Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

definite possibility - nice fish!

Quote:
Originally posted by sprinj76
Tail Spot Blenny

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2229

Such a fun fish to watch and an amazing personality. Although liveaquaria says they are hebivores mine eats algae off the rocks and loves flake food.

They stay small and have been the favorite fish in my tank for anyone who has seen it, even over my clownfish.
Old 12/01/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

my favorite combo

Old 12/01/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
definite possibility - nice fish!
Thanks, I purchased mine from liveaquaria might be difficult to find in a LFS.

Mine loves to chase flake food when I feed him, and is always at the front of the tank when people go to look at it. Not shy at all, very playful and curious.

Liveaquaria says: "Approximate Purchase Size: 3/4" to 1-1/2"" mine was 2"-2.5" when I got him, which I was very happy about.

Couldn't reccomend this fish more!!
Old 12/01/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

tank looks amazing
Old 12/01/2007, 09:45 PM
the cattleman

I'm also looking for a perfect nano fish. A herbavoire that will leave my corals alone. As far as I know all algae-eating dwarf angels and blennies are not to be trusted with invertabretes. The only one to trust is yellow tangs, but they aren't nano fish.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/01/2007, 09:57 PM
Keeper of Sharks

How about a Royal Gramma. Not sure if they're known jumpers, but mine was great.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/02/2007, 12:31 AM
the cattleman

Quote:
Originally posted by colinadam
Blackcap Basslett:

Will these guys eat nuisance algae?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/02/2007, 03:36 AM
Registered Member

I'm a fan of the yellow watchman as well. I don't think there is much risk of jumping, since they will spend the majority of their time in the lower half of the tank. I've had mine in several open top tanks (and open buckets while moving) and have never even seen the watchman reach the surface, let alone try to escape. Cool behavior with the watchman/pistol shrimp pair. Will keep the sand pretty free of algae and detritus by "eating" the sand and filtering it through the gills for microfauna.

Only downside is that they are shy, and usually will dart for safety when someone approaches the tank. Sort of makes them an accessory fish, but quite a good one, IMO.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:38 AM
Registered Member

Maroons make good clowns for a nano, because once they outgrow it, they are just big enough to make a satisfying sandwich. 1-2 mins. per side on the grill with a little lemon. mmm good
Old 12/02/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Alright, i'm tagging along cuz i am starting a nano reef this month...... I've never kept firefish, but i have always wanted to have some. Would a pair of firefish (they would be the only fish inhabitants) do well in a 12g Nanocube?
Old 12/02/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I have a YWG and pistol shrimp pair and are great and i have not had any problems with mine jumping or anything weird they are shy for awhile but mine justs sits out all the time
Old 12/02/2007, 02:44 PM
Keeper of Sharks

I would also go with a Tailspot Blenny. Very personable and colorful fish!

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/02/2007, 02:57 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Blackcap Bassletts will not eat algae.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Just added a Yellow Gumdrop Goby to my 24G nano cube. Here are other fish to consider:

1) Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)

2) Orange Lined Cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma)

3) pygmy hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis)

Scott
Old 12/02/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton
Just added a Yellow Gumdrop Goby to my 24G nano cube. Here are other fish to consider:

1) Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)

2) Orange Lined Cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma)

3) pygmy hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis)

Scott
ive read online that the hawkfish u have listed will eat coral... has urs tried anything yet?
Old 12/02/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I have not added any of the three listed below yet. Have only added a little gumdrop goby. Still researching and talking to fellow reefers like y'all.

Yes, hawkfish can nip corals and will definitely go for hermit crabs, etc that they can catch. What makes the dwarf hawkfish a possible nano candidate is it's size. It is tiny. They can grow up to 2" but normally when you order them they're about 1". So, even if they go for a coral and/or a crab they wont do to much damage.

Similarily, even the gumdrop gobies will nip corals. If you are lucky enough to get a pair they will pick their favorite coral, clear a patch and lay eggs on the coral. Might be kinda cool except if the coral they pick is your favorite rare one.

Scott
Old 12/02/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Clowns r great. Thay can be hosted in everything nearly

10glNano
Old 12/02/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

yes, they would be great if you are trying to feed ants (see my signature area)

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereye37
Alright, i'm tagging along cuz i am starting a nano reef this month...... I've never kept firefish, but i have always wanted to have some. Would a pair of firefish (they would be the only fish inhabitants) do well in a 12g Nanocube?
Old 12/02/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

i went diving today and saw a clown fish some nitwit let loose - he looked happy - couldn't get a picture - it was a fast drift dive and didn;t have time to compose focusing more on something else at the moment.

I like this thread - very good for me. I wonder if the watchman/shrimp AND tailspot blenny would mind each other.

Clowns are out for the nano - I'll not have clowns bugging clams there but may get some for my lartger tank. My new blue throat trigger settled in nicely. Because it mainly hovers in the center of the tank unless chasing food - I am betting he could be put in a smaller tank
Old 12/02/2007, 09:17 PM
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Two firefish will fight to the death, and having two in an open topped nano reef, is just inviting them to go carpet or floor surfing. They are jumpers and are known for it. Nine times out of ten, it it one of the many reasons why you will find them at LFS's in tanks with glass tops. The thing you could do is buy three and they would school. But two will not work, and like most fish one, will be absolutely fine as well.

My recommendation for a nano tank would have to be a pair of clowns, tail spot or midas blenny, a purple firefish, or a small banana or sixline wrasse.

HTH
Old 12/02/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

all the clowns bugging clams that i have seen have been Clarki clowns...and they will host absolutely anything...

i have false percs and they dont even give my clams a second look...

other nice thing about clowns is they are rather territorial...in that they dont really leave their area...once they have found it..only to get food...once they (clowns) are established..put your clams on the other side of the tank..and also Dont get clarki's...also maroons and tomato's get big and very aggressive so stay away from them..
perc's, false percs, skunk, onyx, saddle back would be better choices for a nano.

i really like my 6 line...always playing in the rocks and sticking his nose everywhere..(my coral banded shrimp dont like him though) will readily eat anything thrown in the tank too...but they are definite pod hunters too..has so far rid my tank of the nuisance amphipods that were alway pecking around my zoos.

i love the cardinal fish too
pink dotty backs...possible jumper though
royal gramma
potters angel - awesome colour
dragon wrasse - striking colour and behaviour, not so good with CUC though
lawn mower blenny - pretty much only algae grazer for a nano

i have found that my yellow clown goby always picked at my SPS...mini carpet anemone put an end to that though...
Old 12/02/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

i currently just have a red corris wrasse... awesome awesome fish... eats everything!!!!! so easy and when older changes to a completely different looking fish!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10726;103/st/20071022/n/start+date/k/0965/blk-age.png[/img]
[/url]
Old 12/02/2007, 11:37 PM
the cattleman

Quote:
Originally posted by colinadam
Blackcap Bassletts will not eat algae.
Will they harm inverts? Will they keep their color? Strawberry grammas can lose color and they're related to blackcaps.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/04/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

All - I take back my interest in the Yellow Gumdrop Goby because after one day it has started nipping on my aussie acans. It doesn't actually do any damage, but the polyp does retract partly. Has anyone had similar experiences? Do they stop after awhile or is it just part of their nature?

I found this link after searching on WebWebMedia - Gobiodon Okinawae and basically it was recommended not to add them to SPS tanks. I'd like to add that that you'd better be careful adding them to your tank if you have large fleshy LPS.

Scott
Old 12/04/2007, 12:58 AM
Reef adict

There are quite few fish that would be great. I would personally do a true percula pair and a 6 line wrasse in a 25g. Good luck.