Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

advice needed... 24 aquapod w/ 70 halide or JBJ 24 deluxe???

i like a cube look and am "downsizing" from a 60 cube. i surely have enough coral and rock to make the switch and "fill" a 24 gallon tank...

i like a deep front to back look for the depth of view and fish coming off their reef to grab some food. i like having deep caves etc...

i see the footprint of the aquapod isnt as deep as the jbj... the aquapod i'd get is from a local reefer and has teh 70 watt halide set up with the LED's and PC actinics... or the JBJ would be a 2x36 watt PC closed top.

could you all give me some insight to the two tanks...

the oceanic 29 gallon is too big for what i want and would only save me 4"x4" the other two would be a bit smaller (not much, i know but enough to please the wife)
Old 11/30/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Im debating between the same two tanks also... I think im going to go with the JBJ though, simply because of the closed top which is a must for me, and it can be upgraded fairly easily if need be
Old 11/30/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

will the closed top really help evaporation?

does an open top lead to cracks in the glass?

good point about an easy upgrade.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I believe that it helps on evap quite a bit. I have never owned a closed lid nano but my 15" open top cube evaps a ton thats why im getting rid of it
Old 11/30/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I have two AquaPods with metal halides. They came with glass covers so the evaporation is less than other aquariums I have without covers, and my fish don't jump out.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

how do you like them? if you had it to do over would you still do the aquapod? do you think the tank is too shallow from front to back compared with the jbj?
Old 12/01/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Im going to be ordering my jbj tomorrow so i will let you know
Old 12/01/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm very happy with my AquaPods/Metal Halides, and am planning on buying one more.

I did have some problems with a couple of JBJs I used to own - had to replace fans multiple times and had to replace an entire hood once because of an electrical problem.

I never compared the length front-back for AquaPod vs JBJ. I didn't consider the dimensions of the tanks when purchasing them (except for them being cubes), I was more interested in the size/gallons.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:00 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

I also have the 24AP with a halide. I *like* the fact that I evap a bit more than I would with a covered tank. It means my kalkwasser top off is a bit more effective, and my tank runs cooler. I also get better gas exchange and probably have a higher pH because of it.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."