Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I figure on trying this weekend and will post my results...I am not going to fill the thing with vinegar and water (75 gallons of vinegar water!!!!) I plan to put it on its side and doing one pane at a time.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

UPDATE!!!!

I turned the tank on its side and filled one side with pure vinegar on Saturday, refilled for evaporation and scraped with a razor blade a few times. As of this morning I cannot see any deposits. I left the vinegar there for the day, and will clean it up and start another side tonight. It seems that this might be the answer. The top tank frame held enough vinegar to do the soak after levelling the tank very carefully. It only had about 1/4 inch depth, but it was the chemical not the volume that apparently did the trick.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

woot! hard to imagine dumping 75 gal of vinergar water down the drain, prolly waking up the whole neighborhood.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Yup, I figured putting it on its side and just floating about 1/2 gallon into the one side at a time would be far better for the environment!
Old 12/11/2007, 02:28 PM
Huge Member

Glad to hear its working! Sorry the steel wool trick didn't do it.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/11/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I had high hopes for that, but this stuff just snickered at the steel wool....I figure if I get the second side started tonight it should be clear by Friday, then one end from Friday through Sunday and I'm done. I'm going to false wall one end for a peninsular arrangement.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Well, with drying and more careful examination I am sad to say that the deposits are not gone, but they are notably reduced...I can live with what I have now....side #2 soaking now....
Old 12/12/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Another thing that has worked for me in the past is the cleaner CLR (Calcium, Lime, & Rust). It's in the bathroom cleanser isle. Silver/grey bottle. For some of the stubborn spots, several applications and a razor blade are still needed.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I thought about trying that, but was afraid of possible residues....have you used it on a tank that became a reef? This is going to be a mixed reef, primarily SPS and LPS....I don't want to poison them before I get them started....
Old 12/12/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

the clr isn't going to soak into the glass i'm pretty sure, but it could soak into the silicone. i think if you did use it and then rinsed very thoroughly you would be ok if you ran carbon and a poly filter for a few months.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

My tank was small and relatively inexpensive so I just went out and got another one. I would LOVE to know what caused such severe deposits in the first one though. If this happens again I may snap!

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchReef
I thought about trying that, but was afraid of possible residues....have you used it on a tank that became a reef? This is going to be a mixed reef, primarily SPS and LPS....I don't want to poison them before I get them started....

CLR was the first thing I bought but I chickened out. I would hate to get everything set back up and then have the possibility of some kind of residue in the back of my mind.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

CLR

I've never had problems with using CLR. And I'm pretty lax in worrying about contaminating the tank. I've pretty much only got sps in my tanks.

If the tank is broken down, I use whatever it takes to get the deposits off, I then use a bit of dish detergent to remove whatever chemical I used, rinse real well and them maybe... and I don't always do it, I'll then clean with a salt solution and again rinse.

Just my two bits.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

cool....I guess that's round two....another friend swears by muriatic acid.....the saga continues....
Old 12/16/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Okay....I SURRENDER!!!!

I tried the 4 day vinegar soak, the vinegar with steel wool, the C-L-R soak, the C-L-R with steel wool and I totally give up....I am going to have a tank with, albeit minor, ugly deposits at the top....now all I gotta do is get the end drilled, plumbed, false walled, get my fuge lighting, get a little fuge tank........