Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

How do i kill........my SPS

My pocilapora.

This coral has spawned in my tank and has 40 colonies growing everywhere in the tank. They are killing and burning other corals all over the tank and i cant seem to kill them. They are a huge drain on Ca and on me. I break them off and then they just grow flat like a mont over the rock. They grow all over the glass where they have landed on coralline.

Is there anyway to kill these buggers. I bought reef glue to try to cover them up but i cant get to them under the water. I have large colonies so it is hard for me to get the LR out of the tank to scrap them. I feel like i am grabbing at straws. Please help me.

thanks

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/29/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

might help if we know the species, but also, just shoot some kalk paste on them, that kills anything it touches.
Old 11/29/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Its green pocillapora from ORA not sure an exact sp. I do not want to kill all the sps in my tank just the problem sites. Will this paste get into the water and cause me more problems?

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/29/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

turn your powerheads and pumps off, then put the paste spots on the corals. leave the pumps off for a short while. Don't over do the paste, it won't take much.

my poci doing same thing. the main colony is stinging the millie trying to grow over it.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

You could also use aquarium putty that's used for mounting frags and sticking rocks together. I used a large tube of the stuff to cover up the encrusted areas of millepora that was encroaching some nice stags. problem is, your tank will look a bit strange for a while till the putty gets overgrown with coralline...

If you go this route, turn your skimmer off for a while, or watch it closely, as the putty can sometimes make the skimmer go nuts.

BTW, I've seen this exact thing happen in someone's tank before, and actually I have some of his pocillipora in my own tank--I'm thinking I will do the same as you before it's too late!
Old 11/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

That's a lot of polyp bailout! Green Poci is known for it. If you have that much some lfs will take it for store credit. Where do live in Pa?
Old 11/29/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

ok, i knew hard corals would end up the same as soft corals,...1st xenia infestations, then green star polyps, then leathers, then anthellias, then zoas, now pocilapora......... soon we will be throwing acropora, cespitularia, heck maybe even Dendronepthya away..cant you sell it !?!? dont kill it !
Old 11/29/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Ya, I agree, it may actually be worth it if you could set up a small Prop tank, and actually get a little back... that and help maybe pay the electric bill or what-not... alot of people wouldn't mind paying for small frags..... Possibly a local club around you can donate frags too?
Old 11/29/2007, 06:25 PM
AEFW Survivor

If it is like my pocillopora, it is rather fragile and will easily "POP" off of the rocks. If you have a local MAS, give or sell the corals to people. If you live near That Fish Place in Lancaster, talk to them about buying coral for credit.

Killing them with Kalk paste is a waste. I know that there would be plenty of people interested in the coral, further more, those at project DIBS may be interested to increase the genetic diversity of their exhisting gene pool.

http://www.projectdibs.com/

FWIW, there are those that claim that polyp bail out is a myth and the coral is actually broadcast spawning. Congrats on the healthy tank!
Old 11/29/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

i have no problem spreading around the branches, the problem i have is wth the encrusting part that i cant scrape off. I have puttied over one spot tonight and i will watch it for a week if it works out i wil start using this method. I will break off the branches glue them to plugs and putty over the encrusting part. I will take pics and show you my progress.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.

Is the putty safe? It seems strange that it would drive the skimmer crazy.

thanks for your help

Old 11/29/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Do you have pictures? I am interested in seeing what you are talking about. I just can't imagine it.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

The putty is totally safe. I have like 6 tubes of it in my tank. It does make the skimmer go crazy while it cures, but it is totally safe. Good idea too, but I would personally get our that kalk paste.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Where in Pa are you located? Honestly, I've been lookinig for Green Poci.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I live in west chester, and i would be more than happy to trade some poci or if you dont have anything to trade then you can just have some (i am not good at selling things ).

I am going to NYC this weekend but when i get back i will take a bunch of pictures to show you guys what is going on in the tank.

Another question, do you think that I could leave the putty over a section of coral then take it off a month later after the coral has died or is it much more perminent.

Last question, will killing coral in this way cause any sort of spike in my tank?

Old 11/30/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

PM'd ya.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Yea man, If i lived in PA i would swing by and pick a couple frags up.
Don't kill them.
Don't forget we are trying to save the reefs! (or at least some of us)
Propagating corals at home will be a big part in saving the reefs !
Old 12/16/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

do you have any frags left to part with? I`m lookig for a couple small pieces

Thanks
Mike