Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Bubble algae

how does one get rid of a few bubbles? I'm afraid to pull at them as they might break...
Old 12/01/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Emerald Crabs!
Old 12/01/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

If you can pull out the rock...do it and just pry them off and swish them in old water whenever you do your water change
Old 12/01/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Are emerald crabs really the answer? I've been meaning to pick some up at a LFS but I haven't seen any around.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adamatic
Are emerald crabs really the answer? I've been meaning to pick some up at a LFS but I haven't seen any around.
sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Its a gamble
Old 12/01/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

I have never seen my emerald touch bubble algae unless it is already popped. I tend to pull my rocks out and manually remove it.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Use a hose to do a small water change in a 5 gal bucket using a larger hose to siphon. As you are siphoning the water, start pulling the bubble algae out and keep the hose right up next to the piece of bubble algae that you are pulling out. That way when the bubble algae breaks off it will get sucked up and out the tank right away and if it breaks open the spores inside the bubble will not get spread throughout the tank, the majority of the spores will be sucked up by your siphon hose.

Another tip for doing this is get a siphon going and then start removing the bubble algae, but as you are moving on to the next piece put your finger over the end of the hose and keep it submerged. Then once you have moved the hose over to the next piece of bubble algae, remove your finger from the end of the hose and the siphon will start back up for you automatically. This will save you from siphoning too much water from your tank and you will be able to get more of the algae out before your bucket gets filled.

Hope this helps
Old 12/01/2007, 08:47 PM
barnacle boy

great tip, ive done the same thing. with a hose and a peace of sharp plastic at the tip. just pop them and immediately suck off the water that comes out. turn off your pump as to not spread the spores around your tank. if they are small you can just suck them whole like itkireefer mentioned.