Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Question about new tank setup

I am setting up a 30 gallon tank and have the following items: Emperor 400 filter, seaclone 100 skimmer, and a sunpod pro HQI 250W. Is this an ok setup? what limitations will I have with fish, corals, etc.? Thanks again for any responses!
Old 11/25/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

IMO, get some live rock and sand and enjoy. No large fish, and stick with soft corals for now. Learn how not to kill everything before you get the good stuff.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

First [welcome]
The emperor is good for flow, you have to clean it often to keep it from being a nitrate factory but with proper maintenance it will do good
The sea clone gets mixed revues here
lights sounds great.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:37 AM
Aquarium Addict

Be very patient.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Welcome!

You have one of the more important factors in reefing complete - your lighting is just great.

Think of using live rock and sand as your main component of filtration, second to the skimmer.

The skimmer is, well, okay for now. But you will want to keep the idea of upgrading later on when you begin loading up your tank with fish and corals.

The Emperor filter is fine for water flow and adding carbon and/or other chemical filtration media when you begin adding corals, many softies will produce chemical compounds for defending themselves, so carbon is used to remove these compounds. Try to keep any type of mechanical filtration out of the filter or if you use it, clean it often to reduce the buildup of nitrates.

Other than that, patience is a good virtue to have!
Old 11/25/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

You've got the minimal of what it takes. A little advice which you'll hear often and often is true: be PATIENT, add slowly, and learn about what you'll put into your tank. Keep water quality good and your tank will thrive! Have fun and enjoy
Old 11/25/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

new

i have the sea clone 150 it works good at first then ot so good. there are a few forums around in how to modify the sea clone does yours have the maxijet 1200? take the prefilter off dont use it go to home depot and get a metal air adjustment so you can adjust more accuratly. you will also want at least 1.5 lbs of liverock if premium fiji others are a little more poreus. make sure to cycle the tank i hear about peaple puting stuff in a week after setup and thats becouse they test it and everything reads 0 but it hasnt even had a chance to go up yet. one more thing there is no such thing as fully cured liverock. unless shiped in water there is always going to be die off. other than that good luck and welcome to the addiction

steve
Old 11/25/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

I am setting up a 30 gallon tank and have the following items: Emperor 400 filter, seaclone 100 skimmer, and a sunpod pro HQI 250W. Is this an ok setup? what limitations will I have with fish, corals, etc.? Thanks again for any responses!

well i dont know anything about the emperer 44 filter or the sunpod (ive never used them).
but i do have a seaclone 100 ( i have a 29 gallon tank)
the seaclone isnt really a great skimmer. i have heard that the aquac remora hang on skimmer is the best skimmer you can get. i bought one but returned it because i discovered the seaclone100, which i thought would do a better job because its for up to a 100 gallon tank, and the remora is for up to a 75 gallon or somthing like that. and the remora was about 70 dollars more expensive. but now i regret returning it. from what ive heard, the remora is a way better skimmer. im planning on upgrading to the remora after christmas by the way.

also, you will need a powerhead (a maxxi jet 1200 would do a good job), a good heater, and thermometer.

you should get no more than 1.5 pounds per gallon of live rock. i made the mistake of getting about 2 pounds per gallon. i ended up selling 20 pounds to a fish store and then still having too much.
also about 1 pound per gallon live sand. i would recommend maybe 15 pounds of actual live sand and 15 pounds crushed aragonite.

im not sure about fish and coral limitations ( im pretty new at the hobby myself)

good luck!
Old 11/25/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Yes I am planning on 40-50 pounds of Fiji live rock. When talking about the emeror filters, should i take out the gauze pad and just run the carbon chips? did I understand that right?
Old 11/25/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the gauze pad will act as a mechanical filter and get junked up really quickly. If the carbon chips don't have some kind of net container you can use the misses pantyhose (ask first before cutting up a pair! ) to hold it.

Mark