Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 11:58 AM
Fish what? Look @ me

I only have one 90 for input of the pump coming from the skimer box to the pump. I also oversized the 90 using 1.5 PVC and then using 1" reducers on both sides. For my return portion of the pump I am using spa hose and one 45 degree angle to the input of the dual beckett. The spa hose and the 45 was the latest revision...and it has payed off greatly to the performance of the pump.

My orginal question was the alightment of the 90's inside the box for both becketts and the feed pump. Is there a rhyme and a reason for the positions of these 90's. Essentially they are all pointing to the middle of the box right now.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
A couple quick questions:

1. Is there a way to search this big ol' thread for what I need before asking?

2. If not, can people show me how they have ozone hooked up to their MRC skimmer? I just got a GenX ozonizer and the ozone port from Andy at MRC. Also, I'd like to see how you run the air exhaust from the waste collector through carbon, as well as the water outlet through carbon. My skimmer sits level with my sump, so I think I'm going to have to run the water up through carbon? But ideas/pictures would be great. Thanks.
I dont run any carbon
two reasons for this in my situation,
1) i cant smell any ozone coming out of my reactor ( i low dose with 50 mg)
2) the output of the skimmers beats up and crushes the carbon.

With that, i take risks. Im sure my skimmer is blowing off any excess ozone that might enter the tank. This has been setup like this for about 6 months.

Old 11/01/2007, 02:11 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by BrokeColoReefer
I dont run any carbon
two reasons for this in my situation,
1) i cant smell any ozone coming out of my reactor ( i low dose with 50 mg)
2) the output of the skimmers beats up and crushes the carbon.

With that, i take risks. Im sure my skimmer is blowing off any excess ozone that might enter the tank. This has been setup like this for about 6 months.
Actually, mine's been running for a bit now. And all I have to say is, ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/01/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Awesome! glad thats working for you. Why do you suppose we dont smell any ozone coming out?
and your tank looks awesome BTW
Old 11/01/2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks! Yours gives me equipment room envy

I'm not sure about the ozone. I remember back in the 80's/90's at the LFS that used ozone, the entire reef tank area reeked of the stuff as soon as you opened the cabinet door, so they were clearly overdosing? Or the skimmer was poorly designed for the application of ozone? Not sure. I know my ozonizer was bought used, so I can't be sure how close to the 250mg/hr rating it is actually working at, but it's on A LOT, and still no ozone smell.... I definitely smell it if I remove the carbon from the waste collection vent though!

BTW, have you noticed stinkier skimmate. I mean, since I hooked this puppy up, my whole living room smells!!

Old 11/01/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

the last time i ran ozone was through a ASM g-4x. The skimmate was always white and bleached looking, and my house smelled like ozone.. For some reason, i am having the same experence as you, my skimmate is darker and smells so bad that its not a fun chore to dump the bucket. But, i only run a 50 mg unit..

I will trade my room for your tank looks like we have just about the same equipment anyway.

the barrel on the top is my DIY kalk reactor, the three barrles below are part of the continues water exchange system. The exchange system will be set up for the first time today. I hope the combination of the MRC skimmer, the Ozone, the fuge, and the waterchanges i will get similar results as some of the pros. Equipement can only take you so far, you have to have a salty thumb to get the results your are getting
Old 11/01/2007, 03:03 PM

Hmmm, perhaps the turbulence in the beckett skimmer is the reason?

Old 11/01/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Could be. I love that damn skimmer.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

I'm having problems with my skimmer. I redid my sump configuration so I had to redo the plumbing on my skimmer. After the gate valve is:
1.5" male threaded x female slip adapter -> 4" of 1.5" PVC -> 1.5" tee -> 1.5" PVC down to the sump. The output is submerged but the foam in my skimmer keeps rising then falling and I think theres a siphon happening but I dunno why. The output is also submerged about 2 - 3" under the water. Any suggestions? Also I have had it running for two days now and the foam is nowhere near the collection cup. I run the water level at a little over 3". I never had any problems when I had it setup before but the output was slightly different.
Old 11/17/2007, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Hello all,

Just purchased a used MR2 and have a question regarding the input into the injector. I notice that many folks have different arrangements (tees, 90s, unions, etc...). Should that connection, whatever it is, be glued into the flange or should you be able to remove it?

Thanks!
Old 11/24/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Can I join the club? I just got an MRC MR2 skimmer. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvj9aAJL-7s

I have a question already:

This morning, I cleaned the collection cup on the new MRC skimmer for the fisrt time. To clean it, I unplugged the pump, took off the cover and wiped the inside of the cup as well as the riser tube. When I plugged the pump back on, the bubbles climbed really fast up the riser tube. I had to to back the valve on my pump to keep anything from spilling into the collection cup. I didn't want to open the gate valve on the outlet of the skimmer since that seems to be in the correct spot when the skimmer is operating properly.

Is this normal after cleaning the cup and neck?

Thanks
Old 11/24/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

i usually turn the air input all the way off after cleaning until the water level stabilizes, then bring it back up to where it was.
Old 11/24/2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by anothermineral
Hello all,

Just purchased a used MR2 and have a question regarding the input into the injector. I notice that many folks have different arrangements (tees, 90s, unions, etc...). Should that connection, whatever it is, be glued into the flange or should you be able to remove it?

Thanks!
IIRC, it's a slip connection, so you're gonna have to glue it. I just glued unions right onto them, so I can disconnect the piping from them.

Old 11/24/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Thanks. I've got a question for you. When the air is all the way off, how high up the main column should the water level be?
Old 11/24/2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newsalt
Thanks. I've got a question for you. When the air is all the way off, how high up the main column should the water level be?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...2#post10313782

Old 11/24/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

i have mine just under where the bottom of the beckett is, if you imagine it suspended in space. the MR-2 has larger diameter risers than mine, so it may be different for you. i try to keep it so i can skim as wet as possible without experiencing overflow episodes.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:27 PM

Hehe...my link was to a post you already made drstupid

Old 11/25/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Does this look normal? This is a shot of the beckett injector. That's water shooting out of the holes in the side of the injector.

Old 11/25/2007, 10:35 AM

Yup, sometimes mine does that, sometimes not. Doesn't appear to make a difference.

Old 11/25/2007, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

OK. That's two to one. I showed that photo to two members of my Reef club. One said it's normal, the other said it wasn't. Now you say it's ok as well, so I guess I'll leave it alone. I was prepaired to call MRC tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks SDguy.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

newsalt what pump do you have on the skimmer?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newsalt
Does this look normal? This is a shot of the beckett injector. That's water shooting out of the holes in the side of the injector.

if you put a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the top and bottom of the injector, where the rubber bands are holding the casing together, it should stop that. it also helps stop the beckett from rattling, something else that will happen occasionally.

i've stopped doing the tape trick over time, none of the problems it solves have anything to do with the proper functioning of the skimmer, and i find that i'm more likely to clean the injector when it's easier to do the maintenance.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

SDguy et al,

Just to be clear about the 90 slip going into the injector, in Newsalt's picture, the 90 slip/fpt fitting is glued into the black injector flange?

Thanks
Old 11/25/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
newsalt what pump do you have on the skimmer?
I have a Reeflo Marlin. I specifically asked the new owner of MRC if that was ok and he said it was. Hope it's not too powerful.
Old 11/25/2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anothermineral
SDguy et al,

Just to be clear about the 90 slip going into the injector, in Newsalt's picture, the 90 slip/fpt fitting is glued into the black injector flange?

Thanks
Yes the grey schedule 80 elbow is glued to the top flange. I personally had custom straight (non elbow) attachments made, in case you look and my pics and wonder