Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

most wanted zoanthids?

O.K. guys, I want to know what the most wanted zoa's/paly's are.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12/02/2007, 06:18 PM
Team RC Member

I think the most wanted ones are the ones that have the most eye appeal to each individual reefer. I'm not into the names and I collect zoanthids and palythoas that I can see and enjoy 10 to 15 feet away from the tank with different, odd or radiant coloration. I stay away from anything that you have to press your face against the glass or take a macro shot to see and enjoy.

Mucho
Old 12/02/2007, 06:22 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

What ever fancy's your eye... its a personal choice.. 1 you like might not fancy someone else's eye. and price range they would pay for it.

" Charles V "
Old 12/02/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

If you go by price I would say PPE, RPE and true blue zoas.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

It really does depend on the person. I have AOG's which seem to be popular but they're just ok to me. I really like Armageddons and I have been desperately searching for Mohawks/Variable stars.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:36 PM
Team RC Member

It's just my own personal opinion and I am in no way trying to start anything here. When someone limits themselves to what is named, popular, readily available, they are limiting the full scope of their collection. I have watched reefers stand in line at a LFS and each of them purchased a frag of something with a name in one tank because it was popular. Yet I continually go to the other tanks with no names in LFS, and this is where I have found some of the rarest, most stunning hidden treasures when it comes to palys and zoas. This is how I found and picked up a colony, not a frag, a colony of 30 of the biggest, bluest, most stunning palys I have ever seen. They had been sitting there for over a week, they didn't have a name so no one bothered to take a closer look or even inquire. I showed them to a visiting Physician and collector and he offered me an enormous amount of money for just one polyp. You will never believe what that amount was, but it was off the charts. Obviously I declined, nothing is worth that much.

If everyone collects the same thing, all you will have is a duplication of reefer A, B and C's tank. Reefing to me is an individual expression and not a duplication of that expression.

In short, and maybe it sounds like a contradiction, if you like it, buy it, but not because everyone else has it. That's what makes this hobby so enjoyable I think.

Mucho Reef

Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 12/02/2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

mucho,

Can we see a pic of this blue paly?

I totally agree w/ you about the whole naming thing.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 12/02/2007, 08:44 PM
Team RC Member

I don't have a digital camera. I really need to invest in one soon. I haven't posted new pics in years.

Mucho Reef
Old 12/02/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

i second mucho's comments on all accounts...

personally i love anything blue, purple, red, orange, or yellow...and i guess florescent greens too..and any combination there of...
Old 12/03/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member.

Mucho,

I agree totally. I like'm all...except the buttons! There are truly some crazy colorations out there. Mucho you gotta get some pics of THE tank. Are you just being Lazy? LOL
Old 12/03/2007, 09:12 AM
Team RC Member

Dustin, how's it going my friend? Been trying to reach you for weeks via email. Are you avoiding me, LOL.

Yes, very lazy, it's been a very busy year and I really need to get out and pick up a new digi. Hopefully for Christmas.

Mucho Reef
Old 12/05/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

PPE, Nuclear Greens, Tubs blue,.....
Old 12/05/2007, 07:51 PM
Team RC Member

One of my most wanted was found today. It's green speckle with medium green color. It wasn't really something I was looking for, it was just stunning as it caught my eye. Hunting for named zoas is just as fun and exciting.

Mucho Reef
Old 12/07/2007, 03:47 PM
King of the white corals

some of my favorites surely arent worth the most money.

Its kind of funny, I seriously dont get the PPE thing. I have some becasue im a collector and want some of everything, but the fact that they are in the top 5 in monetary value per poly in my tank, its humorous to me that they arent even in the top 25 of the nicest IMO.

I really like ones that are not only brilliant, but that are on the odd side. If you can find a morph that not only has the WOW factor in color, but also has the qualtiy of every poly being different than the polyps next to it,........those are my favorites
Old 12/07/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I like the Nuclear Greens and PHE!
Old 12/07/2007, 06:10 PM
Unregistered Member

My Eagle eyes are my "Camry" of my zoanthids. Very dependable and very nice to look at. I have plenty of ployps that have never been named-I buy what looks good and not what the current polyp trend is. good luck
Old 12/07/2007, 06:46 PM
I can spell you cant READ

I like the ones that no one likes
Old 12/07/2007, 06:55 PM
My tank is too full

I have had my eyes on some armegeddons and red wines of late.

To thine own self be true
Old 12/07/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

My favorite is a colony of brown zoas, but when you tilt youre head at just the right angle, they light up with bands of blue and green.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

i don't get into the names that much..but some of favs are these carribean zoas that i got..i got the frag for like $5 and they are so nice..but the store i go to i try to look back away from where all the ones that sells like hotcakes are at and just like mucho i find some of the best looking ones in the store
Old 12/08/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

I'm with Mucho. What a polyp looks like and what a 12 inch colony looks like are two different things.

I have some that are stunning pink up close but as a colony from 15 feet away they look dull grey.

I have some oranges that are unremarkable up close but from 15 feet away they look hunter orange.

Once your rocks are all covered...you don't really notice the fancy details because the large masses of color blending in and out of each other is so overwhelming.

I do wish I had some nuclear greens though.

BTW...my tubb's blues don't show up real well from a distance.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I asked the same question in the sps forum about sps corals and recieved tons of replies on specific corals. It's interesting to see the difference with zoanthid lovers. Most do not seem consumed by the hype.

Greg
Old 12/08/2007, 12:35 PM
Team RC Member

I don't know if they are consumed by the hype, some are, but a lot of reefers enjoy the names, and that is fine. I don't want anyone to feel that they can't voice if they like names or not. We can't all always agree, and that is fine too, as long as we can stay civil and respect each others opinions. I have seen so many newbies get caught up with trying to match their collections with someone who's been reefing for many many years, only to be face with some detrimental issues that resulted in a great monetary loss. I always advise to just go slow and take your time. Buy what pleases you and never try to keep up with the Jones.

I have witnessed those who jumped in much too quick and had to leave the hobby as a result of some grave mistakes. I guess I just don't want to lose the fun and innocence of the hobby is all.

Just my opinion only.

Mooch
Old 12/08/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

i like whatever flyguy has