Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Florida Keys collection trip/w permit

Can anybody suggest a good collection area in the Florida Keys off the Overseas Highway #1. I am aware collecting from reserves and state parks is illegal.

I'am going down there in April.

Old 12/12/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I second that thought. I have been wondering myself. Also what can all be found down there? Thanks!

-ben
Old 12/13/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by venom00viper
I second that thought. I have been wondering myself. Also what can all be found down there? Thanks!

-ben
I re-posted this same topic in the Florida, Panhandle club; they seem to have given me more information.

Is there anybody collecting near Lauderdale/Miami?
Old 12/13/2007, 03:08 PM
Tony Montanas electrician

Man find the spot, I am redy wearing my mask and flipers
Old 12/13/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

well I go round here in west palm beach. Lots of cool stuff. Just no time and much less the space at home to keep any of it.

-ben
Old 12/13/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

i was planning a snorkeling trip during my xmas vacation so i too would like to know of a good spot like mile marker # and all that good stuff
Old 12/13/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

This type of thread comes and goes every couple months. The best answers we seem to get are 'there's a good spot around mile marker XXX'...which is a little vague as far as directions go.

It appears that those with good secret spots want to keep them just that, which is completely understandable. I'm sure if they posted a location to find ricordeas/zoos/etc there will be nothing left within a matter of days....

just my .02
Old 12/13/2007, 06:16 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon770
This type of thread comes and goes every couple months. The best answers we seem to get are 'there's a good spot around mile marker XXX'...which is a little vague as far as directions go.

It appears that those with good secret spots want to keep them just that, which is completely understandable. I'm sure if they posted a location to find ricordeas/zoos/etc there will be nothing left within a matter of days....

just my .02
DING DING DING DING!!!!! We have a winner! IF I knew where there was a good spot I would keep it to myself as well. And of course I would like to know where to go too :-)

BTW I am off from 12/24 - 1/2 so if anybody wants company snorkeling I'd be totally into that. Also as an FYI the Marriott in Key Largo is tight!

Chris
Old 12/13/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I am going to be staying at a friends house in big pine key all next week, if I see anything worth collecting I will post it.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Dang...yeah, I snorkel and dive in the Keys but I've only seen the really great stuff in the preserves.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:33 PM
What next???

You have to know where to look...I was at a spot just off a small bridge were the water was at 1ft the lowest and 6-7ft the deepest. There I saw all kinds of stuff...
Tons of local tropical, colorful fish...even gobies. Serpent stars all around, you just have to move a few rocks to find them, hermits, shrimps, brain coral, some type of cocoowrm, hugh starfish. And we saw all this on a bad day the water was murky due to strong current.
But very few... I mean very few will give up thier spots.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:46 PM
tiger eel

Quote:
Originally posted by venom00viper

-ben
I have see many many nice corals most are zoos,brains gorgonias,I took mell to that bridge were he is talking about is not the best place to go but I have see lots of nice corals there I know some other nice places but guys the water is cool right now

inverters like shrimps I have seen even more
Old 12/13/2007, 08:50 PM
What next???

Cubano pm sent...
Old 12/13/2007, 08:55 PM
tiger eel

got it
Old 12/14/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dent2011
I am going to be staying at a friends house in big pine key all next week, if I see anything worth collecting I will post it.
Keep us/me posted on your trip and try to post picture of location, finds and underwater if possible.

Thanks!
Old 12/14/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

There's lots of places down there but you are going to be very limited if you don't have a boat. Some stuff around the bridges(including tasty lobsters) but be careful of the currents (which RIP in and out) and the fishermen. Also make sure you know whats legal to take and whats not. And lastly, if you aren't from Canada make sure to have a full wet suit or you won't last very long in the water.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
There's lots of places down there but you are going to be very limited if you don't have a boat.

How about using a kayak?

Are the currents good for Island or patch reef hopping on a kayak?
Old 12/14/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DiazE
How about using a kayak?

Are the currents good for Island or patch reef hopping on a kayak?
Thats definitely doable . The currents are only real strong around the bridges since this is the only place the tides get to move between the gulf and Atlantic.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Maybe I'll buy a reinforced hull inflatable.