Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking, should I worry about setting up the DIY ATO system now or should I do that last? How much water can really evaporate from my return section?
Old 11/07/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Anyone w/ opinions or advice
Old 11/20/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

you would be surprised on how much can evaporate... I have a 10 gallon sump on my 25 gallon tank and it needs close to a gallon a day... maybe a little less...
Old 11/27/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Update on my tank after a while

I got 15lbs of caribsea agramax select sand and 15lbs of Indo live rock. Right now I'm having it cycle my tank. I like the look so I'm hoping i won't need any more live rock. There are some dead livestock on the sand such as a crab and pods.

I bought a hydor koralia 1 for circulation and still have trouble combatting microbubbles in the DT. They is a small leak around the union after the return pump that might be causing a venturi, yet if I were to seal it up then I wouldn't be able to unscrew it.

I had some pink coralline algae on the live rock but it started bleaching/disappearing. I guess it's due to low calcium levels.

All in all, I like how it looks now and hope for the best during the cycle.

Last edited by Envy07; 11/27/2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful Rock - nice build.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

I also ordered a float switch from aquakit so I'm close to an auto top off setup.

Oh yeah I think to some my pics overall doesn't show a detailed look into my setup, so I'll start taking more pics and good ones for sure. Gotta keep everyone interested and I know how pics are the only way to keep it that way and nothing else.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:06 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Is there a change that the O-ring fell out of the union at some point? None of mine have ever had any leaks to cause mircobubbles, but I have had the O-rings fall out.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Are you sure its leaking...?? I get microbubbles every time I add new equipment or even stick my hand in the tank..
Old 11/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I do see water very slowly coming out of the union and right now i think salt slime kind of reduced it. Still I'm getting bursts of large # of microbubbles every 20 seconds or so. Also I found out that microbubbles are actually going into the return section but I don't know if that's the cause of the sudden bursts of microbubbles at time intervals. ANy thoughts as to why or is it because of the return sucking microbubbles.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:23 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

There should be no water leaking out of the union, either is wasn't screwed on tight enough (( or it got crossed threaded )) or the o-ring is missing. I would shut off the pump and take it apart and check it.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddrtrex
There should be no water leaking out of the union, either is wasn't screwed on tight enough (( or it got crossed threaded )) or the o-ring is missing. I would shut off the pump and take it apart and check it.
I second this... I've also heard you should put vaseline on the o-rings to help them seal.. some people say you shouldn't use vaseline on o-rings since its a petroleum product and can break the rubber down in o-rings overtime.. I have used it on all my aquarium o-rings with no ill effects... not to mention all my other hobbies that use o-rings... good luck and keep us posted...
Old 11/28/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Instead of vaseline, go to a good hardware store and see if they have a good quality silicon grease- it's safer that vaseline if you can find it.

As for the microbubbles, I had a similar problem amy problem was the water entering the sump was falling too far so I set up a second bubble trap. In looking at your sump I see that the water leaving the bubble trap on the return side is falling quite a distance to the pump, this is where I would suspect that you are picking up lots of microbubbles.

BTW- It looks like you are going to have a nice set up
Old 11/28/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by webbstock
Instead of vaseline, go to a good hardware store and see if they have a good quality silicon grease- it's safer that vaseline if you can find it.

As for the microbubbles, I had a similar problem amy problem was the water entering the sump was falling too far so I set up a second bubble trap. In looking at your sump I see that the water leaving the bubble trap on the return side is falling quite a distance to the pump, this is where I would suspect that you are picking up lots of microbubbles.

BTW- It looks like you are going to have a nice set up
There we go.. couldn't remember the name other stuff...
Old 11/28/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

They also make a PVC glue for wet applications. I don't know what it would do to any livestock though. Just another option for you.
Old 11/28/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

If I use PVC glue around the union, I wouldnt be able to it.

I feel more convinced the microbubbles are coming from the return section but I don't understand why I get sudden bursts of the bubbles at a time interval.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

I would assume the bursts are from small amounts of air coming in and form a larger bubble.. once the bubble is large enough it is pushes out through with the return water... just a thought...
Old 11/29/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

I'll check into the bubble issue..

Also another question...I heard it's better to raise the live rock above the substrate so that detritus doesn't accumulate underneath the rock where the cleanup crew might not be able to get to. But also heard that it's better to have it in the substrate so that the rock won't topple over. Any thoughts in this?
Old 11/29/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I've never lifted my rock off the substrate before... I've read this before too.. I can only support setting it on the substrate...
Old 12/12/2007, 08:27 PM
Moved On

If you're tired of paying Big Al's prices, check out mops.ca, I've ordered lots from them and the shipping through Canada Post is dirt cheap. Pretty good prices as well, check it out!