Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

ATI Bubble Master 200?

What do you think of this skimmer for a 130G FOWLR? The tank is well stocked because it is home to a porc puffer. Anyone have any opinions on this skimmer?
Old 12/03/2007, 08:52 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I own one and it absolutly rocks. Best skimmer I could find for the money. Small footprint and short and pulls a lot of skimmate.
Buy it...

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/03/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

It can sit right on the bottom of the sump right? I dont need to have it raised up? I have a short stand and thats why I like this skimmer.
Old 12/03/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Yes it can sit on the bottom. It is completely adjustable w/ the gate valve.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:40 PM
Moved On

From what I've read, the best sump water level height is 6" to 8". So, if your sump water level is 12", you'll need a 4" stand to raise the skimmer. Take that into consideration. Also, your sump water level must be constant, you'll be forever adjusting it if the sump water level is not constant. It's definitely a great skimmer for the price and the performance is very close to the other high end skimmers, but at 1/2 the price.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
From what I've read, the best sump water level height is 6" to 8". So, if your sump water level is 12", you'll need a 4" stand to raise the skimmer. Take that into consideration. Also, your sump water level must be constant, you'll be forever adjusting it if the sump water level is not constant. It's definitely a great skimmer for the price and the performance is very close to the other high end skimmers, but at 1/2 the price.
Ok thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. Sounds like it should work really well in my sump though.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:05 AM
Moved On

Excellent skimmer. I've seen most BM200 owners do better with a air valve installed. The other BM models don't need it, but the BM200 gives user more control and better foaming with the air valve.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

So it sounds pretty good. What about on a heavily stocked 130G FOWLR though? Im talking a decent amount of fish including a 10" Puffer.

And yes this one has the air valve installed already. Its only 2 months old but about $200 cheaper than new ones.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:45 PM
Moved On

go for it before you loose the deal!
Old 12/04/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Ok, well it seems that people only have great things to say about them so I will go pick it up tomorrow! Thanks.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:39 PM
Moved On

Even if it's $50 cheaper than a brand new one, pick it up as it's only 2 months old. Ha, ha, ha. No brainer as you save on sales tax, shipping, etc. You lucky dog, $200 savings.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

So I picked this skimmer up and I was impressed with how easy it was to set up. Its VERY quiet too. Actually I have no idea if its even making any noise since my return pump (Mag 24) is way louder.

I have a question though...What water height works best with these skimmers? I just threw it in my sump for now and got it going but the return is under about 4" of water. Im not sure where it should actually be. Also, is there a long break in time for these skimmers usually?

Thanks!
Old 12/05/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

When using the air intake valve with the gate valve model BM 200 how do you set the foam? Which valve is set at a constant and then which one do you use to adjust the foam height?
Old 12/05/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Also, one more thing please. Do you guy's use the silencer on the air intake, either when or when not having the air intake valve? Does it make that big a difference in loudness? Do you keep the cotton ball stuff in there? Mine keeps getting water in the clear plastic resevoir. Thanks alot!
Old 12/05/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I am using the gate valve to set the foam height but I just got mone and would like to know the same thing. I have the silencer in use but I have not been able to notice much of a difference. Actually so far this skimmer is the quietest I have ever owned.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the skimmer being quiet. I think it may be mostly the rubber on the bottom of the plate the skimmer is attached to and the rubber on the bottom of the pump. I have had some skimmers that make a little bit of noise through the air intake tube(like the sound of sucking through a straw that has barely any liquid left in the cup). I am not sure if this is the sound the silencer silences or just the sound of air rushing through the tube.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grandp10
I agree with the skimmer being quiet. I think it may be mostly the rubber on the bottom of the plate the skimmer is attached to and the rubber on the bottom of the pump. I have had some skimmers that make a little bit of noise through the air intake tube(like the sound of sucking through a straw that has barely any liquid left in the cup). I am not sure if this is the sound the silencer silences or just the sound of air rushing through the tube.
Im pretty sure that what the silencer silences because I have tried it with and without the silencer. With, I hear nothing from the skimmer, just my return pump. Without, I hear a slight sucking noise but really its not too bad. With my cabinet closed, I hear nothing from the skimmer. I tried turning my return pump off and still could hear nothing from the skimmer with the cabinet doors closed. Im really impressed so far with this skimmer. Just need to get it adjusted properly though.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Good point, I took the cotton ball out of the silencer and left the plastic piece in place. I can hear a very slight sucking sound, but I believe if the hole on the top plastic cap is enlarged (Greg from Reefgeek suggested enlarging hole to quiet it some with empty plastic resevoir) it will help.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I took out the cotton too. So far Im very happy with how quiet the skimmer is...If only I could get my return pump quieter!
Old 12/05/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

So Im having a heck of a time adjusting this thing. I know there will be a break in period like any skimmer but Im having problems. Does anyone know approximately what water level seems to work with these skimmers? I keep thinking I have it set right (gate valve) but within an hour, it overflows. So I throttle it back slightly but then get pretty much no bubbles even making it into the neck. Seems really really sensitive. Any advice?
Old 12/05/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Ok, what I did is open the gate valve all the way, then after a few days like that I started to close the gate valve by turning counter clockwise. The directions say to do only one full turn per couple of hours to see how the water level in the skimmer reacts. Greg told me once it has been broken in some you can do this at a little faster pace. I ended up with my sump level being at real close to 7" and the gate valve at I beleive 8 turns counter clockwise. The higher the water level in the sump the less turns out counter clockwise. Hope that helps.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grandp10
Ok, what I did is open the gate valve all the way, then after a few days like that I started to close the gate valve by turning counter clockwise. The directions say to do only one full turn per couple of hours to see how the water level in the skimmer reacts. Greg told me once it has been broken in some you can do this at a little faster pace. I ended up with my sump level being at real close to 7" and the gate valve at I beleive 8 turns counter clockwise. The higher the water level in the sump the less turns out counter clockwise. Hope that helps.
Yes it does. I bought this skimmer used (2 months old) so I wonder if the break in time will be a little less? Anyways I will try what you said. Im already impressed with the tiny, dense bubbles it is producing.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:51 AM
Moved On

Go over to ReefGeek forum and read this thread. Many of the first owners had challenges adjusting their skimmers to optimal and posted many of their ideas here.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12/06/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

My bm200 is sitting in 6.5 inches of water in the sump. The sump water level should not fluctuate, should remain 6.5" all the time. I have mine on a 125 fowlr and feel this is a lot of skimmer for this size tank. When i first bought this skimmer some people told me that a bm160 would be a better fit and i believe they were right. Here is where i have my bubble breaking point at, its about one inch from the top.

Good luck!
Old 12/06/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

I actually got it set right last night before bed and checked this morning to find a decent amount of brown water and crap in the collection cup. I don't think there will even be much of a break in time with mine because it was run for 2 months before I got it. Im happy with the production over night.