Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mitch, so sorry to hear you got ill again. I hope you are back to 100% soon. Man you need to really take more care when you mess with the tank. This is already twice that I know of and it seems worse than the last time. Again sorry to hear you were down bud.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Mitch-What the hell is in there????? You must have some kind of allergic reaction to something.I'm by no means a doctor,but your situation needs looking in to.Sorry to sound like a parent,but you are getting really bad symtoms.Glad your feeling better dude.Later
Jeff
Old 12/15/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Actually there are many things in your tank that can make you very sick search the forums for them they are there I kinow of at least two threads that people went to the hospital from something in thier tank. Most of the times it only happens when I'm working on my tanks for extended periods of time. Could even be amonnia poisoning. I know fire sponges can mess you up as well. Zoas also have polytoxin that can hurt you and I'm sure there are many things that are just as bad that we recieve in live rock. I really would have gone to the ER this time but I couldn't even get up off the sofa so luckily I made it out ok but thanks for everyones concern.

But anyways I'm feeling much better today feels a little like a hangover. I'll try my best to get some pics up later I took some but I'm aclimating some fish and getting ready to watch a movie.

Like I said hood and doors aren't done. and there are plugs in the three closed loop bulkheads till I get my new pump hopefully in Jan!
Old 12/15/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

go to the ER isnt easy here i would think. if you do go, you need to stress that you are sick from a marine tank. i sure they are not used to dealing with those types of illness. i am glad that it hasnt bothered me but its on my mind when i work on my tank and i would need to tell the ER if it came down to it. would be nice to have some of the info ready and handy on what type of corals we have and maybe ever a sample of the water when it comes down to it.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:48 AM
Registered Member

Sorry this pics won't be my best, still filling under the weather and I've got more work to do.

Rock work will stay but corals are scattered all over the place.

will be adding another skimmer and blocking out most of the light under skimmers for a cryptic zone

middle section with buckets for RDSB and live rock

the end of the sump is split in up part for a refugium and a plane of glass seperating the refuge from the return section.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

two large rocks of zoas some from Sam some from others but this rocks are not small huge colony

nice encrusting monti from Sam, purple with green poylps

another encrusting monti maybe redish orange with light purple polyps

here is my huge clam he is for now the center piece of the tank

Once again still in progress but at least it is together and running.
I've got alot of work to do still. But my plan as hard as it will be it to carfully purchase my corals to mainly SPSs and to purchase only one I really like to keep them to a minimum. most the softies and LPSs will be put into my wifes tank here soon.

I did order 3 carpenter wrasse and 3 anthias but forgot which kind already, also have some pacific ring of fire zoas for the wifies tank comming hope to be here on Wensday. Got the order from my friend at Fish and Phipps. So hopefully they will all come in!\

Anyways questions??????? Critiques??????????
Old 12/16/2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

if you need something for size perspective just look at the white plugs on the back wall they are 2 inch plugs for my closed loop. kind of gives some size to the clam.

There is so much more room with out those stupid corner overflows. Also the entire return setup is temp till I get my new pumps. But I've already got a 2 inch bulkhead drilled and installed in the return section in the sump just waiting.

Normaly I would have purchase the pumps but being the holiday seasion I've got to buy my friends and family gift. Dosen't suck to buy them gifts but just holds back some progress and my wife refuses to purchase me fish related item for chritsmas because I get what I want for that everyother day of the year
Old 12/16/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking tank. That clam is incredible. How big is it? Its hard to tell since it is closer to the camara then the closed loop plugs. Are you going to add more rock or keep it minimal like you have it now?
Old 12/16/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Mitch-I'm liking the bare bottum.The clam is whopper.I like the set up.Was asking Sam about pulling out all the sand in mine.Long process.Not sure yet,Will probably leave it alone.My luck everything would die. Later Jeff
Old 12/16/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Looking good Mitch. I really like the open space. I know where you bought that one big zoa rock. LOL
You know it may not be a bad idea for you to get together a list of the known things you have in your tank and do some research on what or how they can do to humans. You could make up a list kind of like a MSDS ( I am sure you know what MSDS is) that if you ever needed could be taken to the ER with you in the future. John was thinking pretty good on these lines when he mentioned it earlier.

As he stated earlier, I kind of doubt that any ER's around here have anything on any of the kind of things we keep in our tanks. It might not be a bad idea for each of us to have the same thing on hand just in case we ever needed it.

This is something that I may look into doing some research on and maybe make a list of things and try to get together a sheet that maybe we can pass out at a meeting, or i may make one up and email it out to everybody and you can pritn your own if you want to. It may not be a an easy of fast task to do, but I am going to look into it is some spare time.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:45 PM
King of the Tank!

Mitch – Tank looks great!! I’ve been busy for the last few weeks so haven’t been on here much and glad to see your got it up and running!!! No more long dwell time in the tank for you!! Wondering if you can get a pic of that glass-flow overflow? Is that it mounted on the back centered? Again, looks awesome!!

Jay
Old 12/17/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey all, I haven't had much luck as far as trying to put together any kind of list. The only real thing I can find much on is the palythoa toxin and there is no antitoxin for it. I have not given up yet though. Mitch I really hope you are back to 100% again. I second what Jay said, no more long dwell time in the tank for you.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

Mitch, do you use iodine in your tank? You may be having a reaction to it. I just remembered, a friend of mine here in Deming got really sick after working in her tank for a couple of hours. She does use lugols and does have bad reactions to iodine. She just wasn't thinking about it or just didn't put two and two together.

Even if you dont dose iodine it could still be present in your tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys and gals

Yes I'm still alive. @90% better. Still tired and have a slight cough.

Jay- I'll try to get a pic of the overflow. But it isn't glass it is acrylic.
Yes it is centered and is not very noticable as it is black and so is the background. It is mounted useing the bulkheads. Real easy drill you hole in the tank measure and put the overflow how you want it and use the new hole in your tank as guides for the hole in the overflow. I was even a little off but still came out fine. The diamond bits hole bit cut thru the acrylic very easy as well so I didn't even take off the bit to do the drilling. Uses two gaskets and the bulkhead is mounted backwards whith one gasket inbetween the overflow and the glass and the other gasket on the outside of the tank sandwiched between the glass and bulkhead.

Reeftexas- yes I'm likin the BB as well but if you decide to go that route just research it throughly, things are done a little different. As far as removing your sand. You can do it in small incraments. A little section every week or two weeks.And isn't to much of a problem as long as you don't have a deep sand bed. And the less time your tank has been setup the less problem as well. A Deep sand bed takes @ a year to establish fully. BB is harder to aquascape, ther is no sand to help balance the rocks they most support themselves. I don't know if I mentioned but I cut some acrylic for the bottom of the tankin case of a rock falls I didn't want it fitting the bottom.
I'm also cheating a little because a true BB tank has no sand anywhere but I installed two 5 gal buckets in my sump for RDSB. A little cheat but becasue it is in buckets if I want to remove I want have to stir up anything just pull out the buckets and done.

Strayvoltage- No I don't dose iodine yet. I'm sure it's in there thought. In the salt mix and maybe in the Bionic I dose. I need to find some gloves that come to my shoulder. The one that goe to the forearm won't help a bit.