Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

good fish for cycling

If damsels are such pains in the butt when they get well established, what is a decent fish that will stand up to cycling? How but chromis, they are cheap and not bad looking, will they be as agressive? Thanks,
Old 12/07/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

get a marine betta there expensive but hard to kill
Old 12/07/2007, 11:23 PM
RC Mod

I wouldn't put any fish in the tank to cycle it. That's not necessary, and any fish can bring diseases with it. Just add the live rock and wait. For systems with only base rock, a tiny bit of fish food should do the job.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Please dont use fish for cycling. Its not needed. Just get the LR and SB some powerheads and let it cycle. Whene readings drop and level you ready to come back and thread" cycle over now what".
Restricting amount of main lights during cycle helps reduce algea blooms.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

i thought you had to have something in there for the cycle to start, i would like to see something in there besides rock if possible.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Is it LR. Any LS. If all you have is base rock and base sand then a few tablespoons of LS or some rubble rock will get it going.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

You have 6 years experience in reef keeping?

You don't need anything in the tank to start a cycle besides a source of ammonia. Good quality live rock or a dead shrimp will give you all the ammonia you need to start a cycle. For my 200 Gal tank I used 2 mashed fresh shrimp from the store sans shells.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

hey I have had some years in the reef area but it has been a long time and I have not kept up on the new stuff. I alsways cycled with fish before, thats all i was saying. I will be adding ls to the live rock in this 120 gal.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

a few pellets/flakes of fish food every day or so will provide all the ammonia you need for the cycle (as long as you have live sand and/or live rock). Don't use a fish, no point in stressing a damsel out like that and afterwards, you probably won't want him in there anyways...

Loving a hobby where there are few absolute right answers, many ways of doing things, a lot of good advice and, after all's said and done, a few ppm can cost you a whole lotta dough!!
Old 12/07/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info, i think it used to take 2-3 weeks for a cycle time, hell in a fish and lr tank, no corals, I used a zebra moray eel to cycle and he came through like a champ and had no signs of any stress at all. You know how it is when you want stuff in there to enjoy.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

yea been there...that's the only thing that needs training in this hobby is patience. I know we're all guilty of wanting to rush. I've fell behind and have had my 55 up with 60lbs of live rock and my fish are in my QT right now for another two weeks (already been 4). That big tank is looking mighty empty but it will be worth the wait. waiting is the right move...good luck.

Loving a hobby where there are few absolute right answers, many ways of doing things, a lot of good advice and, after all's said and done, a few ppm can cost you a whole lotta dough!!