger tank and adding them at the same time is the key. The funny thing is when I first got them they slept in the same space for like 2 weeks or something. Finally they found their own places.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/21/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

worst fight i have ever seen in a 125...
Old 12/21/2007, 06:03 AM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
Originally posted by rollnheavy
worst fight i have ever seen in a 125...
Curious to know were they added at the same time? How long had they been in the same tank?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 12/21/2007, 08:59 AM
Generic Member

I've had a FA for a long time and added a smaller CB to the 180G. I knew it was a risk. It was bad the 1st day. The FA chased and nipped at the CB relentlessly. The 2nd day wasn't so bad. By the 3rd day, the war was over and the CB could outrun the FA. The CB was a bit tattered looking, but recovered quickly. I wouldn't say they are now best friends, but there has been no aggression since.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

i have both in my 100gal, and every now and then the flame angel will chase the coral beauty. its kinda fun to watch. he cant cath the coral beauty, but
Old 12/21/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I added a flame to my 100 that already had a coral beauty about two years ago.

It wasn't the angles that fought.I had and still have a d*&% yellow damsel that harassed it to death.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

I personally wouldn't want the headache of two angels in a 55. But thats just me.

People will generally do what they want to and try to get others to agree and you will always find someone to agree. Doesn't make it right or even the best thing to do. You will come to love any livestock that you put into your tank. Why not make it as good as you possibly can to help try and eliminate possible regrets?

HTH
Old 12/21/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

When I first started in this hobby, I had both CB and FA. I bought the FA and a friend came over with a CB. Not having a clue about any saltwater fish I just dumped in the CB. They actually lived very well together for about 3 or 4 years, and were kind of buddies. Then one day my tank crashed and EVERYTHING died! (still not sure why, but at that point I didn't even test my water except for salinity). So about 6 months later I got my tank back up and running, and bought another CB. Well now shes been in the tank for about 3 years alone because I can't keep anything besides shrimp with her! (yes, she is aggressive with them also!) I wouldn't dare put a FA in the tank with her. Shes a real b__ch! So I guess it just depends on the temperament of the CB you get. Also I have read about the same with the FA.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Im still torn, cause those are really the only 2 fish I still want, but I fully recognize its a gamble....and the prospect of trying to fish one or the other out is scary to even think about! And above all, I do want a peacefull, healthy tank for both my and the fish!

Why cant everyone just get along!

)
Old 12/21/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
I personally wouldn't want the headache of two angels in a 55. But thats just me.

People will generally do what they want to and try to get others to agree and you will always find someone to agree. Doesn't make it right or even the best thing to do. You will come to love any livestock that you put into your tank. Why not make it as good as you possibly can to help try and eliminate possible regrets?

HTH
Very wise advice and worth heeding, let us know how you decide.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boca Kris

Im still torn, cause those are really the only 2 fish I still want, but I fully recognize its a gamble....and the prospect of trying to fish one or the other out is scary to even think about! And above all, I do want a peacefull, healthy tank for both my and the fish!

Why cant everyone just get along!

)
Your dealing with the animal kingdom.

No room for negotiation.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

in my 90 I have an CB and Flame added the same time so no problems. Plus I have a male and female Watanabe.All get along fine.