Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 11:20 AM
One Good Friend

How tall is that skimmer Gary? If its going to take 1057gph it had better be pretty tall as in around 28". The only problem i see is the neck of the skimmer if its less than 3-4" in diameter isn't going to be able to handle that much air. But hopefully you can get it to work. I'm curious how it does stock. And you only need a 1/4" hose adapter as it will pull plenty of air, no need for a 5/8
Old 11/21/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

That mod sounds very cool. The skimmer is around 24-26" tall and I believe the neck is approximately 4" in diameter. Haven't tried it stock yet, but the venturi inlet that the pump came with is only 1/8" ID at most, so I'll need to widen it a bit with the mod to let in more air.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Of course, if I do the air intake mod, wouldn't the barb fitting I place inside the pump intake slow the flow down a bit as well?
Old 11/21/2007, 12:33 PM
One Good Friend

No, it won't slow it down. The way to slow it down will be from the increased % in air draw. Do you have a pic of the skimmer?
Old 11/21/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Soon as I get home, I'll post some.....Ever notice how the day before a holiday break seems to just drag on and on... :-)
Old 11/21/2007, 12:37 PM
One Good Friend

Yes, it totally sux....especially when everyone isn't here and you have the pita boss that stays til 5.......
Old 11/21/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

LOL! Oh yeah, "that guy".......Oh well, thank goodness for RC, huh? :-)
Old 11/25/2007, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Clevengergl, any updates...hows the skimmer preforming?
Old 11/25/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Mine is working very nicely!
Old 11/26/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Experiencing some delays in completing my setup. Got everything plumbed, aquascaped, tank filled and filled sump about half-way only to find that my external pump's not working!!! So I'll be working on that for the next few days and, once I've the system running, then I'll fire up the skimmer.

Gary
Old 11/27/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I recieved my skimmer today....having a few problems.....one the pump and 90 degree elbow do not jive......pump is about 1/4 inch too low to fit into the elbow, looks like if I get a piece of acrylic the same thickness as the base it might mate up....e-mailed Chris will see what he says. Other than that all looks well...I definately wanted it up and running today but it looks like I'll be delayed a bit till we figure this out. Did you all cement your elbows to the skimmer or where they already done when you got it, my 90 degree and the water adjustment tube and elbow where not attached when I recieved the skimmer?
Old 11/27/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem, and used a piece of an acrylic scrubber pad underneath the pump to raise it up. And yes, mine also came with the elbow and telescope not attached.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Yep, I had to attach them myself. Still haven't gotten it running, so not sure if the fittings need to be cemented or not.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:22 PM
One Good Friend

Do not cement the fittings, they will work fine not cemented. As for it not fitting just right, you could pry buy the piece of pvc at lowes or what not for 99cents, but would have to buy a pvc cutter for 5-10bux and do it yourself.
Old 11/27/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Since I know not to cement it....I'll rig it up to get it to breakin...but probally go to lowes and get the pvc and fit it correctly.
Old 11/27/2007, 03:34 PM
One Good Friend

You can never have enough pvc.....i have a nice collection in my garage i admire....wifey just loves it!
Old 11/27/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

another stupid question....how far should the water rise in the first reaction chamber....only as high as the telescoping tubes height is? It seems that the water height is low around 12 inches with a total of 16 inches on the first reaction tube, I have the telescoping tube all the way up and my water level is 4-5 inches below the top of the first chamber, do I need to add an extension on the telescoping tube to get more height out of it, or just sit back and let it break in?

Last edited by Maudsley; 11/27/2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

sit back a day or two and see if it gets better.......it should
Old 11/27/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

You had massive microbubbles in your tank correct? My tank looks like a blizzard is going on in it........ How many inches of water is your skimmer sitting in?
Old 11/27/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I did when I changed a sock filter for some reason.........they were gone the next day. I have mine in about 9 1/2 inches of water in my sump.......
Old 11/27/2007, 10:34 PM
One Good Friend

Its normal to have tons of micro's for a few days while the oils are working themselves out.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

If you lower the telescoping tube...water level should go down, when you raise it it should go up...correct? Mine does not move the water level at all....sugestions? Skimmer is sitting in about 6-7 inches of water right now? Sorry for all the stupid questions but my other skimmer was a venturi not a needlewheel and setup was a breeze.....unfortunately I'm skimmer stupid! Also I just raised the level in my sump and the water level in the skimmer also went up...now its about an inch from the top of the first reaction chamber.

Last edited by Maudsley; 11/28/2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:46 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Maudsley
If you lower the telescoping tube...water level should go down, when you raise it it should go up...correct? Mine does not move the water level at all....sugestions? Skimmer is sitting in about 6-7 inches of water right now? Sorry for all the stupid questions but my other skimmer was a venturi not a needlewheel and setup was a breeze.....unfortunately I'm skimmer stupid! Also I just raised the level in my sump and the water level in the skimmer also went up...now its about an inch from the top of the first reaction chamber.
Yes, if you raise or lower the riser tube water should rise and fall, thats its purpose. If it doesn't, something is wrong. And yes water will rise and fall in your skimmer if you raise or lower the sump water level. That is very important with a nw skimmer to keep the water level consistent. If you don't you will have a finicky skimmer.
Old 11/28/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Humm...well it seems that the water will drop about 1/2 inch if i take the telescope from all the way up to all the way down. I e-mailed the builder and I'm waiting on his response. So if I go get move pvc and add it to the telescope will that raise the water more....there is no tube comming off the bigger diameter part of the telescope, I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece of pvc. Then again I guess if that is the problem...how much lenght do I add to the telescoping riser?
Old 11/28/2007, 01:54 PM
One Good Friend

Generally you have a water leveler that will go up and down, the water level stays at the level of the top of the water leveler. Make sense. So if you want your water level in your skimmer at the bottom of the neck, then thats where your water leveler will be.