Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Tube anemone

1. How much flow for the tube anemone, Cerianthus, in terms of tentacles movement?
a - Slightly moving tips,
b - looks asymmetrical: one side fully extended, and another - tend to move in the same direction, over short tentacles.
c - slightly curl in turbulent flow, but without tangling.

2. Does it really requires 72-75F temperature, with several months in the winter at 68F?

3. What size of food:
a - baby brine and rotifers;
b - mysis,
c - pacific plankton (4x of mysis)
d - pieces of shrimp - what size and how much?

4. Damaged one: no tube at all, the soft, but thick sheath is torn off, pinkish body is exposed, but looks healthy. Had to cut away the dying tissue (sheath), and put the body into plastic tube with finest sand.

What else can be done? Should the sand be washed periodically to avoid rot inside the tube, under the sand?

Any information for keeping it alive will be appreciated.

Yesterday purchase, surgery was in the evening, next morning photos, 5.5" from the center to the end of tentacles, adult percula for comparison:

Now it is in the slightly stronger flow (grade b on my scale) in opposite part of the tank - more space.
Had to cut flow to 1300 gph for 90g tank, and suspecting, that other corals, accustomed to at least 650 gph more, will not like it.

Is there any way to meet the tube anemone requirements without affecting other corals (flow and temperature, I mean).

Was open all the day, BTW.

Thank you.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I've had some tube anemones for about a year and a half now.

Mine seem to prefer low currents ("a" on your scale). I had them under higher currents for a while and they didn't to like it. They didn't fully expand, and starting shrinking in size over a couple of months. Since your corals need higher flow, try picking a sheltered spot in your aquarium where the flow is lower.

I keep my tube anemones at 80-82F degrees year round. I suspect the 72-75F requirement is for cooler water species, which are probably not sold at most fish stores.

I feed my tube anemones brine shrimp and small pellet food.

Regarding your anemone without the tube/sheath, it will probably be fine if you bury the base of the anemone in the sand (the anemone looks healthy in your picture - and I like the color). Feed the anemone a little extra so it will have some extra energy to rebuld the tube/sheath. I've had this happen a couple times when moving the anemones, and they recovered quickly.

The tube is a by-product of the anemone and is not live tissue. No need to wash the sand or anything like that.

Hope this helps!
Old 12/10/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Thank you, very informative!