Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

MMM, could you post a few more pics of your anemone? I was just looking at the pic you posted yesterday and it looks kinda like a BTA, which would mean it doesn't want to be in the sand at all, but instead in the live rock. LTA's have a red base usually--even when they are bleached. Does yours? Before putting it in a sand box, post some more pics and let us make sure we are advising you correctly. If that happens to be a BTA, it's not going to appreaciate having its base buried.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:50 PM
Lazy reefer

Post a picture of the column, this would clarify the question of BTA vs. LTA. I agree with Gary that it may be a BTA from the picture.
Old 12/12/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
its foot is still a nice red color with some tan....
still think its a bta?
Old 12/12/2007, 04:57 PM
Lazy reefer

If it is a LTA its foot should be red on the bottom and turn to tan on top with white ver. spots on top.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I'll try to get a pic later tonight as soon as my battery charges up enough.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I have these 2 pics, but like I said, my battery needs to charge, then i can try to get one of the base when its closed up.

Can you tell if those are indeed true percs from the pictures or no?
Old 12/13/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the pics, but I'll tell you, it looks as much like a BTA to me as an LTA. A pic of the column would be helpful, if possible. How is it doing, btw?

And as far as your ocellaris vs. percula question, I'll leave that to someone who is more expert in the matter--I'd say ocellaris myself, but I don't claim to be great at differentiating the two unless it is clearly a perc.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Its doing pretty good. Still the same color- white with greenish tips. It was sold to me as a LTA, although, the tips do sometimes have slight bulge to them similar to a candle flame shape, which to me brought up the question as to whether or not it was really a LTA. It hasn't moved from its spot thats pictured in a few days now. Well it moved partially from there for about an hour then moved right back to where it is. Seems to be doing good though. Doesn't get a tremendous amount of light, but I feed it whenever possible and it still hasn't moved yet. I'll try to get a picture of the base in a little bit. It usually only closes up for about an hour or two a day when the actinic lights first click on.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like it is acclimating. In the position it is, I would also lean toward BTa, since LTA's prefer to have their column buried in the sand.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:54 PM
Lazy reefer

The fish are A. ocellaris.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OrionN
The fish are A. ocellaris.
How can you tell?
Old 12/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Heres when it's closed up:
Old 12/14/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

That is a BTA you have there. No wonder it wasn't digging in to the sand. Glad you didn't try our suggestions to bury it in sand when you were calling it an LTA. BTA's like what it's attached to in the last pic--live rock. Often times they will wander a little until they find a cave/crevice. Let it do that on it's own. It may be perfectly happy right where it is now, I just find that mine seem to prefer a little cave or overhang to position themselves in.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:39 PM
Lazy reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by MMM33732
How can you tell?
When you see enough of them you can just tell. Your fish have no A. percula characteristic what so ever. It just very typical Ocellais without anything that would cause me to question that ID.
You do not have a M. doreensis, which is what most people mean when they say LTA. You do have what look like E. quadricolor which is commonly know as BTA. It does not dwell in the sand but moving up in the rocks.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Huh.. I got ripped of then! Ohh well. So its a BTA then... So then I take it its not bleached? Do you have a picture of a LTA so I can further understand the difference? Every picture I found ended up looking like what I have.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Oh yes it is still bleached.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I found these pics on the net.. I think its a good picture of a LTA ..I would have taken a picture of mine but the tank lights are off.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Wow, looks much different than what I found. Does look like mine though except the tentacles aren't curly.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

LTA's (Macrodactyla doreensis) have a distinct column. The pics provided are excellent for showing the characteristic LTA look. And yeah, it's still bleached, but again, with your lighting and regular small feedings, you will see it regain it's color I expect. BTA's are the hardiest of the host anemones. Ideally, you will not mix it with other anemones. If you feed it and provide good conditions you can expect the anemone to get quite large and eventually (or not so eventually) clone. BTA's are host to several more species of clown fish than LTA's. It might be a good thing that you got a BTA. They are the best of the host anemones to start off with.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Well thats good news. I though that BTAs had more and a bubble appearance to their tentacles. Mine had a slight candle flame shape for about a day. Other than that one day, its always been just smooth tubular shaped tentacles.

Its a good size right now. when out in the open and not in between rocks and fully expanded, its roughly 6.5-7" or so.

It seems to like its spot now down on the sand/tower bases. Still hasn't moved. You can see its foot is on the rocks, and not on the sand at all. However, as mentioned earlier, it doest get tremendous light were its at. Could this be problematic or will the feedings supplement any light the towers are blocking? Id hate to clue all the corals back on the towers and have it climb up again soon.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

You have two 175 watt MH on a 55-gallon tank, don't be concerned about your anemone not getting enough light. It will extend out from the rock to satisfy its needs for light. And, as far as the bulb shape to the tentacles, those come and go. There are different theories as to what causes them to bulb. I've noticed among mine that one might have bulbs and the next one straight tentacles, even though they are clones and are feed the same time and get the same lighting and water flow. One thing is generally accepted, that is that a BTA can be healthy and happy whether it has bulbs or not.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:28 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Exactly, mine BTA never had bulb tips, and it was happy and healthy for over 6 years -- recently sold it.

Until yours regains it color try to feed it more often, but small pieces -- it takes energy to eat too, so large pieces would add to its stress.