Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

Question Where to buy NORI?

Where can I find Nori for my tang around naperville/aurora?

I just did a search to find out what nori was because ive been buying the expensive stuff from the petstore. Never even came across me that they use it in sushi. I wanted to soak it in garlic for my tang.

Thanks
Old 12/12/2007, 01:55 AM
RC Sponsor

Most big grocery stores (safeway, luckys out here) sell it now in there international food aisles
Old 12/12/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

if you cant find it at a big grocery store look for an asian grocer
Old 12/12/2007, 09:37 AM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

there are a lot of places in schaumburg, that has it.. it fact if you go to the 3 LFS , Behyond the reef, Advnced and Petland, there is a PetCO right there. next to the Pet CO there is an Asian markett that has it
Old 12/12/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

If you can get your hands on Rods food, It has Nori in it.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:52 AM
Frag-a-holic

Make sure if you get sushi nori that it is not seasoned or anything. If you find a little asian market, they will have several different varieties.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/12/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

thanks every one... I already have rod's... but i was looking for something to feed my yellow tang. but my other fish go crazy for the dried seaweed too, and also broccoli. If i do the garlic soaked nori method do i still attach it to the clip or should i just shred some up and throw it in?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:06 AM
Frag-a-holic

You can soak it in garlic and then out it in a clip. I think this will result in less waste. Don't soak it for too long though, it may start to break down. Are you doing garlic as a preventative or do you have a sick fish that you are trying to target feed?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/12/2007, 10:37 AM
OT JUGgler

you can also wrap the nori around a rock, put a rubberband around it and let the rock sink to the bottom of your tank
Old 12/12/2007, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

I have a yellow tang that overnight developed ick. but i would also like to feed the nori regularly.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:50 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

What I'd like to find is the red or purple nori. All I can ever find is green. If anyone knows where to find red or purple, that is unseasoned just dry, roasted, do let me know.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/12/2007, 12:08 PM
I buy in bulk!

If you can't find it local here is an online seller that seems to have the best price that I found. At least for the amount you get.

http://www.koamart.com/shop/11-1122-...sheets_bag.asp

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I have found it at Jewel and Meijer in Naperville.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:27 PM
Any rare SPS for sale?

My fish like the Nori with jalapeno pepper seasoning on it. Rods food has that in it too no?
Old 12/16/2007, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

yellow tangs love to eat.....top 5 food

1) Ogo....red macro algae seaweed
2) Romaine Lettuce....(try it on a veggie clip) (any grocery store)
3) spinach leaf (any grocery store)
4) nori.....green,red (grocery store in the asian food section,or ocean nutrition has packaged Nori)
5)Spirulina flakes, or cubed frozen brine with spirulina in it)

also take a piece of rock and leave it in a bucket of saltwater in the direct sunlight for one week......the yellow tang will eat the algae that grows over the rock

good luck.....Les
Old 12/16/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
What I'd like to find is the red or purple nori. All I can ever find is green. If anyone knows where to find red or purple, that is unseasoned just dry, roasted, do let me know.

I find the red/purple stuff at a local store that carries All Natural products (from foods to detergents ). Its a place called Duck soup coup, but I am sure you have similar stores in your area. The nori that duck soup coup carries is from Edens Vegetables. They have both roasted and un-roasted. The stuff you want is Unroasted. Its much more expensive than the roasted stuff youll find at the grocery stores, but its a heckuvalot more nutritional. For the regular roasted green stuff, I get mine at Meijer's grocery store.. Isle 9, Asian foods..
Old 12/16/2007, 10:07 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Thanks Rod. Will look aorund. Hey, don't forget to check your email!

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food