Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

New zoanthids pics

Here is a new zoanthid colony i got at my LFS for a pretty sweet deal. This pic was taken 5 minutes after been introduced into the tank...polyps still opening. It is currently on the sandbed acclimating to the new light but once its acclimated i'll move it up on the rockwork. One question i have is how do you make it so that the zoantids will propagate onto your rockwork?

Thanks!!
Old 12/04/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Just place it on top of the rock you want them to grow on to, over time they should spread onto it or frag a few polyps and attach it to a rock.
Old 12/04/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio101
Just place it on top of the rock you want them to grow on to, over time they should spread onto it or frag a few polyps and attach it to a rock.
I got aquascape epoxy. I dont like this stuff because it will usually either stick completely onto the rock or coral and not both together. What can I use to keep it from moving? I want to keep it on a slope
Old 12/05/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

depends on what you are looking to do... super glue gel works well for attaching corals to rocks and epoxy is better for attaching a rock to another rock
Old 12/05/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

i recommend superglue...I usually pull the rock out if i can that i want to attach stray zoos to. (Note: if you pull the rock out to superglue, please put a few drops of water over where the super glue is to keep it from bubbling. this will put the skin on the glue for you before it goes into the water).

If it's a rock to rock attachement I use Locktite 5 min appox sticks and cut to what i need and mix, if it get's sticky get a little water from the tank on your hands and mix that way. Much easier to use.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

i will try your ideas and will see how it goes..thanks everyone
Old 12/07/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Personally, mainly because I plan on fragging zoos at some point, I frag the colony onto a shell or something to leave in tank, and to allow them to spread, and I keep the "mother colony" seperate
Old 12/08/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Looks great. Can I ask how much they cost you?
Old 12/08/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic99
Looks great. Can I ask how much they cost you?
$35
Old 12/08/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DivaMan
Personally, mainly because I plan on fragging zoos at some point, I frag the colony onto a shell or something to leave in tank, and to allow them to spread, and I keep the "mother colony" seperate
I have never fragged zoantids...kinda scared of them but If i frag it, it will be hard to get all of the 5 morphs on one frag.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Its not hard at all, just waer glasses, safety goggles or better yet a face mask, have gloves, and have a new or sharpened scalpel or razor on hand. Surgical scissors help with getting single polyp frags.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

know any good website that shows how to frag zoanthids step by step with visuals?
Old 12/09/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

This article is pretty good.

http://www.zoaid.com/articles003.php
Old 12/09/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

oh wow..this is sweet...i love you otiso777!!