Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

mushroom cutting

I have an unruly mushroom with a long "stalk" that is reaching out and stinging coral, if i take a pair of scissors and cut this bad boy off, will it release anything bad into my water thatll mess other stuff up?
thanks,
Mike
Old 12/12/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

all mushrooms release nasty slime and some toxins when cut, activated carbon and protein skimming should take it out.
Old 12/12/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

what mushies are they???

ric's are the worst

most other mushies dont release anything that the skimmer cant handle or that will harm anything else to a vast extent
Old 12/12/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

i have a 29g bio cube with a filter floss filter and live rock rubble....so i dont have much to get rid of toxins....i dont want to kill anything while trying to SAVE stuff!!
Old 12/12/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

just snip it off and take it out off the tank and put iy in a bowl with some tank water.

you can then chop the head into 2 peices.... but make sure you get a peice of the mouth in each peise

put it in a small pot in your tank with some rubble and you will have 2 frags for swaps

in time the foot will grow a new head and vise versa with the other

i can see it hurting anything????

ive never had any problems just try to do most off your fraging out of the tank

joe
Old 12/12/2007, 10:13 PM
Mushroom King

Never heard of shrooms being that nasty but there is a first for everying. you got a 30 gallon correct ?? if so just snipp in off the shroom alittle below the "bell" and the foot should regrow into a new shroom and do as the others have said about placing it in some rubble and it will attach sooner or later. with one shroom and a tank that size I't won't harm anything. WEAR GLOVES !!!!! the toxins will mess you up if you come in contact with enough. You want more deatils on fraging and what not PM and I'll tell you how do all my frags. If you want to get rid of the shroom chop the rock out from under his foot and remove him and give him away ro place him where he won't sting anything. Good Luck

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid