Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

I was considering large snails and crabs, but would that work? I wanted to have some shrimp and stars as well. I love the interaction of cleaner shrimp and brittle stars eat detris and other bad things in the aquarium. Another LFS just got in a 6-7" Queen and a 6-7" Emperor angels, I am seriously considering!!! They are bigger then my passer, but I don't know how they will react. Think I have a better chance with a Pomacanthus genus since the passer is a Holocanthus? So go for the Emperor, but the Queen and Emperor are my favorite, especially after having two before that were the best of buds, wish I could get them back now that I have a bigger tank.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I had a 12" Emporor in the same 300 gallon system with a 7" Passer for over two years. Never had any problems between the two, but I guess that could always have changed when the Passer got larger.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Nice, whats in your 600g? Sounds sweet, have any pics? Were those the only two large angels you had? My passer is about 5-5.5", I'd like to add the 6-7" Emperor and Queen angels my LFS has. Those are my top 3 fav angels. I am worried about mixing two holocanthus species together (passer and queen) and also the emperor angels usually like to be top dog. I am not sure how aggressive my passer is since he's the only fish in his QT/holding tank. Every fish is different, so you never know until you try. Whenever I do end up trying to add another angel, I will rearrange the rock on the passer and eggcrate the angels off. Hopefully they can get used to each other without hurting one another. I need to add some damsels in as well to reduce stress between the angels and eat the little scraps the big fish leave behind.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I am down to one angel at this time. I had an Emporor, Passer, Annularis, Blue-masked, Six-bar, Flag-Fin in the 300 gallon but lost them when a bulkhead in the 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank they were living in during set-up of the 600 broke

Now I have just an Adult Chrysurus angel with plans for another Emp, Queen, Blue-line angel. Along with all the tangs.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that, stuff like that always happens when your never home. How did all the angels get along? What sizes and also what tangs? I am doing something very similar to your set up. I'd like a passer, emperor, queen angels in my 360g. I'd love to add another pomocanthus angel like a blueface, French or bluering. As far tangs go, I'd like a dussumieri, red sea salfin, sohal, purple and chocolate. Also will have a few filler fish like damsels, gobies, blennies, maybe anthias.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

All the angels got along (I forgot, I also had a French). They ranged anywhere from 7" to 12" I kept them well fed, lots of Nori.

I have a Dussumieri, Sohal, Vlimangi, Purple, Blue Hippo, Yellow-bellied blue hippo, Royal Gramma, Chrysurus Angel, and Orange spot goby currently. I have quite a long wish list of Angels and Tangs.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like a nice fish list. Glad to hear all the fish got along. What other tangs are you planning on adding? I plan to keep them well fed as well. I just have to worry about keeping up with skimming. I can't go crazy with a skimmer, and need to keep the electric bill down. I think I will try adding a queen and emperor, hopefully all goes well, if not, I have new homes for them lined up. Any suggestions on how to introduce all the fish? I plan on moving the rock around to disturb the passer, and dividing the tank into sections with eggcrate. Let them get used to each other, then when I take the eggcrate out (if they are good with each other) maybe have the lights off that day. Then see how it goes from there. I definitely want them to have their own section of the tank, and see how the interact with each other, without action touching each other.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Osmotic Shock
I really never thought about them. Any good for cleaning up?
i have a porcupine puffer, sunset wrasse and harlequin tusk and they don't/can't mess with queen conchs or tiger cowries. they however have eaten all my snails and a peppermint shrimp.

but regardless of how many cleaners you will have to clean the front at least once a week, at least from my experience
Old 12/07/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I guess those would work. I would also like cleaner shrimp and maybe a brittle star. I know cleaner shrimp are a hit or miss with triggers/puffers/wrasses. I'd love to get a clown trigger, harlequin tusk, and some sort of dogface puffer. I still would like to add a couple more angels, well see when the time comes.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Hey Shrimp how's he doing? Eating like a champ?
Old 12/07/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, he's a pig! I missed having another big angel around, until I saw him poo! I need to get my 110 set up, as a BB, so I can syphon out all that crap! I am still debating whether or not to try and add another angel or two. I found a slightly bigger queen and emperor angels for sale at a LFS. I am also debating to go with a clown trigger, wrasse and dogface puffer. It's still all up in the air, but the the 360g isn't anywhere near being set up yet, so I still have time. Are you going to try and other angels with your passer when you get your big tank setup?
Old 12/07/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

No I don't think so. Once I start working on it I'll get a stock list that should work together, the one angel, bunch of tangs,wrasse probably, maybe a less agressive trigger.

