Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Who got the algea....

does anyone know where they are currently selling chaeto and such?
Old 12/09/2007, 01:00 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Are you coming to the meeting? There usually some there and i have some I can give you. If you don't want to wait pm me and you can come and get some.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

unfortunately we have not been able to come to the meetings for a while.. we have a 16 month old son and have no one to watch him. where do you live? i appreciate your help.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:21 PM
Delaware Reef Club

I can harvest some if you can't catch up with Al.

Some 'um "credit card fraud" is that detecting it? Preventing it? Or how you finance the reef habit?

Craig
Old 12/09/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

lol... well they do pay me to do it so i guess its how i pay for the hobby as well... but no i work for bank of america in the fraud detection dept.. we call customers when a transaction comes in that seems strange to their spending pattrn. if you have ever had a charge declined it was probably us.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Huh... nice to know you are protecting my bank account
Old 12/09/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

next time you yell at your friendly analyst you may think twice...we are just trying to help and find the perps!

If they ask you how many stories you have on you house and what your neighbors name is just answer the question. lol
Old 12/09/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

next time you yell at your friendly analyst you may think twice...we are just trying to help and find the perps!

If they ask you how many stories you have on you house and what your neighbors name is just answer the question. lol
Old 12/10/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

i also have some chaeto you can have ... n wilmington area if that's more convenient.

- ted
Old 12/12/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

If anyone in southern/central delaware has a large clump of chaeto they need to get rid of id love to pick some new stuff up... not sure if the stuff i have is still growing or healthy... currently battling a cyano out break

phosban reactors on the way
Old 12/14/2007, 10:06 AM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Shnabbles is the chaeto you have tumbling or in high flow? That helps and would keep the cyano off it.(Though cyano anywere in the system "may" absorb some of the nutrients chaeto wants?)

Jon
Old 12/14/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

hey jon is there anything you know of to get rid of cyano, we used the chemi-clean the first time we got it and it went away fine but i think it has built up a resistance. any ideas.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

I live in Downingtown PA and have cheato I'm looking to give away.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:21 PM

Cyano feeds off of Nitrites. Help the tank finish the cycle and you can get rid of of the cyano. Some people say to feed more for a little while to help push the cycle, I'm not sure if I would recommend that. I know cyano hates high flow and needs like to live.

Probably the best way to get rid of it would to be pro-active with brushing it off, siphoning it out, and keeping up with the water changes. I am sure if you search through the threads you can find many other bits of advice that have worked for people.

You know your child will live to see the day where cyano bacteria will cover the natural coral reefs completely. Actually in your life time 90-95% of them will be gone. (my gf told me that was depressing to say, but what ever it is the truth)

Oh and there is also several chemicals out there that can help rid the tank of cyano... I don't really like using chemicals though.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:50 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Along those same lines
http://www.livescience.com/aol/071213-coral-acid.html
Old 12/16/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious

You know your child will live to see the day where cyano bacteria will cover the natural coral reefs completely. Actually in your life time 90-95% of them will be gone. (my gf told me that was depressing to say, but what ever it is the truth)

that is super depressing.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:53 AM

Nah, what is depressing is how little everyone is doing about it. I think the first thing we can do is to look our appliances(washer/drier, dish washer, heating and air conditioning units) and figure out how much electric they use and how much new appliacnces would use. If saving the reefs is not enough to get anyone moving then how about saving on that electric bill? Probably our biggest stamp on the environment is the electricity we use which is provided to us for the most part by releasing a massive amount of CO2 into the atmosphere.

If people want to know more ways they can help(or do less damage then they currently are) all you have to do is send me a message and express interest.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

i only use my diswasher and washer/dryer at night ive heard that helps something i guess. :S