Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Dead fish already from Beverlys

I got a Banggai Cardinal fish on Friday at the sale. He died last night He seemed to be doing fine. We checked the parameters before we put him in there and after he died. They were fine. Never had a fish die on me so fast before.
Anyone have this problem before from there? I dont think that I will be getting fish there anymore.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

How did you acclimate him? Also did anyone there tell you they do better in pairs?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Beverlys doesn't carry the healthiest fish and is common practice to say "you get what you pay for." I would never buy fish from them or similar stores with the same practices.

How did you aclimate the fish?

-Matthew
Old 11/25/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

ya happened to me as well. i picked up a affrican leapord wrasse on tuesday. he dies the next day. i wanted the one of the ones in their frag tank but the manager said no becuase they were "good algea eaters".. in other words the colors were awsome and they survived the acclimation and have been there for about a month... i hate it when stores do that, they keep the best of the shipments for there "display" tanks. i have never bought a fish before that came straight outta the bag, and thats the last time i do.. i think thats the last time i get fish from there as well..
Old 11/25/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Im not giving Beverlys a plug or anything, but Ive bought fish from them in the past and fish are doing great. I would think it had something to do with "aclimate the fish"
Old 11/25/2007, 01:04 PM
What next???

I have bought fish there before and inverts...no prob.
BUT I knew the risk, and I would never recommend to anyone to buy livestock from there.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

thats the first thing i have that died from there but i dislike the service sometimes, usually cause most of them dont know anything... example..
i went in there before i thought about doing corals to ask about the flow i needed for a SPS tank and they told me 2 - 3x the turnover rate of the tank... for my tank that would be 60-90 gph of flow.. yeah right...

i drip aclimate everything that goes into the tank so i know it wasnt that. i just think i need to check out other stores. i looked at age of aquarium last night and want impressed.. maybe becuase it was right after thanksgiving.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Reef
thats the first thing i have that died from there but i dislike the service sometimes, usually cause most of them dont know anything... example..
i went in there before i thought about doing corals to ask about the flow i needed for a SPS tank and they told me 2 - 3x the turnover rate of the tank... for my tank that would be 60-90 gph of flow.. yeah right...

i drip aclimate everything that goes into the tank so i know it wasnt that. i just think i need to check out other stores. i looked at age of aquarium last night and want impressed.. maybe becuase it was right after thanksgiving.
Talk to Steve
Old 11/25/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

that usually who i talk to, he seems to know the most out of everybody there. if he's not around i talk to the guy with the strong accent that usually has spiky hair. (forgot his name)
Old 11/25/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Chef Reef......you live close to Fishes Of Eden. Have you ever been there.? Great customer service healthy fish, far prices
Brian
Old 11/25/2007, 01:26 PM
TANK RAIDER!

guys fish die - its part of their life cycle, every store has them fish that is, Its up to the customer to choose.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

you also have to remember, your moving from one tank to another. New surrounding Stress water conditions etc. This is why they put a Guarantee on fish.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Every time i go to age of aquarium most of their fish have ick. I would deff check out Fishes of Eden and if its not to far for you CRF.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

The fish that I got did not go into the new tank. It went into a very well established (5-6 years) QT tank. There are no meds in it yet. I wanted to watch him for a while. I always acclimate them very slowly.
This is the first time that I bought fish there. I saw there Holiday sales flyer, so I went to check it out. Steve was not there when I was there and nobody told me to buy them in pairs.
It did not come directly out of the bag. I saw those signs. I would never buy directly from the bag either.
Live and learn!
Old 11/25/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Is it just me but, I don't like to post negative information about LFS?
Old 11/25/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

i only post negative info about that i just post negative experiances. i have nothing again beverly's.

thats for Fishes of Eden info, i headr about it before but i couldnt remember the name of the store and was trying to find it yesterday
Old 11/25/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Reef
i only post negative info about that i just post negative experiances. i have nothing again beverly's.

thats for Fishes of Eden info, i headr about it before but i couldnt remember the name of the store and was trying to find it yesterday
Fishes of Eden
Old 11/25/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks. im about to head there in about a half a hour
Old 11/25/2007, 04:24 PM
TANK RAIDER!

cmon the fish was alive at the store right?

That means is only one persons fault.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

gasman, I'd like to believe that, but I've been reefing and Fish Only-ing since I was around 12. Beverly's has been around for as long as I can remember, I used to go there when it was on the NORTHEAST corner, before they moved to the SOUTHWEST corner of Pines and Univ. First the positive, I agree, Steve is the most knowledgeable guy I've ever dealt with. That being said, I haven't talked to him in around 6 years when he really ticked me off. I had a show quality Salvinia cichlid that he said go ahead and bring in, we'll give you store credit for it... I was setting up a saltwater tank and was planning on spending around $1000 for the stuff to get it going. We came in, he acclimated the fish and dumped him in (way too soon) and said, okay, we'll give you $2 for it. I paid around $15 2 years before for a tiny fish, and this guy was much bigger (around 3"). He had done this for me a couple of years before that, with a huge oscar and pacu that had outgrown my tank, and they'd made me happy with that store credit.

Finally, I agree with the quality of fish, I've had around a 50% mortality rate from them. Haven't bought a fish since.... that's how I deal with poor quality. I still buy the occasional drygoods from them.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:42 PM
TANK RAIDER!

again only one person at fault the consumer.

If u don't like it don't buy it.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

First off... Was it wild or tank raised?

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Did you see it eat at the store? WC cardinals can be hard to get to eat. If they dont eat, they will usually go down hill fast. Always ask to see a fish eat,expecially picky eater, before you buy them!!
Old 11/25/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

He ate in our tank the first day.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

the wrasse i got just came in that day, so theres no telling if it would have lived. he cut the bag open and put food in there. one of them died withing the first half hour and the other seemed fine and ate some brine shrimp. when i got hom he burried himself for the first day and then the next morening was swimming funny then later died an hour after that. not my fualt on this except that i bough a fish the same day it came in... i wont do that again. does steve still do credits? becuase when i asked him (twice) he said they dont...