Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Successful Upgrade Tips

I currently have a 55g and will be upgrading to a 90g within the next month. Actually, I'll be posting my thread on this forum!

Anyway, my current 55g is doing very well, but I'm worried I'll have trouble in the move to the 90g because it will be going where the 55g currently is. I'd like to keep the collateral damage to a minimum, especially the inverts.

If anyone has any suggestions or threads that might help me prepare for this day, please chime in. Thanks!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I'm going to watch too. I'll be moving from my 100gal to a 220 gal (different spots, but I'm worried about switching too).
Old 12/18/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Got a spare 10 gallon? Great place to temporarily store those inverts. Siphon off some tank water during a water change and you have a home for those inverts during the move. Just simply start pulling them out as you see them. It may tank a few days but you get the majority of them. At least snail-wise. Hermits are easy to snag as well. It's those pesky shrimp that I had trouble getting. They endied up coming out after moving the liverock.

FWIW --landlord
Old 12/18/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

quickness is key for me, when i do upgrades or moves, id say have a garbage can with as much of your tank water as possible. put all your rocks in that garbage can. also have two 5 gallon buckets with new saltwater and when taking rocks out of your tank dip them in each 5 gallon bucket and swish them around to clean up detritus, then place them in the garbage can, put the inverts in a smaller bucket and put corals in a shallow bucket with ah eater, chances are the water will get colder so heating them is best,

good luck
Old 12/18/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

How long can I keep inverts and fish in a temp tank while the new tank is cycling? I'm worried that once I move over the currently live rock into the new tank, levels will go haywire. All the while, the condition of the temp tank water will also be getting worse....
Old 12/18/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

I changed a 280 for a 500. Get yourself a separate tank and cycle the new rock for a month first. The most important thing would be having the extra water. You will need enough for the new display, full. And enough to have your temp stock full at the same time. Once the rock has cured and all water parms match. You will be able to make the change with little risk...

Happy Reefing
Old 12/18/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Good info. Here's my plan (very general version).

1) Transfer 55g livestock and water to temp tank
2) Save 55g live rock and water in trash cans
3) Empty/move 55g
4) Put 90g in final place, fill with rock and water from trash cans
5) Fill 90g with new salt water

How long might it be for this new water to be ready for the livestock in the temp tank?
Old 12/18/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Or, you could move everything from the 55 (rock, inverts, fish, corals) into a plastic baby pool until the new tank is ready. You could even rig up your lights on top of cinder blocks if this will be for an extended time.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

That's actually not that bad of an idea! I'm going to have my skimmer hooked up to the new tank before I put the livestock in, though. How long can fish/corals be in a temp tank without a skimmer? I'd probably have to do daily water changes.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

A lot of people run their tanks without skimmers and I know that mine has been out for a week at a time without too much trouble. Cutting down on feeding would help, or you could see if you could borrow a HOB skimmer from someone if this will be for an extended time.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Good info. Here's my plan

1) Transfer 55g livestock and water to temp tank
2) Save 55g live rock and water in trash cans
3) Empty/move 55g
4) Put 90g in final place, fill with rock and water from trash cans
5) Fill 90g with new salt water
If you do this you won't cycle at all. In essence you will be just adding water volume with new salt water which will be good for your tank. All you have to worry about is matching temps. If you have old sand don't put that in, just get some new sand. Your current live rock will seed it.

Don't worry about the pool thing unless you really have to remove the 55g and wait a long time for the new tank. Its best to just keep things simple, as there is less chance for something to go wrong.