Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

ID plant

So my office tank has grown some cool plant's on it. All three are only on this rick which had no plants on it when I started the tank 8 month's ago.

Thought I share the picture and also see if anyone can Id all of them and if they are bad to my tank.

Sorry to for the bad picture as it was taken with a co-workers point and shoot.

The green one towards the far right is thick and soft to the touch, kind of like fuzzy too.

Middle is red and string like

Left green is like grass but not. LOL

Happy holiday's
Old 12/13/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think these plants are a bad sign. They grew in my tank when I was neglecting it.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Doesn't seem to affect anything. This is a fish only tank though. Well mostly. I have a Panther grouper and a few yellow polups that are growing very well and a few shrooms. They were on the live rock wehn I transfered them from another tank when I start this tank up.

No Skimmer and PC lighting on this tank as well it's in my office. I will have to move it to my new office in a month or so, so we'll see if that changes anything.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:53 PM
NaH2O

The algae on the left I have no clue what it is...some sort of macro-algae growth?

The one in the middle looks like it could be a morph of some sort of turf algae, but don't take my word for it.

I know the growth on the right is a macro-algae known as Codium. Some people call it sponge finger algae, I think. I have a ball of it in my refugium.

And if you look on the faarrrrr right and along the bottom of the picture, you've got yourself some bubble algae

I suppose if these three algaes are growing super fast then there could be a sign of surplus of nutrients in the water they're feeding off of...but that's only my speculation.

I don't think any of the things in your picture are bad exactly, but I would definitely be as proactive as possible and try and impede it's growth before it begins to encroach things... at which point it may be more difficult to combat. Maybe try a couple trochus or turbos. Then again...if you love algae all over your tank...then by all means

Last edited by rhythmicfire; 12/13/2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12/13/2007, 04:26 PM
Byte mechanic

Get rid of the purple stuff as fast as you can! I've had it infest my tank (Mexican turbos MAY eat it). The green on the left doesn't look good either.

My opinion is that you should remove that rock before it spreads. If you want to keep the codium stuff, then take a cutting of it off the rock. Get rid of the bubble algae while it's still under control too.

You really really don't want that purple stuff. (I'm pretty sure it's not "Tang Heaven" either). Speaking of which, if the tank is big enough, a yellow tang might mow them down.

V
Old 12/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

LOL, sorry the middle stuff it red not purple. Yes, I know i have lot's of bubble algea, My panther doesn't seem to mind and he's the only fish in the tank. Was thinking of getting a few LARGE emerald crabs to havest the bubbles, but haven't found any large one locally yet. I need to make sure my Panther won't eat them. He's like a large mouth bass, if it fit's in his mouth then he'll try to eat it.
Old 12/13/2007, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Tang heaven AKA gracilaria is a far cry from codium Not a ton will eat codium
Old 12/13/2007, 05:38 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Not even Large SeaHares or rabbit fishes ???

" Charles V "
Old 12/13/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

macro-algae known as Codium. It's kinda cool looking in my tank, so if that is not bad not worried about it.
Old 12/14/2007, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
Not even Large SeaHares or rabbit fishes ???
Did I say that? I said not a ton will eat it meaning not all animals will, but there are a few amount that will
Old 12/14/2007, 09:41 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I was just wondering if the large 3" + sized seahares or rabbit fishes could do some damage, cause I was going to tell Michael that Chris at AC has some large seahares there for a good price, then once done in his tank, they can be passed around to other reefers whom have algae problems as well.

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

..... Waiting to hear the final word. Thanks Charles
Old 12/14/2007, 01:46 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I was figuring a seahare that large could do major damage to almost any kind of algae.. since I had a seahare that size before that assasinated any type of algae in the tank.. except for a few tiny bubbles that he didnt touch. same as my previous 2 rabbit fishes... Foxface/scribbled or what ever it was

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

the algae on the left looks like bryopsis.