Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Can someone ID this Algae for me?

Its decided to try and invade my Zoas. They are in a 34 gallon tank so a tang is not an option. I'm hoping there is something else that will eat them?
I have pulled many off the rock and they dont explode like bubble algae rather they look and feel like pills.

Thanks!

Old 11/21/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Difficult to say from that picture, but looks like Neomeris

/Magnus
Old 11/21/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, I did some more digging on the web and that is indeed the culprit. Any known way to get it removed naturally or is manual removal the only way?
Old 11/23/2007, 09:21 AM
Reefer Maniac

it is Neomeris, but why remove it? It does not spread too fast, and it won't take over or anything, ...

Last edited by skeeter-doc; 11/23/2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

On the back side of that rock it's actually sreading pretty darn quickly. I'll just pick them off with tweazers when they get out of line. I'm just glad to hear it wasn't some form of bubble algae.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:37 AM
Reefer Maniac

oh, huh, whenever I have had it, it never seemed to spread too much, but it does eventually break apart and fall off, after it grows awhile and gets all white
Old 11/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skeeter-doc
oh, huh, whenever I have had it, it never seemed to spread too much, but it does eventually break apart and fall off, after it grows awhile and gets all white
That is also my experience (and most other I know), but there have been some horror-stories of them taking over a tank. There was a thread not too long ago with some crazy pictures, so I guess it can happen!?

/Magnus
Old 12/03/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Skeeter, I beg to differ. It can and will take over, sometimes.

I ended up tearing this whole thing down, got rid of everything in it, bleached it with 1lb of pool shock for 24 hours and put all new rock in it. Within 8 weeks it started back, pretty much all over all different rock from a different tank which the owner NEVER had any neomeris (AKA; Green Penis Weed) in it. It was taking over again just like before. However, I think I stumbled onto a partial cure at least. My skimmer broke so it was off-line for a few weeks. I noticed the growth was slowing. I started feeding what I would consider pretty heavily just to see what happened. After feeding about 5-6 times a day, flake, frozen, cyclopeze, nori, for a few more weeks it started to turn white and crumble. Last week I manually removed as much as I could of whats left and we'll have to see what happens long term. I still am not running a skimmer or any othe filtration, just recyling wate thru the sump. It seems to like very clean water and will exist on next to no nutrients. It is not particular about lighting either. It thrived inches from a 250MH as well as in the darkest corners of the sump. It subsisted in a sump I disconnected from the tank flow and shut off the lights for about 3 months with just ambient light in the basement. When I first fought it I even ran a 40W UV sterilizer 24/7 doing 100 gallon water changes, dosed vodka, starved the tank for weeks etc and the cleaner the tank, the more it grew. I always sugest removing it when you see it, now.
Old 12/04/2007, 02:50 PM
Reefer Maniac

yes Robbie, we have all seen the pics and heard the story, but I do believe your case was an isolated one, as I have had Neomaris in many tanks and never once did I have more than say, 12 shoots alive at once.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Isolated or not, it's way easier to pull out a few sprigs than to wait. That is my only point. I never had more than a few sprigs here or there, on the same rock, for 15 years. Something caused it grow and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, well perhaps an x-wife. Anyway, just my two cents.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Not to fan the flames

Scbadiver
Was that all Neomeris?

My experience was much more typical, the occasional pop-up.

Thx,
-R
Old 12/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Naw, no flames. Skeeter-doc is absolutely correct with everything he has said, including that mine is an isolated case. He was very helpful to me when this first happened and I trust his advice. He is WAY more knowlegable than I. I'm just running scared of the stuff now because I know what could happen. Even with the help of all the folks on this board I couldn't beat it. My thought now is that Neomeris really prefers very clean water and very low nitrates and that most aqauriums do not provide what it likes, (nor does the ocean apparently). I had had an extremely clean tank with lots of water, light and circulation. A very low bio-load, and I "think" that had a lot to do with it. I don't think most aqaurist's have anything to worry about with it as Skeeter-doc said. As I said, I never had a problem for years and years.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:01 PM
Reefer Maniac

well shucks Robbie, didn't mean to come down so hard on you, thanks for the props, ...