Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

another great load of corals from DLC

Stopped by DLC after school today. It was tough to leave, but i managed. Brought home 11 choice pieces. Cant wait to go back get some more. Nicest people around.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Pics!
Old 11/26/2007, 09:52 PM
Big Boy Pants

Got this one at SeaShor.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 11/26/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gem Tang Rider
Got this one at SeaShor.

Make sure you keep any eye on that burn mark on the left hand side...
Old 11/26/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fish-freek-3000
Stopped by DLC after school today. It was tough to leave, but i managed. Brought home 11 choice pieces. Cant wait to go back get some more. Nicest people around.
It was great seeing you again. hope everything is doing well and if you have any problems let us know
Old 11/26/2007, 11:24 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkLordCoral
Make sure you keep any eye on that burn mark on the left hand side...
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/26/2007, 11:36 PM
Frag-a-holic

Fish Freak, pics?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 11/26/2007, 11:39 PM
Moved On

Ya, its a shame that Sea Schor doesn't support CMAS discount. Well they do if you spend a decent amount of money or drive from far away. thats the only way to get the "CMAS" 10% off. Thats a direct quote from a person at the store.......
Old 11/27/2007, 12:23 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Just curious why someone would post a pic of something from SS when the thread was about what great corals someone got at DLC? I'm confused... Which is easy, since I'm on painkillers.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:50 AM
Moved On

someone just had to rain on the parade.......... It's not just your meds.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:11 AM
barnacle boy

nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, at least someone knows how to post pictures
im also waiting for fishfreaks pictures.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:23 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Yeah, great pic of a beautiful scoly (the 2nd pic). It realy glows under actinics.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
nothing wrong with a little friendly competition
The problem is that "Friendly" competition is hard to come by...

If another LFS feels threatened, they call government agencies on you or complain to vendors.

I really don't think this is too friendly?

Last edited by DarkLordCoral; 11/27/2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:

If another LFS feels threatened, they call government agencies on you or complain to vendors.

Wow.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/27/2007, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

thats pretty shady....
On a side note, I need to stop by and check out and buy some stuff to stock my new tank!

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 11/27/2007, 03:15 AM
Moved On

some store owners are greedy and just want all the buisness at any price i guess, and feel threatend by healthy competition.

one of these days i will make it to Dark Lord

I try to stay away from these places and give my money to the more sincere store owners.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

*** people... RC is like 1% of the chicagoland LFS marketplace. store owners need to get a grip.

if they think people going to DLC from RC, instead of their own store, is going to kill their business...they need to get out now. Most businesses were started out of their basements or garages. look at sharkys..werent they started out of the basement? and im sure theyre going back to it, if they are still going to be in this business

Things are going to be changing in the near future. Lease rates are ridiculous, and they will fall BIG, just like the housing market in time. there is a glut of commercial property on the mkt.
22% com-ed electric rate increase isnt helping matters. Shipping surcharges increase etc. And when the consumer really pulls back next year, youre going to see A LOT of businesses fold up shop. ecommerce will be the only way most stay afloat imo.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

here ya go. i am embarrased to put this pic up cuz it doenst do the corals justice. but you kinda get an idea with that purple birdnest. the one chalice that you see is bright orangish/redish. i will get better pics when they get in my main tank(and i get a battery for my camera)

Old 11/27/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

I understand why an LFS would call the government.... DLC has a huge advantage over them. Residential areas are zoned to not be able to run a business out of a house.... you can get away with it if you don't have walk in customers. DLC does have walk in customers which generates traffic throughout the residential area. I am not trying to start anything and don't know what permits etc DLC has but the "friendly" competition he brings to the table with an LFS is just as low of a blow to the LFS is as calling the Gov. is a low blow to DLC.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:18 AM
Frag-a-holic

Why does this have to come up on every DLC thread? Either support them or not. They have already said that they have their documents in order. I am assuming that this is true since when the feds came, they obviously didn't shut them down. If you have issues with DLC, take it up with them in private. This is not what this thread was origionally about. Read the title again if you are confused.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 11/27/2007, 10:23 AM
Big Boy Pants

I didn't mean to make this into such a dark thread. Just wanted to show off my scolly.

Sorry

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net

Last edited by Gem Tang Rider; 11/27/2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Moved On

kawicivic~ It's to late.

Gem Tang Rider~ I'm sure you know the story about whats been going on with DLC and the other LFS that were involved. That is why i thought your post was unnecessary. DLC runs a top notch business out of their home, which makes a lot of people jealous. This goes back to what kawicivic said. To say that its "low blow to a lfs" because they don't have a regular retail space is the most ridiculous comment i have ever heard. They still have a mortgage to pay, electric, phone, water, insurance, OVERHEAD!!!! They do carry dry goods people, its not like they stock only 1 of everthing they carry.

*calling the federal government for no good reason but to try and shut down a competitor is just sad......

I'm done "ranting" before i get i trouble. sorry Boyd couldn't help it
Old 11/27/2007, 12:37 PM

wrassemeister- I thought it was unappropriate for DLC to post that in the 1st place.

powderbluetangy- Dude, Sharkys was a really bad example, seeing how they are going out of business and all. Good luck to them, but they're closing regardless.....

fish freek 3000- Looked like too many air bubbles. Maybe angle an outlet down for the pic or turning the pump off might help get a clearer pic.

kawacivic- Well said.

GG- Whats a CMAS thread without a hijack?

gemtangrider- Look whatcha started now....
p.s.-GET OFF MY FISH!!

jski- I don't think jealous is the term. You gotta remember, lfs' that actually have a store front have mortgages elec., etc.... for a store AND a house. Not a house that is also a store. I think they get mad because some of these "basement shops" are more expensive then the lfs', with 1/2 of the expenses. Atleast I do. IMO.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/27/2007, 01:02 PM
g l a s s b o x

This is just my opinoin based on my observations....

DLC is rightfully more expensive because they get some of the best specimens in the country into their shop. Most of their pieces are one of a kind....if anything stores are and should be jealous because of their relationships with suppliers.

if you've ever been to DLC you'd also know that they use top of the line equipment and their systems are extremely well run. How many LFS's can you go to to check out deltec or FM products? How many LFS in the area run bacterioplankton systems for nutrient reduction. How many LFS even know what bacterioplankton/probiotic systems are?

On top of all that Mike and Elizabeth are honest sincere people

Fish-Freak, nice pick ups. hard to make out the details but the colors look great.

cheers,

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 11/27/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
This is just my opinoin based on my observations....

DLC is rightfully more expensive because they get some of the best specimens in the country into their shop. Most of their pieces are one of a kind....if anything stores are and should be jealous because of their relationships with suppliers.

if you've ever been to DLC you'd also know that they use top of the line equipment and their systems are extremely well run. How many LFS's can you go to to check out deltec or FM products? How many LFS in the area run bacterioplankton systems for nutrient reduction. How many LFS even know what bacterioplankton/probiotic systems are?

On top of all that Mike and Elizabeth are honest sincere people

Fish-Freak, nice pick ups. hard to make out the details but the colors look great.

cheers,

eric
Agree 100%