Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Question no protein skimmer?

I have a 55 gal tank, but no protein skimmer. I have a blue tang, black/white clown, reg clown, watchman goby and a few others. I do about a 25% water change about once a month. All water tests are good. Do I need a protein skimmer?
Old 11/28/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

What type of filtration are you running on the tank? Is it a sump? a HOB? Canister? How much live rock?

The short answer is Yes you need a protien skimmer to remove waste from the water.
Old 11/28/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I have a fluval 305 canister filter. I think it's rated for 70 gal. I have about 15 lbs of live rock
Old 11/28/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunk
The short answer is Yes you need a protien skimmer to remove waste from the water.
I have an even shorter answer: no.

I've been skimmerless for 5+ months now, nitrates were less than 1ppm when I tested last night. That being said, I did just get a Euro Reef RS-100 skimmer which I plan on installing next month when I get my new sump. I keep a heavily stocked 55g reef with mostly SPS corals (lots of acros and montis) as well as 6 clams. I've had all but 2 of the clams for at least 16 months.

I suspect someone who's only keeping fish (at least I didn't see a mention of corals in the OP) would have an even easier time. I'd just make sure you have enough live rock and hopefully a refugium.
Old 11/28/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

cool. but what is a refugium? haha. I only have a cheap flourescent light, so no coral. but i'm planning on investing in a bigger complete setup, so I don't want to put $ into my 55.
Old 11/28/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Yes, its better water quality for you fish/tank.

But a friend of mine has a 100 gallon without a skimmer for 2 years and his fish are fine? He has no problems, just does weekly water changes.

But I personally on my tanks have always used one.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Do you need one? No. Ive been running my tank for about 3or 4 years without a skimmer. I actually bought one but rarely used it. Never tested my parameters either...so i may not be the best person to give advice. Have a variety of LPS, zoos, and some SPS. Everything seems to be fine. Just keep up on the water changes either weekly or bi weekly.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

No you do not need a skimmer!I have been skimmerless for the full 3 years on my 20 long.Only filtration is a aquaclear hang on back filter with a sponge and carbon in it.Here is a pic, sorry for the bad pic.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

It wasn't that long ago that skimmers didn't exist...well maybe it was a few years. But, people had very successful tanks with no skimmers.

In my case I see how much junk the skimmer pulls out of my tank so I won't go without one.
Old 11/28/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

With enough water changes to keep your NO3 and PO4 in check then there is no need for a skimmer at all. If your tank is too large to maintain the levels you want with water changes then yes, you need one. Thats all there is too it....its that simple.

I have a small tank and do a 20% water change EVERY week. I have no measurable NO3 or PO4. So..no skimmer needed.

Last edited by Mark426; 11/28/2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

I was under the impression that live rock took care of the biological filtration, but that you need to have something (aka:skimmer, filter, a dirty sponge to wipe the bottom of the tank with) to remove the particals from the water??? If you dont what happens to all the stuff that you have to clean ot of your filter?