Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

OT: Roofers. I want to reroof

Totally off topic other than the fact that I want to re-roof before getting Solar Panels to deal with my Reef-inflated electricity bill.

So I called one place to come out to day and they didn't show. Got a couple of places coming out next week but pretty much picked at random so I thought I'd see if someone here had a recommendation. I just want a standard composite roof and soon and inexpensive naturally.

Much appreciated

-Adrian
Old 12/08/2007, 06:55 PM
Resident physicist.

Only recommendation I can make is don't go with the cheapest bid, sure you want inexpensive, but if you have to replace the roof sooner than you think, then your cheapest bid became the highest.

It is winter, the "rainy season" so roofers now will have plenty of options, so do expect to get "blown off" by some roofers. If it can wait, I'd say wait until summer time, then you'll have some more sway with them. Also they're much less willing to give you a good price when they have plenty of work.

Ask questions to the guy, like who will be doing the work, who will be on site from the minute it's started to the minute the roof is finished. I have nothing against unlicensed laborers (most any labor intensive job uses day-laborers) but make sure the guy who's doing the work knows what the hell they're doing and it's not just some "contractor" (which today I guess means anyone who has a pickup truck) swings by home depot ask who knows how to do roofs, and gets you a few "roofers" to do your job. Make sure that roofer you call will be the one doing the work, and they don't subcontract out to their buddies to do it.

If your roof isn't in dire needs, absolutely get a ton of bids. That should give you an idea of what it should cost, ditch any bids that are way outside the average whether too low or too high.

Shingled roofs are probably the easiest DIY type of roofs out there, but take it from me, it's still hard work that will hurt your back , and unless you have the tools to go quickly (hammers work fine, but pnumatic nailers are the way to go) make sure you don't have a half finished roof when it starts raining again (which it should soon!)
Old 12/08/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you taking the time to type all that in.

I deliberately stated inexpensive rather than cheap. I don't want to wait until Summer but I'll definitely not rush this given the expense involved.

I think my roof has a couple of years in it but I don't want to have to take off panels in two years and then re-roof the house. Also, It's considerably cheaper to install solar panels on simpler composite roofing than on wood shakes.

DIY isn't going to happen, I have to be real careful with my back.

Kind of annoyed I couldn't at least start the bidding today. The first guy I called today to line up some more bids was someone in the YP who has the phrase "we answer the phone" in his Ad. And he did answer the phone.

-Adrian
Old 12/08/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

My friend's father use to run his own roofing business until he retired. From what I was told, prices for roof repair/replacement can be 2X as much during the rainy season as it is in the summer. All the roofers are starving for business during the summer so they will be more competetive with their pricing. Maybe you should hold off until summer time if you can.

Elos 70 (30"x22.5"x20)

Semi-Cube (36"36"x24" old setup)

DIY Stand Build Thread
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1207997
Old 12/09/2007, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

Also, if you are going to install solar panels then have them work with the roofers to install the stanchions before the roofers lay the shingles. That way you don't void the roofing warranty (which installing solar panels after the fact can do, from what I was told).
Old 12/09/2007, 03:13 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

Adrian. I have a friend who works for a large company. I can have him give you a call for a bid if you want. Pm me if your interested.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

I used Los Gatos Roofing and was very happy. I subscribe to Bay Area Consumers Checkbook which is like a local non profit consumers digest. Highest rated San Jose roofers:
Conrad Roofing 294-7615
Los Gatos Roofing 298-9399
R E Roofing and Construction 626-9320
Wagner Roofing 777-8331
All 4 are highly rated but Conrad and Los Gatos have 0 BBB complaints. Wagner has 2 and RE has 1. The ratings are based on quality and service level as it is hard to compare prices since the jobs vary quite a bit.
Old 12/10/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Everyone. I might well hold back on when I get it done or at least be very flexible. I know a few folks who got roofs done in the summer, if the prices don't gel with what they paid, I'll have a good idea that I'm getting hosed.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

not sure about roofs, but I would do a same. this is what I did when I tried to replace flooring. go and choose the materials that you like, ask for a quote. Then later you can tell the contractors that you have been shopped around and this is what you want for your roofs. sometime, contractors know that you are awared of cost of materials, they won't BS you that much.

my 2 cents.
Old 12/10/2007, 05:27 PM
Lap San

how long does the roof last after it's reroof?thanks

lapsan
Old 12/11/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orientalexpress
how long does the roof last after it's reroof?thanks

lapsan
The two people who have come round so far have shown me stuff from one company.... they have 4 different lines... 20 ,30 and 40 year warranties and then one called presidential that has a 50 year warranty. Of course according to the 'steel roof' literature I read, those time-lines are bogus.... of course the people who put in the composite point out that you can't walk on the steel roof and I know there is a nice 3500 increase on your solar install bill if you go with Tiles or Steel.

I like the look of Presidential and there isn't that much difference between all the prices anyway. I hope to be dead by the time my roof needs replacement.