Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Largest GPH powerhead for 55 gallon reef

I have a FOWLR 55 gallon tank that is being converted into a Reef tank. I am presently swapping around Powerheads to help with flow. I want to buy a new Mag1800 or possibly larger. Is there a limit to where the Powerhead flow from a single source would be too powerful for a 55 gallon tank. If so, what would be the "too powerful" gph for a reef tank, with fish.

I realize that smaller heads give more options. I am just trying to see if there is a powerhead gph that would be too great from a concentrated single source.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 11/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

mag18 is a return pump, not a powerhead. Were you asking if a mag18 would be a good return pump?
Old 11/28/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Craig,

Let me rephrase the question.

I like the Mag series of pumps. Can I use a MAG 18 in my tank, or is that too powerful a single source for a 55 gallon tank.

If it's not too large for a single source, can I even get a larger one. If so, how large can I go... For a reef tank with fish.

My calculations is that the Mag 18 will bring my tank up to 60 turnover. That's where I am thinking I want to be. High gph to give excellent circulation.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 11/28/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

are you thinking about putting the pump inside the main display? or are you thinking about replacing it on your return for the whole system?

does your tank have a sump? can you describe your tank alittle more? take pics!!! people love to see tank pics! and people can see what you have a give better advice?
Old 11/28/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

No, you wouldn't place a pump like that in your tank. It has a 1/2" exit and would act like a fire hose. (It's also bigger than a softball). You want powerheads in the tank Look at a pair of tunze nano streams. They will each provide over 1100 gph of fairly wide flow, and would work very well on a tank that size.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Guys,

I want to increase GPH. So I want to test replacing my Mag 7 for my skimmer with a Mag 18 and then just place the Mag 7 on a dead spot in my tank, and run a hose to the other side, to improve circulation.

If the Mag 18 is too big for skimmer, that's why I was asking about using it as a stand alone.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 11/28/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

what kinda skimmer? i think that will be a different situation...

but for inside the tank, if you are okay with the looks... then it shoudl be okay. in my opinion, concentrated flow is not that great. but to solve that... you can put the mag somewhere with a nice foam prefilter (so that no fish get stuck) and just plumb it to the top and have several outlets. may be use loc line and point to where you want. i woudl think 2-4 outlets would give you ZERO dead spots and lots of flow wiht out the single hot spot?

what you are makign is called a closed loop. basically a new circulation with out the filter. good idea... but i think most pople like to keep the pump out of the tank (big, plumbing outlets need to be made, heat from pump goes into water) that is why power heads are generally acceptable... smaller, less heat, and easy to point.

i thnk it woudl be good to see a pic of the tank... the rockwork and stuff make a big difference. just point to where the dead spot is and people will have a good idea on what you might need...
Old 11/28/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Here's my current situation. I had made several buys and sells on skimmers. Finally, I got fed up, with my last skimmer that was very dependent on water level. Required either a top off daily, or an adjustment, etc.

So I did a mod, on my current skimmer, so that it uses a surface skimmer. It runs a mag 7, and produces an "okay amount of skim". However, I would like it to produce more. In addition, when I chatted with you guys about my idea for "suping up" the power, I felt, I would get better results. However, seeing is believing. So my 2nd thought, is if I don't like the results from the gph boost from the new pump to my skimmer, I would just use the pump in the tank.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 11/28/2007, 06:44 PM
Team RC Member

Unless you skimmer is a venturi recirculating type a larger pump is not the answer, you need better aeration not more flow to make it work better. I feed my skimmer with a MJ 900 powerhead and it produces tons of scum if need be. The recirculating pump is what makes it work and its a OR 2700 needlewheel pump.
As for powerheads you want diffused flow not directed flow like a Mag will give you. Something like the Tunzes already suggested , Hydor Koralias or maybe Rio Seios are much better choices since the move more water at almost no power consumption. Power consumption equals heat gain and Mags are notorious for being inefficient and heat generators, the Mag 18 in a 55 gal will boil the water, well thats a little extreme but you will see 5-8 degrees heat rise if not more for sure.
Old 12/03/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Guys,

I am looking at the Tunze. The wave maker options on the more expensive unit looks cool. Just expensive.

Thanks for your input.

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net
Old 12/03/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I just picked up two Tunze 6055 for my 45 Gallon. I currently have two 6025, but I want more flow and I like the wave maker option on the 6055's. If you go the Tunze route I would get them as soon as possible. They just went up in price by I think 12% because of the value of the dollar verses euros. The LFS sold it to me at the old price since they currently have them in stock. Any new stuff would be at the new price. Saved at least $100. Good luck.