The thought mixing a few angels and then having to get one out of a 300 + gallon tank with 300 lb live rock makes me cringe!
Old 12/07/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

My idea, was to seperate the tank with eggcrate, so the angels go used to each other. If they never did, then it would be a lot easier getting the fish out. Just an idea, I love angels, and would hate to have a big tank with only one in it, even if it is a passer, queen and emperor's are my favorites, then passer, blueface. I'm hoping three will do the trick, if there was two, I could see them fighting, even though my emperor and queen were attached at the fin. Hopefully odd numbers, introduced at the same time, will be ok.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:29 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Any new pics, DPS?

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/08/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Of the 360 or the passer? The 360 is staying put for quite sometime, I've been busy with finals, selling my bike and fixing my car. The passer is still in the 75g holding tank at my apt. Sometime this month I'll get the 110g setup for him at my rents house, I'm still working on them letting me put up the 360. I could snap a few pics of the passer in a tank with live rock and sand, but nothing new. I want to get a new fish or two when I go to add him to the 110, then I'll definetly take some new pics. How's your baby doing and her pond coming along?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:39 PM
Keeper of Sharks

The Passer.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/08/2007, 03:40 PM
Keeper of Sharks

The little one is doing good. Her pond should begin sometime after Christmas.

Old 12/09/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Can't wait to see progress on the pond! I tried taking new pics of the passer, but he moves around so fast, I got to get a better camera, the iPhone sucks. I should be setting up the 110g this coming weekend, after finals are over. I am getting my brother purple tang as well, it's pretty aggressive, we'll see how it goes. It is only 4" and recovering from major HLLE.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:18 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Here's some more pics:

This one kinda sucks because I didn't use flash...

Old 12/10/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Looks like she is getting bigger! So I hear you are tossing the idea around about turning your pond into an angel/tang tank? You could have a pretty cool tank with that! But what would you do with the shark? Also, what happens when you go to college? Does your family like SW tanks as much as you do?

Here's a crappy pic (iphone camera sucks) that shows off the Passer's colors, he looks amazing under better lighting. It's hard to get him to sit still, he comes right up to me at the front of the tank, but just paces back in forth, waiting for food.

Old 12/11/2007, 07:41 AM
Keeper of Sharks

Yeah, either the shark pond or a big angel/tang tank (around 240-300g). Right now, I'm leaning towards the pond. But who knows??

Wow, you can really see his true colors in that pic!

Old 12/11/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Why wouldn't you do the shark pond, but instead have it an angel/tang pond? Getting a 300g tank is going to be probably more money then a 1100g pond. Your using a pond liner right?
Yeah, the passer has some really nice colors. I really want to try and get another emperor too, have him go thru the color changes, I'd love a queen and blue face too. All depends on how the passer's aggression is, hopefully in the 360g, it won't be too bad.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:41 AM
Keeper of Sharks

Good idea. I'll go ahead and do the pond, then figure out what the hell I want to do.

Old 12/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

The only problem with the pond, is you can only view from the top of the water, don't get as good of view. In a 1100g pond though, the possibilities are practically endless! What would your stocking list be like? What about making a plywood tank instead? That's what I want to do eventually. A huge plywood tank inwall.
Old 12/12/2007, 08:58 PM
Keeper of Sharks

As long as you don't have enough water flow towards the top of the water column, the view is clear, as the water won't ripple.

As for stocking, here ya go:

Shark Pond:
1 - Female Brownbanded Bamboo *
1 - Male Brownbanded Bamboo
1 - Female Yellow Ray
1 - Goldentail Moray Eel
1 - Dussimer Tang
1 - Hippo Tang *
1 - Desjardini Sailfin tang
1 - Orangeshoulder Tang
1 - Vlamingii Tang
5 - Yellow Tangs
1 - Aussie Harlequin Tusk
1 - Red Coris Wrasse
1 - Onespot Rabbitfish

* - I already have

I'm aware thats quite a fish list, but knowing me, I'll probably forget about a few and maybe add more.

Aggressive FOWLR Pond:
1 - Passer Angel
1 - Emperor Angel
1 - Queen Angel
1 - Blueface Angel
1 - Asfur Angel
1 - Sohal Tang
1 - Dussimer Tang
1 - Purple Tang
1 - Vlamingii Tang
1 - Niger Trigger
1 - Clown Trigger
2 - Saddleback Butterfly
1 - Auriga Butterfly

And, just like the Shark Pond, I'll make a few changes here and there.

BTW, both of these lists are just off the top of my mind and are far away from becoming reality.