Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

ca reactor and ph ??

I have got my reactor up and running and I think I have got it dialed in. Effluent ph is 6.6-6.8 and the controller is set at 6.8. My tank ph is 8.0. Can I use a ph buffer with my ATO instead of kalk? Anyone tried this? Also what is the best way to hold the probe if the reactor does not have a port? Any ideas or help. Thanks.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Yes, you can use pH buffer if you want, most use kalk but if your system doesn't need the extra ca/dkh it adds then just use buffer.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:54 PM
Reef Chemist

It would not be a good idea to use a buffer only, unless you manually add calcium to balance it. Otherwise, you'll boost alkalinity and deplete calcium.

Buffers are not the best way to raise pH, if that is the concern. Limewater (kalkwasser) is far better.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

OK but can I add kalk to my ATO instead of dripping? I have a 15 gallon container for my RODI and a pressure switch in my sump set at my desired level. When the level becomes too low the switch turns on a pump in the container and fills the sump back to its level. Would that add too much kalk at one time ? I estimate it to be about 2-5 cups of fresh water at a time, although I have never measured this.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:25 PM
Reef Chemist

OK but can I add kalk to my ATO instead of dripping?

If it does not add too much too fast, yes. Adding 1.25% of the tank volume will boost the pH by about 0.7 pH units, which is way too much. Same is true in a sump, although with a large sump turnover, that effect might be minimized.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I have just done tests and things check out ok.
calcium 410
alk 3.5meq
ph 8.1
I was thinking on holding off on the kalk for a while and average out tests, say 4 times a week for a month and see where I am at. I will check the ph at night too and compare to daytime readings. If there is not that that much fluctuation I think I should be ok.